Platypus' Beginners Guide to Running

Apologies for the noob question, but I’ve not run properly for about 15 years. Shoes look very different to what I remember! Any tips for brands/models I should be looking at as a beginner, bearing in mind I will get a gait analysis? I just don’t want to go in totally blind.

Honestly it generally depends on your feet but I’m reality you probably can’t go wrong as long as they fit well and feel comfortable.

The gait analysis is generally at the whim of the person doing it and I found most people just lazily suggested a stability shoe whereas I’ve seen physios who said that’s absolutely not required.

My best advice would be to aim for previous years models which are discounted.
I always went for the newest as I’d get 50% discount at a particular store and you never really notice the benefits of each iteration.

Hoka are generally one of the best recommended brands but I think if I was suggesting no a single shoe it’d be the Nike Pegasus. Just always seemed a great every day trainer for me.

Puma have been great for me, i have 3 pairs on the go at the moment but if i was to choose one version it would be the magnify nitro as i put most of my miles into these.
Puma are generally well priced especially for the older models, places like StartFitness normally sell them at a decent price.

I've had gait analysis done a few times over the year but not the biggest fan, it's good to understand pronation for example but usually strengthing areas resolve the issues and also if you watch professionals at the olympics for example some of them don't have perfect form.

Personally for neutral running shoes, Brooks GTS have been excellent for me. You need to get the right fitment for your foot (they do half sizes as well as narrow, normal and extra wide) but every pair of mine has given me excellent support and no blisters / foot pain since I swapped to them a number of years ago.

went for my 2nd run since moving house, i don't really know the area but living where i live we can for quite some miles before hitting any busy roads.
felt like a lot of elevation but the total climbing looks to be around 150ft ... 130ft is over 2 miles so felt hard. I basically kept running until until i hit 3 miles and then turned around, looking at the map when i got back i would have come along to the next village so might take a vest with me and do the extra miles at some point.
i've been getting what i thought was plantar faciiatus in my right foot (despite me not running for nearly a month) which seemed odd so i actually felt my foot and can feel a lump on the tendon/ligament that runs from the heel to the big toe. I have Dupuytren's in my hand and when i got some lumps on the knuckle i got told it's likely the same thing that's caused Dupuytrens so quite possible it's the same on my foot. Proper term is plantar fibroma, i've had a dr's appointment over the weekend and they're going to get a physio to check it's nothing else then refer me to orphopedics. Strangely running itself it seems fine so i'll continue with the running for now.
Can't be arsed with more time out of running, it's proper depressing! I do have a road bike but it's pretty boring in my opinion and i'm not a great swimmer so doubt i'll get into that.

Fingers crossed you can get it resolved. I'm at a loss these days around my foot, having had multiple diagnosis' and still not feeling it's right, only it's causing issues! I've got more into road biking as i don't have a choice as running 5-6 days a week just isn't an option anymore, although i'm trying to get back into it a little bit after giving up entirely back in March.

Similar to you. Road biking is just a little boring. I miss the trails/mountains. I bought a mountain bike, but the trails here are highly technical and i don't have the skill required to ride them. Although not sure i want to learn either, just too high risk of injury if you get it slightly wrong.

Have you got a golf ball or anything you can use to massage the foot? That always seems to be the go-to for plantar faciatis if it is that.

Fingers crossed you can get it resolved. I'm at a loss these days around my foot, having had multiple diagnosis' and still not feeling it's right, only it's causing issues! I've got more into road biking as i don't have a choice as running 5-6 days a week just isn't an option anymore, although i'm trying to get back into it a little bit after giving up entirely back in March.

Similar to you. Road biking is just a little boring. I miss the trails/mountains. I bought a mountain bike, but the trails here are highly technical and i don't have the skill required to ride them. Although not sure i want to learn either, just too high risk of injury if you get it slightly wrong.

Have you got a golf ball or anything you can use to massage the foot? That always seems to be the go-to for plantar faciatis if it is that.
I'm ok with technical routes on a mtb, just can't be bothered driving 45 minutes or so to the nearest trail centre. I've got a massage ball that i use quite frequently. Crap getting older isn't it!.

I do have a road bike but it's pretty boring in my opinion and i'm not a great swimmer so doubt i'll get into that
rowing machine isn't a bad call -
got one when I came to flat Cambridgeshire lacking high motivation hills for running/cycling ... and like swimming you have to use your upper body.

I now have a v-fit tornado which is not as smooth or quiet since it's chain driven (watching tv harder) as the tunturi 701, cord driven, sitting broken in the garage, after it's use during covid.

joined asics club again for the 10% + sale on gt 2000 10 - seem fine, din't need upsizing as some reviews suggested
never realise how much shock absorption has deteriorated on older trabuco until you try new guys, probably had done ~ 400miles, 4 months
which didn't last as well as predecessor zirus
53929529622_85df95f700_o_d.jpg

Yeah, new shoes are always a weird feeling.

My trail shoes are getting properly battered on the terrain over here, given i'm mainly walking now, i might look into some more hard wearing walking trainers as opposed to trail running shoes. The terrain is just too rocky and destroys everything.

Back
Top Bottom