Platypus' Beginners Guide to Running

I use my phone as a tracker (runkeeper) and as an mp3 player... works good for me

i use map my run with it as an mp3 player too - works well and i have a little armband jobbie that means it is no hassle

only shame is not being able to spot check your speed - the info is basically all after the run unless you run along messing with your phone!

Went out for my first run since September today. Was supposed to be a nice simple 10km, but at about 8.5km i started chatting to an older chap (61 he said) who had 20 years of triathlon behind him, so I kept going. He peeled off at 16km and I was still feeling good so I kept going and ended up doing 23km in 2hrs 10mins.

My pace, unsurprisingly, dropped like a stone in the last 4km but I'm stunned that I could actually just set off and do it. Obviously my 6000 miles cycled this year has had an effect on my CV fitness and my lactose threshhold.

I hope to put in this kind of effort every weekend between now and March, but the real test will come tomorrow when I'm halfway to work on the bike....

[DOD]Asprilla;17937710 said:
Go to a running shop and get them to watch you run and make a recommendation based on that.

Any other advice is worthless.

Im happy with the current ones for fitting so no point in upgrading if there is such a thing?

Im happy with the current ones for fitting so no point in upgrading if there is such a thing?

If your current ones fit, are comfortable and you don't think that you are suffering any aches and pains that you shouldn't then they are the best ones for you.

Really, there isn't such a think as an 'upgrade' in running shoes, but you'll probably find yourself changing regularly because new shoes are brought out and older ones are discontinued. The fit and design can change quite a bit in this process and you shouldn't assume that the latest version of a particular should will be the same or better for you than the previous version. Also, cost has very little to do with it.

In the last couple of years I've run mainly in New Balance, Brooks and Sauscony because they are they best suited to my running style. The like of Sweatshop and Run & Become will make sure you have the best shoe for you, not the most expensive.

A pair of running shoes last me about 1000km and I've got a heavy heel strike and pronate badly.

First run in a while.... Decided to try 5K which was ok. Managed 30min dead.... I keep starting out too fast IMO. Here's the splits -

1 - 8:16
2 - 9:49
3 - 10:50

I REALLY need to learn how to pace myself :(

I cut my ankle the other day (wearing some boots in the snow which rubbed :rolleyes:) and my wife told me to look after it and not run. I ran 3 days in a row and did not look after it and now it is swollen and nasty. No running for me. Rather than let her know she was right I may still get in my running gear and go and sit in the car!;)

Any of you folks still running in this crap weather of late?

Round here the footpaths are pretty much just sheet ice and very dangerous.

I've been thinking of getting some studded running shoes, or is this just a seriously bad idea? :confused:

I've been thinking of getting some studded running shoes, or is this just a seriously bad idea? :confused:

I've heard a lot of runners say that Yaktrax Pros are great for ice running (I've heard stories of people clocking up 350km+ last winter in them without any problems). A friend of mine has them and even though he doesn't really run he's dashed up and down the road a few times in them and thinks they're great. They would save you the cost of new shoes but seem to be hard to get at the moment.

Been itching to get out myself, spurred on by some over indulgence throughout the festive period, but I daren't risk an injury from slipping.... Could barely walk on the ice on Christmas Day or Boxing Day.... Will have a look again today.

Back
Top Bottom