Plane Spotters / Flight Radar Thread

Soldato
Just had two of these bad boys buzzing the house for 10 minutes, looping around Staverton airport:
m4uqh8Kh.jpg

Extremely loud and neighbours moaning, but I ran out and was seeing if I could grab a shot of Maverick..

Nothing showing on Flight Radar when I popped back in..

Associate
Just had two of these bad boys buzzing the house for 10 minutes, looping around Staverton airport:
m4uqh8Kh.jpg

Extremely loud and neighbours moaning, but I ran out and was seeing if I could grab a shot of Maverick..

Nothing showing on Flight Radar when I popped back in..

Dammit - I was at Staverton for some lunch at the Aviator on sunday, and in London on saturday...

In other news, a P8 from Lossie with callsign Rescu51 is currently working it's way south. I used to be an engineer on Nimrod, with the 24/7 one hour search and rescue standby our top priority...

Man of Honour
In other news, a P8 from Lossie with callsign Rescu51 is currently working it's way south. I used to be an engineer on Nimrod, with the 24/7 one hour search and rescue standby our top priority...

Quite a bit of activity off the south west with that P-8 wonder what has happened, only thing I can see is some Russian ships moving through but the pattern the P-8 is flying looks like a search and rescue kind of thing plus the callsign being rescue. HMS Richmond is in the general area but the P-8 seems to be flying a larger pattern.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Second one appears to be spinning up as Rescu51 returns:

wiqSbkD.png

Dunno if on the same task - a ton of military stuff has been heading north this morning along Norway and a Rivet Joint at least moving into the Barents Sea.

EDIT: New one has callsign RFR7040 - usually use that when relocating to another base.

Got a Canadian Lockheed CP140 Aurora, Norwegian Boeing P-8A Poseidon as well as the UK Boeing Poseidon MRA1 all active around the North Sea.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Busy day out there for maritime patrol, also the Rivet Joint returning back from the Barents Sea. There is also another couple of US/UK ones which aren't currently showing and additional maritime patrol planes from other NATO nations including Canada and Norway operating over the North Sea which aren't currently broadcasting either.

arBmARs.png

Last edited:
Man of Honour
B-52s up over the UK along with a bunch of other stuff and some Italian air force for whatever reason

6dZYjme.png

EDIT: Not sure if the Italian one is miscoded - it has been flying at 2000-6000 feet at an average speed of 20knts...

EDIT2: Multiple P-8 Poseidons off the north of the UK as well.

Last edited:
Soldato
This is pretty neat:
hXjQyU6.png

There's 2 Aero L-159 planes following 2 really old Dassault Falcon 20s (over 50 years old) really closely over the north sea.

I googled the reg of one of the old Dassaults, and it's used for live fire towing exercises, where apparently they tow things for training planes to shoot :D

Here's a report where the plane I'm watching seemed to have a problem with its towing cable, and they published the report on gov.uk

Soldato
This is pretty neat:
hXjQyU6.png

There's 2 Aero L-159 planes following 2 really old Dassault Falcon 20s (over 50 years old) really closely over the north sea.

I googled the reg of one of the old Dassaults, and it's used for live fire towing exercises, where apparently they tow things for training planes to shoot :D

Here's a report where the plane I'm watching seemed to have a problem with its towing cable, and they published the report on gov.uk

Happens everyday nearly :) They take off from Teesside most often. Planning to go down there to have a look soon.

If you keep looking there are often Typhoons or Hawks that intercept them.

Last edited:
Associate
FRA Aviation used to do the same sort of job - they'd have Hawks flying off each wingtip which would then shoot off towards the Navy ships pretending to be missiles so the crews could practise aiming and firing at incoming weapons.

Man of Honour
I've always thought the Falcon 20 is a great looking plane. Since the Ukraine war kicked off Draken Europe have been pretty busy with military training.

Man of Honour
Not looked to see if there is an exercise on, etc. and part of it looks like training with F-16s up but a massive amount of heavy stuff up over the US including Nightwatch and dozens of tankers and various ISR aircraft.

EDIT: In fact they seem to have every single one of their active tanker fleet airborne or close to that - KC-10A Extenders, Boeing KC-135R Stratotanker and Boeing KC-46A Pegasus from west to east coast and extending out over the Atlantic.

Last edited:
Soldato
Anyone hear the sonic boom about an hour ago? From what I can see, a Typhoon was scrambled to a Ryanair flight that had lost comms. Although it regained comms and the Typhoon turned back.

Typically I'm on holiday so didn't even hear it. Although the cameras sure heard it!

Associate
Anyone hear the sonic boom about an hour ago? From what I can see, a Typhoon was scrambled to a Ryanair flight that had lost comms. Although it regained comms and the Typhoon turned back.

Typically I'm on holiday so didn't even hear it. Although the cameras sure heard it!

I thought I heard a bang earlier. I had my earphones in though so wasn’t sure what I’d heard. Now I know

Back
Top Bottom