Playstation Plus

Soldato
I think ultimately it boils down to:

if you use it...ie you:

- play online at least a couple of times a week
- you download and enjoy the free games they put out every month (admittedly, often they're 'lesser' titles but there are definitely some really good ones and quality is on the increase in recent months it seems)
- take advantage of the discounts for games that ps plus members often get (i have many times)
- get added peace of mind with online cloud saves (my original ps4 died about 2 months ago, i'd have been gutted if i didn't have all my saves!)

...then an 83p a month price hike, whilst not ideal, is at least something that hopefully one can stomach. Especially when you consider that HOPEFULLY sony will feel a modicum of pressure to improve the service by adding new features to ensure that 'on the fence' members decide to stay on and renew.

But if you don't use it and don't feel that the services it offers are enough for you any way, then sure, i can see why an email telling you the price is going up to 49.99 a year may be enough to push you over the edge and stop you from renewing. And that's fine :)

With regards to my brexit comments, i suppose i was using that as a way of saying that we are, in Britain, becoming used to little price increases left right and centre. It's happening whether we like it or not. And the price increases aren't necessarily for legitimate reasons, but rather often because companies simply feel that they can get away with it, or legitimise it with the old 'brexit' excuse. Sad, but true.

Soldato
Why? If the servers were in the UK then maybe the rise in electricity prices would justify a rise.

Think about it. When GBP dropped, effectively everyone in the UK was paying less for their software and services. It's why I get a nice discount buying games on the UK PSN store at the moment compared to buying in Euros.

Prices aren't 'rising' in the UK, they are just remaining the same in dollar terms. You just need more GBP to buy those dollars now.

Besides the point of course because this is a global price hike, not down to currency fluctuations.

If Sony where throwing something in to justify the 25% hike.....but I don't see they are?

Soldato
Sony don't really need to justify the rise by added features. This thread is relativly tame, checking elsewhere and it's the usual, it's only X a day, if you can afford the console, you can afford online, people are entitled for expecting it for free, it just goes on and on. When you have a fanbase like that, why justify it. Most will pay, even if not happy because they hold mp hostage and a vocal portion will actively attack those who complain.

I've not been subbed for ages. I had a couple of months when I first got the ps4 to see what it was all about, but that's it. Sony throw in all the added "value" they want, as long as we still have flagship Sony titles like uncharted, running on p2p because Sony are too cheap to pay for the dedis, then no deal. With few exceptions, p2p has no business being on a paid online service, Sony should be making dedicated servers available to devs who want them and footing the bill for it, considering Sony are who you pay.

Soldato
It's an extra £30 a year for my household.

It sucks plain and simple.

Xbox isn't even close to playstaion atm for the number of quality exclusives it's turning out.

So PlayStation it is for my main platform.

Soldato
It's an extra £30 a year for my household.

It sucks plain and simple.

Xbox isn't even close to playstaion atm for the number of quality exclusives it's turning out.

So PlayStation it is for my main platform.

um...how many ps4's do you have at home? You do realise that it's possible to share a ps+ account with 2 ps4's right? (it might even be more, but certainly 2).

https://www.gamefaqs.com/ps4/691087...i-share-one-psn-plus-membership-with-two-ps4s

(there are probably better links out there but this is the one i found after a very quick search)

I do this with my son (who doesn't live with me). I have a ps4 pro with ps plus. He has a normal ps4 which i sign into with my account and make the 'primary console'. He is then able to download and play any game that is in my library, and play online, all the while being signed into his own (free, non ps plus) online ID. And there are no problems playing online at the same time or in the same server etc.

:)

Soldato
So - a 25% increase in cost. Hmmmmm.

Not sure how they can justify such a huge jump to be honest.

Has a whiff of "we can do what we like and the plebs will have to pay it". Certainly seems greedy to me.

Might go back to PC gaming online out of principle.

Poor show by Sony. Wouldnt mind if we had a 25% increase in quality/substance, though, but that is unlikely.

Caporegime
The only way I could see them integrating PS Now into the subscription is like on Nintendo switch where you get game(s) to play for that month, then if you want to continue playing them, you have to subscribe.

Back
Top Bottom