PlayStation 4 Pro in-bound

Caporegime
At the end of the day, I wonder how many devs will use Neo's extra power. Obviously, the first party ones. But how many will spout "Oh, well we want our games to look the same on all systems" and not bother?

Soldato
At the end of the day, I wonder how many devs will use Neo's extra power. Obviously, the first party ones. But how many will spout "Oh, well we want our games to look the same on all systems" and not bother?

Couldn't care if they looked the same if one runs at 30 and the other at 60fps that would be enough for me.

Soldato
Couldn't care if they looked the same if one runs at 30 and the other at 60fps that would be enough for me.
I think it's going to depend on the game in many instances. The CPU is purported to get nothing but a moderate overclock(1.6Ghz to 2.1Ghz I recall), meaning that the CPU could easily limit a game optimized for 30fps from being able to double the framerate, even if the GPU power is there. With these games, improving the graphics would probably take priority.

Anything that isn't CPU bound might be more likely to get a performance jump, but I can still see plenty of devs focusing on graphics enhancements as console gamers aren't necessarily quite as gung-ho about 60fps(sadly).

Soldato
Reading rumours about the Neo being upspecced to 5.5 TFlops, this implies a more powerful GPU (improved after the MSoft conference?) Good news if they can manage that and release at a reasonable price point. Eager to get myself a PS4 after trading in for this.

Caporegime
Yes, I read that interview with Jim Ryan where he laughs about the Neo being underpowered compared to the Scorpio. But he didn't confirm or deny it. I would have thought it was too late to change the specs now unless the release has been pushed back to next year?

Soldato
Yeh that did cross my mind, but I'm not sure Sony ever confirmed the specs so a chance the reports didn't give the correct specs originally.

Caporegime
Yeah, I thought about that too but I'm sure Eurogamer said they had seen the official Sony developer documentation which is why they knew the exact specs of everything. Anyway, no-one will be 100% sure until they have the box right in front of them. :D

Caporegime
Reading rumours about the Neo being upspecced to 5.5 TFlops, this implies a more powerful GPU (improved after the MSoft conference?) Good news if they can manage that and release at a reasonable price point. Eager to get myself a PS4 after trading in for this.

I think this was inevitable after MS showed their cards at E3.

No way was Sony going to put a premium PS4.5 with the speculated specs they had, that would leave them so under powered compared to XB1 Scorpio.

Especially since they haven't really announced details yet so very easy to revise the specs.

Soldato
You would think so, holding the monopoly on consoles from the start and doing as well as they have done then you would expect them to want to carrying it on with the Neo over the Scorpio.

Caporegime
I think this was inevitable after MS showed their cards at E3.

No way was Sony going to put a premium PS4.5 with the speculated specs they had, that would leave them so under powered compared to XB1 Scorpio.

Especially since they haven't really announced details yet so very easy to revise the specs.
I will be surprised if they make any significant changes from the leaked documents, they are just too far down the process and any attempt of oneupmanship is practically futile considering MS will always have the 'future' to react.

People have to realise that neither console will adequately power UHD from the proposed specs/metrics so the conversation largely becomes one of upscaling and as far as Im concerned I havent seen any argument where UHD upscaled from a resolution a bit higher than 1080p (like 1440p) is better than upscaling from 1080p.

ps3ud0 :cool:

FTM

FTM

Soldato
you have to assume none have been built yet to build up stock as they would have been leaked

so its not too late to change the spec..people were very suprised when they change the memory on the 4 at the last moment to ddr5..nobody saw it coming at all

so they could yet spring a suprise

Caporegime
I feel like sometimes Im the only one making any sense - the PS4s memory was changed before the February it was revealed (Im sure someone can confirm around about when that change happened) and was launched in that November so they had 10 months between final spec and launch.

Now if we just use that timeline and then propose that this month they only just changed it because of the Scorpio announcement - when would you actually expect the Neo? In particular taking into account the rumours of when it was due to be launched?
Oh, indeed. I forgot about that. The PS4 had its memory doubled (4GB > 8GB) because of Xbone's reveal being first.
Youre wrong
people were very suprised when they change the memory on the 4 at the last moment to ddr5..nobody saw it coming at all

so they could yet spring a suprise
And so are you...

Last edited:
Soldato
I feel like sometimes Im the only one making any sense - the PS4s memory was changed before the February it was revealed (Im sure someone can confirm around about when that change happened) and was launched in that November so they had 10 months between final spec and launch.

Yeah the ram was decided before the Feb announcement if memory serves.

The only thing Sony did at the 2013 E3 was change some of their conference and make sure the price was below that of XBox. (From what I gather) They didn't have to do much tbh, as MS had pretty much shot themselves in the foot with no pressure.

But yeah Ram wasn't a last min change at all.

Caporegime
I should also pipe up that a memory change like Sony did was relatively minor - the increase in memory density per chip meant they could still have the same amount of chips on the motherboard and likely the only difference was the additional power requirement which I wouldnt know is particularly easy/hard to sort out (I assume easy as its not like GDDR5 ram needs that much voltage compared to other components).

The kind of rumours you are hearing about upclocks and the like are far more harder to pull off especially within an APU. You have a strict TDP budget so trying to get anywhere near 100% as a discrete GPU or CPU is very unlikely unless they make the part itself simpler. Do not forget that while the XO could upclock its Jaguar, the PS4 could not and thats largely due to the makeup of the APU - the PS4 spent more of its die size on a better GPU; the XO was forced to use some of its die size for eSRAM so probably had some additional TDP budget give.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom