• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

please just stop it, stop buying

Soldato
Its sad DX12 is more popular than vulkan, the reason DX12 is not favoured is because its locked to windows 10. Whilst vulkan is multi OS.

But every game I seen that supports DX12 and 11, 12 doesnt exactly shout out excellence and a few of them perform better on 11.

Soldato
Its sad DX12 is more popular than vulkan, the reason DX12 is not favoured is because its locked to windows 10. Whilst vulkan is multi OS.

But every game I seen that supports DX12 and 11, 12 doesnt exactly shout out excellence and a few of them perform better on 11.

For the most part DX12 is just utter trash and doesn't work.

Soldato
DX12 isn't exactly poo. Most of the current engines are designed for DX11 or DX9 in the case of Bethesda. Very few games have been designed with a DX12 implementation from the start or properly integrated. The other issue is that Frostbite games with DX12 aren't really a good baseline as the engine is a PITA with DX12 still technically in BETA for the game even though it was on the forefront with Mantle in BF4 (another failed BETA test).

There are a few good DX12 applications but not many...

EDIT: Come to think of it the only two good implementations I can think of are Forza 7 and Forza Horizon 4, most of the others have a DX12 exclamation without much substance.

Gears of War 4 ran great in DX12.

Associate
Understandable that MS owned studios do use DX12 properly. I do hope Vulkan does well though as it's OS agnostic and provides the same improvements as DX12. Pretty well known that Frostbite is a crap engine to work with so not surprising the DX12 implementation is half-baked.

I did see a slight performance boost in Warhammer 2 with the DX12 BETA implementation, but it's less stable than a 3 legged chair :(

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Understandable that MS owned studios do use DX12 properly. I do hope Vulkan does well though as it's OS agnostic and provides the same improvements as DX12. Pretty well known that Frostbite is a crap engine to work with so not surprising the DX12 implementation is half-baked.

I did see a slight performance boost in Warhammer 2 with the DX12 BETA implementation, but it's less stable than a 3 legged chair :(
Yep. Not bothered about Frostbite engine as I don’t really play any games made with that engine anyway, just the odd FIFA 19 demo when mates come around :p

It seems to me that as time and budgets to create AAA games goes up, they are less likely to update engines or use new API due to even more time and resources being involved in doing so. Therefore it will take long time for DX12 to become standard unfortunately. Not even sure if new coming in around 2020 will help dx12 adoption :(

Soldato
Gears of War 4 ran great in DX12.
Forza Gears of war and Halo. All MS were built from the ground up with DX12. Most others tack it on as an afterthought and well the results are well documented in these forums.

If DX12 ever does become a ‘thing’ it’s going to take a long time!

Associate

I lost 20 fps using dx 12 in Warhammer 2 . It was just bloody terrible

Associate
In two years time we will probably be having the same argument but with 2080ti and 3080.
I don't think performance of older gen declines new stuff just gets better.
Nvidia doesn’t pay attention to older cards once new ones come out. The 780ti and R9 290x used to trade blows at one point. Now not only has it surpassed the 780ti, it surpassed the 970 and even the 980. I only trust AMD with older tech. I wouldn’t be surprised if over the next couple of years, the Vega 64 comes within striking distance of the 1080ti, as nvidia will start ignoring it from now as as they start focusing on their shiny new RTX.

Soldato
In regards to the expensive graphics card prices, I don't see why its such a bad thing. For example, if you normally spend about £500 on a GTX xx80 card (or whatever they cost), then if you can't get anything decent for that price now, it's obviously too soon to upgrade. So congratulations, your existing card is future-proofed for an extra generation. You should be happy about that.

If it is time to upgrade, there will always be a card for your budget. Whether your budget is £200, £300, £400, £500 or £600 etc, THERE IS A CARD FOR YOUR BUDGET.

People seem to be in the mindset that if they bought a GTX 780, followed by a GTX 980 then they need a 2080 this time. You need to ignore the model numbers and look at the prices. If you spent £500 last time then spend £500 this time. Nvidias prices don't affect you if you look at it in that way.

To give you an analogy - you buy a jar of Nescafé Gold Blend for £5. When the jar is finished, you go to the shop and Nescafé have increased the price of Gold Blend to £10. It doesn't matter because you can buy the Nescafé Regular for your usual budget of £5. The price rise doesn't affect you in any way (in this context, Regular has an improved formula which is nicer than the old generation of Gold).

The most popular card on Steam right now is the GTX 1060 and it will stay that way for longer than it would if RTX had been priced lower. This means that games developers will have to optimise their games more for the cards we have. Instead of upgrading to get 60fps in a game that comes out in 2 years, it will instead need to be optimised with more efficient code for slightly lower hardware. That's another reason we benefit from nvidias higher prices.

Last edited:
Soldato
People upgrade when they are no longer happy with performance. The cards Nvidia offer aren't worth the asking price by so Nvidia lose money and the market shrinks. That isn't good for anyone.

Soldato
Well the rest of nvidias product range hasn't been released yet. Once there's a 2060, 2050 ti and a 2050, they will no longer be too expensive.

If the 2080 was £500 then loads would buy it and Nvidia would have a manopoly which isn't good for anyone.

I've looked at both sides of the argument and the extortionate prices of the RX cards will result in a better situation overall, in my opinion.

Last edited:
Permabanned
Lol.

It just works! Sorry could not help it :p
giphy.gif

Soldato

IOI ditched DX12 entirely for Hitman 2. It was an option on Hitman 2016 but was never all that stable.

Back
Top Bottom