Platypus' Beginners Guide to Running

Associate
Why is it when comparing running speeds, those with comparitively "long legs" don't see it as an advantage? :confused: They say there must be something wrong with my stride if I physically can't run as fast as them? :(

long legs is great for sprinting but for long distance i don't see it as an advantage at all. despite having long gangly legs myself i can't stride out as much as i want without blowing out.

Associate
Hi All,

Just finished my 1st 10k after being diagnosed with Quadriceps tendonitis. Took a few weeks to get there though.

Not sure how I developed Quadriceps tendonitis but I think it may have somthing to do with not wearing the correct running shoes and not stretching enough. My GP was not much help with this!

Has anyone used the "He Runs She Runs" store in Bluewater to have thier Gait checked? If so, are they any good? If not, any recommendations in the Essex area?

Also, any recommendations for stretching correctly?

Thanks in advance.

Associate
I am 43 years old and started running properly when I got my GPS watch earlier in the year to log my runs, I am currently running 10 miles with a couple of shorter 7 milers in the week and hope to progress, what I have found though is quality nike or adidas or wicking material shorts and tops make all the difference, I currently run in Nike dry fit stuff and this has improved my running no end as no chaffing and it wicks away sweat.

Quality running shoes are also a must I use asics gel nimbus currently but hope to get my next pair properly fitted as those were off the shelf.

Great guide though :)

Associate
I used to be a decent little runner when I was 15-16 but 10 years on my fitness has plumetted and my weight has gone up to 14st 16lbs. Have considered for a while getting back into running but not really had the motivation until the recent birth of my first son 4 weeks back. Picked up some trainers yesterday, Got myself some shorts and a running tshirt and hit the tarmac :D.

Not too many parks up where I live so I planned a mile run earlier and go going. Forgot to get myself a watch to time myself though :( so will get one tomorrow.

Feel so much better already (in a mental way). Loads of information in this thread as well. I'm hoping to hit the 13st mark by Christmas with the running and work on my diet. Is that realistic? (Two runs a day (AM & PM) both a mile to start with and gradually build things up).

Caporegime
I used to be a decent little runner when I was 15-16 but 10 years on my fitness has plumetted and my weight has gone up to 14st 16lbs. Have considered for a while getting back into running but not really had the motivation until the recent birth of my first son 4 weeks back. Picked up some trainers yesterday, Got myself some shorts and a running tshirt and hit the tarmac :D.

Not too many parks up where I live so I planned a mile run earlier and go going. Forgot to get myself a watch to time myself though :( so will get one tomorrow.

Feel so much better already (in a mental way). Loads of information in this thread as well. I'm hoping to hit the 13st mark by Christmas with the running and work on my diet. Is that realistic? (Two runs a day (AM & PM) both a mile to start with and gradually build things up).

Just watch you don't over do things and burn yourself out. Maybe try and change what you do, or aim for something?

I.E aim for 10K in under an hour. This way will keep you pushing your body.

Looking for a bit of advice on clothing here guys. Currently I wear a pair of old shorts and cotton t-shirts. I could do with some decent running gear.

What is reccomended? It is going to be getting cold up here very shortly so I could also do with some sort of outer long sleeve jacket to wear too?

I have had a look, but what is reccomended.

Soldato
longer distances I'm finding hard to pace - even though I'm running indoors on a treadmill ...

managed first 10k on running machine Sunday night - 58 minutes, not too bad (for me)

managed another one tonight - was trying harder, but tried too hard and ended up running out of steam with about 500m left :( ended up at 61 minutes :(

I did try and push myself those last 500m - but decided tingling feet (like pins and needles) and being light headed was my body saying enough was enough

determined to get past my next weight goal by end of next week !

Caporegime
longer distances I'm finding hard to pace - even though I'm running indoors on a treadmill ...

managed first 10k on running machine Sunday night - 58 minutes, not too bad (for me)

managed another one tonight - was trying harder, but tried too hard and ended up running out of steam with about 500m left :( ended up at 61 minutes :(

I did try and push myself those last 500m - but decided tingling feet (like pins and needles) and being light headed was my body saying enough was enough

determined to get past my next weight goal by end of next week !

Do you run outside at all?

Soldato
Do you run outside at all?

no - I'm not that keen on it - on my own anyway - as I find it nearlly impossible to pace myself - and I tend to not push myself so hard - as I tend to feel un-easy as I panick that I'll push too hard - black out and be blacked out with no-one around etc - not likely to happen - but once thought gets in mind - it makes it worse as your body then stresses because you're stressed

that and I suffer from hayfever so running outside I get very clogged up

that said - this last 6 months I've been working hard in gym - 5 sessions a week - and since the start I've had no hayfever symptoms this year ! Normally on nasal sprays, perscrption tables, and eye drops - apparently raised testosterone can subdue to some extent allergies but don't know if true or not.

Caporegime
Only reason I asked, as I find it much easier to pace myself outside compared to a treadmill. Also, I find it much easier to settle my breathing to give me that extra push on the last few K.

If your worried about that, am sure you can get safety watches? Or did I dream them up?

Soldato
Looking for a bit of advice on clothing here guys. Currently I wear a pair of old shorts and cotton t-shirts. I could do with some decent running gear.

What is reccomended? It is going to be getting cold up here very shortly so I could also do with some sort of outer long sleeve jacket to wear too?

I have had a look, but what is reccomended.

How hot do you get when running?

Even during the winter, I find that after a mile or so I'm steaming nicely, so it's usually lycra running shorts, baggies shorts over the top (for the pockets) and a SmartWool L/S merino top.

Only if it's properly baltic do I dig my running tights out. I sometimes wear a pair of thin, loose gloves and maybe a headband. Even sub zero, I find a jacket produces a lovely boil-in-the-bag result for me.

If you're near a Decathlon (there's only 1 in Scotland though), then that's a good place for decent priced, own brand running gear.

Man of Honour
Had a realy enjoyable run yesterday. Did the Harry Hawkes Eight which starts about 5 mins from my house. 8 miles mostly along the river to Kingston and back. Did it in 1hr 8 mins which I was happy enough with. Reckon I could go a bit faster but did it with a mate and we were chatting and taking it fairly easy. He is a much more experienced runner than me and was taking it easy as part of his training for some other races.

Caporegime
How hot do you get when running?

Even during the winter, I find that after a mile or so I'm steaming nicely, so it's usually lycra running shorts, baggies shorts over the top (for the pockets) and a SmartWool L/S merino top.

Only if it's properly baltic do I dig my running tights out. I sometimes wear a pair of thin, loose gloves and maybe a headband. Even sub zero, I find a jacket produces a lovely boil-in-the-bag result for me.

If you're near a Decathlon (there's only 1 in Scotland though), then that's a good place for decent priced, own brand running gear.

I get hot enough I have never needed more than a tshirt and shorts.

It is getting close to winter here though, which are going to be bloody cold. Are long sleeve dry fit tshirt things worth the £30~? Certian brand to go with or they all much the same?

Just been roped into doing some marathon training with a friend, 12 mile this Saturday. 8k more than I have ever done, this shall be fun!! :eek::p

Soldato
Personally, I would try to find some SmartWool (or other merino) tops like this (though it's out of stock at the moment). Wiggle have some bits in stock but are more expensive. I'll try to figure out which weight of wool my two SW tops are.

One bonus of merino is it doesn't stink after one run like a man-made fabric.

Caporegime
Personally, I would try to find some SmartWool (or other merino) tops like this (though it's out of stock at the moment). Wiggle have some bits in stock but are more expensive. I'll try to figure out which weight of wool my two SW tops are.

One bonus of merino is it doesn't stink after one run like a man-made fabric.

What gives this the difference over the cheaper man made fabrics? Looks the business though. For £30 it isn't too bad though.

Back
Top Bottom