PlayStation 4 Pro in-bound

Soldato
I hope it does release this year. It would be great to have an updated PS4 especially with a UHD player. I just hope it supports all the sound formats like Atmos and DTS X otherwise it wouldn't be much use for the enthusiast 4K movie watcher if that's going to be his only 4K blu ray player.

The PS4 can bitstream properly unlike the XB1 so the new sound formats won't be an issue.

I've personally already started buying new releases on UHD Blu-ray so I don't have to double dip at a later time.

Caporegime
No it doesn't, it works vice versa but not the other way round.

Bluray will play on a 4K player, a 4k disc won't play on a bluray player. :)
To add to that all games will still use a standard BD (so what 50GBs?) to play - UHD BDs wont be used for games until PS4 is (forcibly) retired

ps3ud0 :cool:

Andrew House more worried about losing PS4 players to PC. That's his reason for Neo.

House said that one of the key motivations for PlayStation 4 Neo was specifically to prevent high-end users from abandoning the product at an earlier point than its natural eight-year lifespan. “We’ve traditionally seen that some of the core audience tends to gravitate back to high-end PCs at some point because these are the people who want the finest graphical performance,” he said. “So here’s a great opportunity to have them stay within our ecosystem.

“If you are a person who’s just purchased a 4K television, maybe there’s not that much content around right now, so there’s something interesting about games being able to fill that gap and offer that experience. Those are the fundamentals of Neo.”

https://www.theguardian.com/technol...n-boss-andrew-house-ps4-neo-microsoft-scorpio

Sounds interesting but lets be honest its nonsense. This 'next gen' console range hasn't competed with top end PC's from the day of release. No PC player moved over to ps4 for the 'finest graphical performance'. Its all about the convenience / ease of use and exclusives.

Soldato
Sounds interesting but lets be honest its nonsense. This 'next gen' console range hasn't competed with top end PC's from the day of release. No PC player moved over to ps4 for the 'finest graphical performance'. Its all about the convenience / ease of use and exclusives.

Agreed but i'd not ditch a PS4 for a PC only as the PS4 offers exclusives titles that PC won't ever get, and not only that the PS4 eco system is something I'm fairly heavily invested into.

However with recent news from what MS are planning, I would and could easily ditch the X1 under the TV and replace with a PC and its something I've been thinking about. I was thinking of getting the X1 S but I really don't see the need as I've got an X1 at the moment and I might just save for a decent PC and buy a NEO and good spec PC and sell the X1 if xbox exclusives are heading to PC anyhow. I have said this already and IMO I think PC/PS4 combo has you pretty much covered.

I can get a darn good PC system for £800 that can easily do 1080p solid 60fps gaming with every title out there at the moment. And I'd say it could also handle possible UHD gaming with certain settings dialled down.

So my plan is not to ditch playstation or xbox but keep console gaming to playstation and xbox exclusives or games I want at higher res or more graphics control to PC and not upgrade my X1 at all. I think its a good combo IMO.

Caporegime
Is the Neo going to improve performance on existing games straight out of the box?

e.g. the likes of Doom 4 and Wolfenstein which use dynamic resolution scaling on PS4. Will they automatically see the Neo power benefit and sustain fixed 1080p without needing a patch? And games that dip below 30fps, will they see a steady 30fps? Is the patching just to add or improve graphical effects on base PS4 games?

Soldato
How can they stop it though? Wouldn't it be like a PC whereby it just uses the extra power?

They've not talked about it but it would be a huge missed opportunity if it wasn't able to do this.

Stuff like going from a fixed 900p output to 1080p, or fixed 30 fps to 60 fps, would definitely require a patch though.

Soldato
i agree, i'm still running my trusty old plasma but i'm starting to look at 4K OLED displays but no point when we have very limited 4k content.

new consoles could make me push the button, price of new tvs are dropping into £2k mark i regard as becoming acceptable

By the time 4K goes mainstream it'll be time for 8K sets - reminds me of the HD ready debacle lol.

Their already trialling 8K in Japan. I'll only upgrade once OLED 8K sets are available - not making that same mistake (720p lol) again.

Caporegime
Where's this a resolution/fps lock they won't automatically get past it without a patch. I presume dynamic resolutions like frame rate have some defined maximum that these new iterations will either hit 100% or have a vastly reduced range.
By the time 4K goes mainstream it'll be time for 8K sets - reminds me of the HD ready debacle lol.

Their already trialling 8K in Japan. I'll only upgrade once OLED 8K sets are available - not making that same mistake (720p lol) again.
8k was shown at CES this year! And yeah like you I'm more interested in OLED tech than just resolution improvements.

ps3ud0 :cool:

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
They've not talked about it but it would be a huge missed opportunity if it wasn't able to do this.

Stuff like going from a fixed 900p output to 1080p, or fixed 30 fps to 60 fps, would definitely require a patch though.

There has been talk of it and the leaked stuff said the below:

Games that launch after October have to have a NEO mode and games before this are down to devs to release patches.

Soldato
So how much will this thing cost?

Is it worth buying a Ps4 now or waiting for neo?

Only game I'm interested in ATM is UC4 but I've waited this long so can wait further for the neo and upcoming games.

Caporegime
OP
If your only interested in UC4 then I wouldn't wait.

I'd also order the Nathan Drake Collection of you haven't played any others along with The Last of Us.

Soldato
If your only interested in UC4 then I wouldn't wait.

I'd also order the Nathan Drake Collection of you haven't played any others along with The Last of Us.

Well I'll be interested in upcoming games but they're some time away.

I've played 2 and 3, TLOU on PS3 but could always replay them on PS4 I guess.

Back
Top Bottom