Pirates Ahoy!

Man of Honour
I have Boinc and VMWare Server 2.0 running on my VMware host. There are no crunchers in the VM's but the host is crunching away on 4 cores.

Soldato
Looking good, boys. Looking good.

cteamcred3.php

Soldato
Looking very good!

Not running r@h to full capacity at the moment. I'm running down my mess of a cache, which currently contains several AP WUs and a few large QMC WUs that I accidentally ended up with when I asked for work for the wrong project :o. Once all that's tidied up, and depending on where we stand with r@h, I may rejoin SETI, though I don't mind sticking with rosetta for a while longer if need be :)

Hi,

I was going to wait for my one million certificate from Seti before doing a temporary switch but as soon as my cache clears (only a few hours if that) i'll switch over and help out where I can for a while.

Besides I can hardly parp 'The Tross' while he is away fighting can I :D

Cheers, Simon.

You may as well. Even when I'm running at full speed there's no way I can fend you off :(

Associate
Hmmm, my PIII notebook has slaved away on Ubuntu 8.04 for 8 hours and uploaded it's work and this came up on my results page:

Code:
11 Mar 2009 18:23:08 UTC      Over     Validate error      Done       29,056.68

Any ideas?

Man of Honour
OP
Yeah, the workunit crashed with a segmentation fault...

http://boinc.bakerlab.org/rosetta/result.php?resultid=234622721 (short-lived link - will disappear in 24 hours).

Code:
<core_client_version>5.10.45</core_client_version>
<![CDATA[
<stderr_txt>
BOINC:: Initializing ... ok.
[2009- 3-11  0:49:28:] :: BOINC :: boinc_init()
BOINC:: Setting up shared resources ... ok.
BOINC:: Setting up semaphores ... ok.
BOINC:: Updating status ... ok.
BOINC:: Registering timer callback... ok.
BOINC:: Worker initialized successfully. 
Registering options.. 
Registered extra options.
Initializing core...
Initializing options.... ok 
Loaded options.... ok 
Processed options.... ok 
Initializing random generators... ok 
Initialization complete. 
Setting WU description ...
Unpacking zip data: ../../projects/boinc.bakerlab.org_rosetta/minirosetta_database_rev26003.zip
<unzip> <-oq> <../../projects/boinc.bakerlab.org_rosetta/minirosetta_database_rev26003.zip> <-d./> 
Firstarg=true; pp=-d./ 
firstarg: <-d./> 
End of unzipping.
Unpacking WU data ...
Unpacking data: ../../projects/boinc.bakerlab.org_rosetta/lrfrag_t328_.zip
<unzip> <-oq> <../../projects/boinc.bakerlab.org_rosetta/lrfrag_t328_.zip> <-d./> 
Firstarg=true; pp=-d./ 
firstarg: <-d./> 
End of unzipping.
Setting database description ...
Setting up checkpointing ...
Setting up folding (abrelax) ...
Beginning folding (abrelax) ... 
BOINC:: Worker startup. 
Starting watchdog...
Watchdog active.
Starting work on structure: _00001
# cpu_run_time_pref: 14400
====>
called boinc_finish
[color=yellow][b]SIGSEGV: segmentation violation[/b][/color]
Stack trace (17 frames):
[0x8f88f07]
[0x8fb3778]
[0xb7ffe420]
[0x8fe74d4]
[0x804adf8]
[0x865972e]
[0x8663a21]
[0x8628e86]
[0x813a5a8]
[0x8137206]
[0x844b39b]
[0x843ef88]
[0x8192ffc]
[0x81a2a17]
[0x80498ea]
[0x900f84c]
[0x8048111]

Exiting...

</stderr_txt>
]]>

Could be random bad luck, bad hardware design, or just old age. It'd be worth checking ventilation and trying to blow away any dust build-up.

Other things I spotted:

It didn't finish even the first simulation, so it's doubtful you'd have got much credit anyway. It may just be too slow. You could try setting it to run for 24 hours, but it's doubtful you'll see more than 50 PPD from it, so you might just want to turn it off.

If you do decide to continue, 5.10.45 is a somewhat old BOINC build. It could be that. I'd recommend using 6.2.15 (6.4.5 works but I've noticed a few scheduler bugs with that one).

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Third best day ever for the team in R@H :)
Code:
Best five days
Date		Credit
2008-09-24	195,016
2008-08-06	106,136
[COLOR="Lime"][B]2009-03-11	71,385[/B][/COLOR]
2009-03-10	61,805
2008-09-02	57,822

Associate
Looking very good!

Not running r@h to full capacity at the moment. I'm running down my mess of a cache, which currently contains several AP WUs and a few large QMC WUs that I accidentally ended up with when I asked for work for the wrong project :o. Once all that's tidied up, and depending on where we stand with r@h, I may rejoin SETI, though I don't mind sticking with rosetta for a while longer if need be :)

You may as well. Even when I'm running at full speed there's no way I can fend you off :(

Hi,

You can blame my recent speed increase on Raistmer's V10b package which finally allows me to use my new i7 rig at full capacity and also my office for buying most of it for me :cool:

Talking about the office I have always resisted using any of the pc's there for Seti etc but have temporarily enlisted a new i7 machine which is sitting idle for a week or so until it takes over as our main server. My home rig is currently sharing 50/50 with Seti & RH.

Cheers, Simon.

Associate
I'd like to see some numbers from an i7 machine (benchmarks, PPD, that sort of thing) if anyone is willing. :)

Hi,

What sort of benchmarks?

There is one sitting at my work running Rosetta at the moment (just for a week or so unfortunately) to help keep the Pirate Fleet on the horizon.

Its a bog standard i7 920 running 1333 ram on an Asus P6T WS Pro, turbo is on as is hyperthreading so it runs around 2.8gig, link is here if it will show up.
http://boinc.bakerlab.org/rosetta/show_host_detail.php?hostid=1023327

Cheers, Simon.

Associate
I'll give him his due - he's doing that with less systems than me - but I did pass him to get where I am now.
I did sneak my way in and sat almost 1k RAC points ahead of anyone else for a while then TPF came along and my flagship is now just a battleship.

I'm still in the top 5 and that'll keep me happy :D

Heh there's quite a large disparity between the top 5 RAC users.

Man of Honour
Ooh we just stomped The Planetary Society! :D

We are actually 12th overall in RAC so we should keep at it for some Parp/Stomp action over the next few months :D

Last edited:
Soldato
Been looking at getting an nvidia card for doing SETI on but have no idea which one to get. Would one of the new GTS 250s be any use? I don't play games, so it would purely be used for DC projects. If there's a cheaper card that would do the job well then that would be good, but the 250s are supposed to be quite energy efficient and run cooler, or so I've read.

Idea being that I could do SETI on that and then use the three spare cores on me quad for rosetta for the time being.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom