***** PlayStation Vita Official Thread *****

It will more than likely come down to £150, the 3ds didnt really take off till it was at a similar pricepoint. Im trying to hold off as I think it will move pretty quickly to that sort of level.

Doesn't take away from the fact people are still willing to pay the current price, it's pretty hot in Japan right now is it not ?

But yes it will come down in price, like everything after launch now.

Any handheld these days is comparable to a smartphone given the power of them, internet connectivity and such like.

You can't make direct comparisons with them though, its like comparing sausage to cheese. Both are foods but thats about it.

Anyway, i didn't come in here looking for a fight, just to shed some light on the vita from someone who has played it quite a bit and some info for those who (like myself) are floaters wondering if its worthwhile.

Also, back to pricing, the majority of people will be paying the RRP.

End of for me, enjoy your new toy, if you get one.

It's not £230 min though, you're going to be able to pick one up for less than £200 on launch day.

As for the jaggies and such, a lot of the launch games, including Uncharted aren't running at native res, you have to take into account that launch games never take full advantage of a systems power.

Saying it's only worth £150 when it out performs even the top end smart phones which sell for £500+ is just silly.

People seem to enter full on stupid mode over subjects like this. I've got a 3ds and its getting sold on Wednesday as Nintendo are just messing around. Mario Kart has game breaking exploits on-line which can't be patched as Nintendo haven't figured out a way to actually patch broken games for instance.

Most of the launch games will have had most of their early development done on target hardware, rather than actual hardware so any number of fairly last minute changes could have occurred which meant last minute compromises had to be made.

Look at the 3ds for instance, Nintendo blocked devs from using one of its cpu's which nerfed the first batch of games heavily.

Doesn't take away from the fact people are still willing to pay the current price, it's pretty hot in Japan right now is it not ?

From what I read it is struggling in Japan (certainly GamesTM mag gives that impression).

Obviously geeks like us are salivating over it, they really need it to be a gameboy style hit in the way the PSP never was, I think they have the games pricing strategy correct with variable price points, i think they should have them cheaper though, the top one for a handheld should be £30 max.

You can't make direct comparisons with them though, its like comparing sausage to cheese. Both are foods but thats about it.

Anyway, i didn't come in here looking for a fight, just to shed some light on the vita from someone who has played it quite a bit and some info for those who (like myself) are floaters wondering if its worthwhile.

End of for me, enjoy your new toy, if you get one.

Its not a bad comparison, an iphone can play some games with incredible graphics like Rage, Infinity Blade 2, both have app stores, both can connect to the internet.

I appreciated your opinion on it, you just need a bit of a thicker skin, no one was saying your comments were not valid.

It's actually doing pretty horrible in Japan at the moment because most of the games generally appeal to a western audience, if they get a Monster Hunter or similar game that should sort things out in Japan, though there is currently some kind of discount going on with the 3G model in Japan if you buy a game.

As for a price drop generally I don't see it happening for a while since Sony are already making a loss on each system, where's Nintendo weren't. Also Sony really don't have the funds in reserve like Nintendo did.

From what I read it is struggling in Japan (certainly GamesTM mag gives that impression).

Obviously geeks like us are salivating over it, they really need it to be a gameboy style hit in the way the PSP never was, I think they have the games pricing strategy correct with variable price points, i think they should have them cheaper though, the top one for a handheld should be £30 max.

Its not a bad comparison, an iphone can play some games with incredible graphics like Rage, Infinity Blade 2, both have app stores, both can connect to the internet.

I appreciated your opinion on it, you just need a bit of a thicker skin, no one was saying your comments were not valid.

The iPhone / all other phones have horrible controls that anybody who enjoys gaming for more than 10 minutes will hate... They could have the best graphics in the world but if controlling the games is the gaming equivalent of being poked in the eye it means nothing.

I dare say people who find phone gaming enough for their needs probably wouldn't be interested in a Vita in the first place.

Vita is a games machine first and foremost, Phones are communications devices first and foremost, big difference.

The iPhone / all other phones have horrible controls that anybody who enjoys gaming for more than 10 minutes will hate... They could have the best graphics in the world but if controlling the games is the gaming equivalent of being poked in the eye it means nothing.

I dare say people who find phone gaming enough for their needs probably wouldn't be interested in a Vita in the first place.

Vita is a games machine first and foremost, Phones are communications devices first and foremost, big difference.

Not really.

I just don't understand how. The RRP is £230 for the WiFi alone. Amazon for one are selling the Wifi, and 8GB card and Rayman for £5 less than that £230 RRP. A collection that before these sales you would have had to pay about £300 for. I think every major retailer is not selling this at the RRP. With Tescos, Morrisons and Asda all chipping in too.

I totally understand your initial impressions and they were good and clear and very unbiased which is great. It seems that the only major issue you have with the device is the price which is fine. In time it will drop in price and by that time there will be lots of games out for it and I hope you jump aboard.

What I will contest however is that it is worth £150 in current markets but then I would, I'm mildly interested in it ;)

At this point, the Vita is being aimed at hardcore tech's, people who need gadgets and who want roper controls and fidelity in games in a handheld system. Those same people are, for the most part, the same people who will pay £500 for an iPad or a smartphone or any number of other things. In time it'll drop in price to a more consumer friendly price point.

Now, could we all stop bickering. This is not a fanboy thread, just a thread for people who are interested in the device. It was not made for smartphone comparisons and the like.

On a different note. Silent Hill: Book of Memroies, the Vita exclusive has just been rated M by the ESRB. The game comes out in the US on March 27th.

Last edited:
No, PSP still outsells it I am sure and the 3ds dominates

i dnt mind if others dont buy it or if a 3DS outsells it as those games dont appeal to me so i wouldnt buy one of them. the vita suits me perfectly and hopefully sales improve but that doesnt effect me personally unless they dont develop for it which is extremely doubtful

cant wait

I just don't understand how. The RRP is £230 for the WiFi alone. Amazon for one are selling the Wifi, and 8GB card and Rayman for £5 less than that £230 RRP. A collection that before these sales you would have had to pay about £300 for. I think every major retailer is not selling this at the RRP. With Tescos, Morrisons and Asda all chipping in too.

Physical shops? All are selling at RRP.

Physical shops? All are selling at RRP.

Which physical shops though? Game and Gamestation were supposed to have just added some in store bundles albeit not as good as online, Toys r us are doing the WiFi at £210, Asda have their deal. Morrisons have an incredible bundle for £250 in store and online, I don't know if Tesco have one in store yet.

Back
Top Bottom