Plusnet Discussion Thread

Soldato
Wow, can't believe I never thought of looking for this bit of the forum and this thread.

I'm looking to make the move to fibre like a lot of folk here have done already. Been searching and can't see anything obvious to answer it. But I'm currently on ADSL2 and just gonna try and order up as we finally have FTTC at my area now.

Just really got a couple of questions. Do Plusnet take over billing of the landline/phoneline and does your house number stay the same as it was while using ADSL?

Cheers!

Man of Honour
FreeFaller: I'm looking to move provider, was considering Sky, but PlusNet is also tempting now, have you any negative points with PlusNet.

Well no not really. Installation was faultless. They honoured the 1/2 price offer despite it being after the offer had expired. It took less than 2 weeks to get connected. The connection has been rock solid - I remote into my home server with no issues, and streaming from home is working beautifully.

The pings don't really slow down in the evenings, and I have generally not many slow downs - but then not many people are on fibre around here yet.

I stream, a lot, vpn into work, and it's been faultless. Web pages open instantly, youtube and other streaming channels load instantly, and you can seek to any point and it's just loaded. I stream from my server when out and about, and the 18meg up I get is perfect for that - means I can remote in what feels like a regular remote desktop session it's so good.

I'm sure Sky and BT's services will offer exactly the same - but the traffic shaping seems to be less of an issue with plusnet. And if I do want to do any large downloads I schedule them over the night - not that it matters, a 5gb file downloads in 8 mins or so!

I didn't want to go with Sky as I will not support the Murdoch empire (and they were more expensive), and BT were just not as competitive on cost.

Value for money - cannot argue. Again, I'm sure Sky and BT will offer the same sort of service - but I really cannot fault plusnet. I've been on their customer care a couple of times to ask about a few things - all resolved quickly and no fuss. I haven't experience a "when things go wrong" - so I cannot comment.

I'm a happy customer. :)

Man of Honour
Wow, can't believe I never thought of looking for this bit of the forum and this thread.

I'm looking to make the move to fibre like a lot of folk here have done already. Been searching and can't see anything obvious to answer it. But I'm currently on ADSL2 and just gonna try and order up as we finally have FTTC at my area now.

Just really got a couple of questions. Do Plusnet take over billing of the landline/phoneline and does your house number stay the same as it was while using ADSL?

Cheers!

Yes they can take over the line for you and you can keep the number. Ours was seamless.

Soldato
Lots of positive comments about Plus Net fibre, so I'm considering a move to their Unlimited Fibre package.

I'm about to become BE (*spit* Murdoch-empire) refugee!

Forgive my basic question, but what router is provided? I'm guessing I'll need a wireless-N PCI card to take advantage of the full fibre speed?

Last edited:
Associate
Soon will be on FTTC with PN, i'm thinking of getting a Asus RT-N66U anyone used this router with PN any problems?
I heard the supplied router that PN send out, as not very good wireless so replacing it, will keep the PN router as fault finding and backup.

I've got the n66u and I'll be getting Plusnet soon but one thing I've learned about the n66u already is that if it says it has the latest firmware, don't trust it. I'm currently on 50 and 5 from Virgin. The first day I had the n66u, my LAN throughput was poor and the wireless was horrendous!... far, far worse than the crappy router Virgin provided. After a lot of trouble shooting I decided to double check for firmware direct from the horses mouth that is the Asus website and sure enough there was a newer version. I flashed the router with the new firmware and now my wireless speed is 50MB/s or damn near it.

Once I've played around with the stock firmware I'll probably try Tomato or DD-WRT.

Soldato
Soon will be on FTTC with PN, i'm thinking of getting a Asus RT-N66U anyone used this router with PN any problems?
I heard the supplied router that PN send out, as not very good wireless so replacing it, will keep the PN router as fault finding and backup.

Got round to installing my N66U today. The range on this thing is brilliant!
I live in a 3 storey terrace house. I am the last house on the street and it has a separate flat joined to it, which has 2 ground floor bedrooms. Router is on middle floor of house and we used to run a 30M cable to the flat so we could have another access point down there.

With the N66U, we get amazing signal without the dummy router. I get -
37Mbps in same room as router. Middle floor of house.
34Mbps in the closest room of the flat (this is through a 7" and an 11" wall)
26Mbps in the furthest room of the flat (another 5" wall)

Forgive my basic question, but what router is provided? I'm guessing I'll need a wireless-N PCI card to take advantage of the full fibre speed?

It's a Technicolor 582n, don't know much about it but expected it to be rubbish. Not even opened the box!

Last edited:
Associate
I phoned O2 this morning since I'm planning to switch to PlusNet fibre. They have put a very tempting offer on the table though - 12 months free internet.

Can't decide which I want more - 12 months free (currently syncing at 12Mbps) or Fibre (which suggests I should get around 40Mbps). The speed increase would be nice, but then so would the £150 saving for 1 year!

Associate
hmm decisions decisions, would they be putting you on a new contract? and you will be sucked into Sky corp :eek:

hmm £150 to sell your soul to sky, or jump ship and off to PN, well i'm going to PN on monday from eclipse after 9 years just got a txt saying PN router is on its way :D

Soldato
Mine was installed on Tuesday - and here are my results:

...but my Router and VDSL modem are connected via 200Mbps Homeplugs. I'm getting around 70 Mbps when I connect the router directly to the modem.

I think I might try 500Mbps Homeplugs.

Associate
hmm decisions decisions, would they be putting you on a new contract?

Yes, they told me it would be 12 months free so I'm assuming that's signing me up for a new 12 month contract. Not sure I want to get sucked up into the world of Sky though - I've never (knowingly) had any Sky related product.

Man of Honour
I phoned O2 this morning since I'm planning to switch to PlusNet fibre. They have put a very tempting offer on the table though - 12 months free internet.

Can't decide which I want more - 12 months free (currently syncing at 12Mbps) or Fibre (which suggests I should get around 40Mbps). The speed increase would be nice, but then so would the £150 saving for 1 year!

Hard to beat free internet - 12mbps isn't that bad either.

I HAD to move as we were struggling at getting much over 3mbps - so the cost was immaterial.

Back
Top Bottom