Platypus' Beginners Guide to Running

I've made a good start to this year, been out three times already. Really need to get myself some tights though, it's flipping freezing up here! Have to be really careful of the ice as well.

Noticed today on the Nike+ site a new watch that links in with all that fun stuff, I do want that!

Late to the party but I've got some Yaktrax Pro grips. Tried them out round Sefton Park in Liverpool on Boxing Day. Lots of snow /ice with some clear tarmac in places. Worked a treat on all surfaces. I think I can feel them slightly, so I wouldn't want to run for 2+ hours in them but for getting out when there's snow about, they get a thumbs up from me.

I was running with my girlfriend's sister who had some Get a Grip "spikes" on (from Amazon) - she said they were fine on the snow but dicey on clear patches.

I went ahead and got some new Asics Nimbus 12 which are awesome. As I always felt, the shoes I had been wearing previously weren't correct. They were only supporting one side of my leg and also were one size too large tbh.

I did a 5k on treadmill in around 28 mins which was pretty decent given that nothing happened over xmas holidays hehe!

I need to do a 5k outside in sub 25 mins on 26th feb so training for that has begun

I have a pair. Only use them if my regular shoes are wet.

Nothing wrong with them per se, but pref my Asics shoes; Kayano, DS Trainer & DS Racer. All of which I'd recommend if they are suitable for you, but more expensive than the lunarglide.

I have a pair. Only use them if my regular shoes are wet.

Nothing wrong with them per se, but pref my Asics shoes; Kayano, DS Trainer & DS Racer. All of which I'd recommend if they are suitable for you, but more expensive than the lunarglide.

I've never really got on with Asics. I have a massive amount of pain in my ankles just now when running, I am blaming my trainers just now. Shall give these a try as they offer a bit more ankle support, as I have already ordered them.

Though I really do fancy the Kayano 17s.

Does anyone know why the Garmin 305 causes a blue screen on Win7 64 everytime I plug it into the USB? I updated the software so what is the problem?

Just started out running as of today.

Quite fortunate in that we have a treadmill, however it hasn't worked for 3 years I think. I got a nice pair of running shoes on my birthday recently (Kinsei 3) so for the last week I set about trying to repair the treadmill which included lots of dismantling, fiddling and swearing! Finally fixed the treadmill last night, so planning to put it to good use until we have warm dry weather.

As a beginner do I need any rest days at all? I'm only running short distances atm.

Just started out running as of today.

Quite fortunate in that we have a treadmill, however it hasn't worked for 3 years I think. I got a nice pair of running shoes on my birthday recently (Kinsei 3) so for the last week I set about trying to repair the treadmill which included lots of dismantling, fiddling and swearing! Finally fixed the treadmill last night, so planning to put it to good use until we have warm dry weather.

As a beginner do I need any rest days at all? I'm only running short distances atm.

Go with what your body tells you. At first you may, but you will build up the tolerance. Just get to know the difference between DOMS and pain. You can still run with DOMS.

Go with what your body tells you. At first you may, but you will build up the tolerance. Just get to know the difference between DOMS and pain. You can still run with DOMS.

Aye I had a few dull pains along my shins whilst running for the first 2 days. All gone now, doesn't feel like I need a rest day so far.

Just need to git fit now and build some stamina! :p

Right, the running season for me has now kicked off. It's getting warmer and i've finally got some time to go running. I haven't properly run or done any exercise for a year and feel like a lazy slob with no Stamina. shocking.

Went for my first run yesterday, a 5km run, I think I had to stop and pause about 4 times to catch my breath. That's shockingly bad.

Alcohol is going out the window pretty much, as is any junk food. And today is a HIIT running day. I'm going to be aching tomorrow and it's going to be a long road to fitness. Wish me luck!

“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never." - Winston Churchill.

.... I haven't properly run or done any exercise for a year and feel like a lazy slob with no Stamina.

Went for my first run yesterday, a 5km run, I think I had to stop and pause about 4 times to catch my breath. That's shockingly bad.

.....today is a HIIT running day. I'm going to be aching tomorrow and it's going to be a long road to fitness.

A long road indeed, but a short one to injury. Perhaps you should consider a more sensible approach.

I haven't really ran since mid Oct last year for various reasons (small knee injury and doing cycling instead). Just back from my first run and easing myself back in with a short 1.5 miler

Its amazing how your fitness really suffers after taking 3.5 months off :o

Looking back at previous times and I have added over 30secs per mile and thats over a shorter distance i.e. my old 2.5 mile splits are 30 sec quicker than my current 1.5 mile splits :o :(

Stil, I have some time now to get back into it :)

Back
Top Bottom