Pirates Ahoy!

Associate
That's probably not too bad then, my average is not quite twice yours and I run a C2D 6700 around 50% of the time.

As said before, I won't win any prizes, but every little helps. :)

Man of Honour
OP
http://boinc.bakerlab.org/rosetta/show_host_detail.php?hostid=864190

That's equivalent to a 1.92GHz C2D laptop switched on 12 hours/day.

In fact, the laptop contains a 2.4GHz C2D, but I wasn't comfortable with the heat it was putting out, so I've capped it at 1.92GHz using SpeedStep and limited BOINC to one core only, which yields a 30C temperature drop - rather more comfortable if somewhat less efficient.

MGP

MGP

Soldato
I do hope we're not heading for the doldrums so soon. Looking at our team stats for yesterday it's as if half our fleet was dismasted :(

Soldato
It's not all bad MGP

cteamcred3.png

Associate
Something went a bit funny with yesterdays updates so everyones RAC dropped. All seems to be back to normal now :D

As for the RAC thingy WoZZeR, I'm pretty sure that R@H grants credit based on how many iterations you managed to complete within the allotted time. A work unit will run for as long as you ask it to within which time, you'll do as many iterations as possible. Different to other projects where they grant credit based on each unit completed so a faster CPU = more units within a time span = more credit.

Other factors come in to it as well which I found out when I tried to get my Phenom working properly. If you haven't done so, try setting the cache to 1-2 days, that seems to grant a credit boost :)

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
I was doing maintenance on Team OcUK early yesterday and didn't get to switch the updates back on until early afternoon. For some projects that makes no difference, and for others it does. Rosetta appears to be in the latter category. :eek:

Nothing to worry about. Move along. Nothing to see here. Programmer blaming his tools. Etc. :D

PS - I do this once a month now. After the catastrophe that happened last year when it ran out of disk space and promptly crashed and burned with no recent backup in sight, I'm a little more careful. :)

Last edited:
Associate
Other factors come in to it as well which I found out when I tried to get my Phenom working properly. If you haven't done so, try setting the cache to 1-2 days, that seems to grant a credit boost :)

Cheers for that, I've increased the cache to 2 days and now have a nice queue of work waiting to be crunched. :)

I have noticed with the old cache of 0.25 days that it sometimes starts a 3rd unit before the others are finished. Will be interesting to see if this continues.

Soldato
Is there anyway to make Boinc run when logged out?

For older BOINC versions under Windows XP:

1. Install BOINC as a service*.

2. Go into the services list (Control Panel > Performance and Maintenance > Administrative Tools > Services) and right-click BOINC, choosing Properties from the context menu.

3. Under the Log On tab, ensure the Local System account radio button is selected. Ignore the Allow service to interact with desktop checkbox, I don't think that's relevant.

4. Click OK.

As said, that works for older BOINC versions under XP. I've never used Vista so I can't help there.

*For the latest BOINC version it doesn't directly ask if you want to install it as service; instead, I think you need to ensure the Protected application execution checkbox is ticked. I know doing this creates issues in Vista, but again I'm not sure what.

Man of Honour
OP
Hi, can someone explain why the massive rise seen in that graph doesn't appear in the newer one?
Because that's a worldwide graph. It'll be in there somewhere, but on that scale you might not see it. See link above. :)

PS - anyone is welcome to hotlink from Team OcUK for use on this forum (and TPF are welcome too). The site was designed to cope with 100x the load it's getting at the moment (I'm actually disappointed it's seen so little usage which is part of the reason I've considered pulling the plug before now). If the load gets too high I do have the means to pull the plug.

Man of Honour
That's a staggering graph :) . Good to see that people didn't all jump ship when we beat the pirates.

Well I'm still topping the daily average, am also top in FAH and second in milkyway :)

Seti@Home which was my original and favourite is suffering the most :(

Back
Top Bottom