Plusnet Discussion Thread

Soldato
I think I was having bad brain last night, of course, it's gigabit on the wired so that's ok. To be honest the only wireless devices I have are either Smart home stuff which will use 2.4GHz and not need huge speed anyway, or my phone which again I don't need huge speed for.

Everything else is on my wired network so will be fine. I'm looking forward to it being installed. :)

Soldato
I think I was having bad brain last night, of course, it's gigabit on the wired so that's ok. To be honest the only wireless devices I have are either Smart home stuff which will use 2.4GHz and not need huge speed anyway, or my phone which again I don't need huge speed for.

Everything else is on my wired network so will be fine. I'm looking forward to it being installed. :)
Had mine installed 6wks ago. It's bliss.

All of my gear is over Wi-Fi and I still get 500Mb all over with tight latency.

Not that I game online but it's nice to have.

9268057750.png

Associate
My contract ends next week so looking at the options, can renew the boggo broadband (40mb) for £28 + £6 off for evening calls or go FF 145mb for £30 and month then find a VOIP with free calls.

My brother is on Swish 900 (overkill for me) but they do calls with FF for £10 a month, think I would need adapters for the phones.

Soldato
My contract ends next week so looking at the options, can renew the boggo broadband (40mb) for £28 + £6 off for evening calls or go FF 145mb for £30 and month then find a VOIP with free calls.

My brother is on Swish 900 (overkill for me) but they do calls with FF for £10 a month, think I would need adapters for the phones.
That's expensive for 145Mb.

Many providers on Openreach doing 500Mb for around 30 quid. BT have a deal on now and Plusnet was last month.

Associate
TBH I don't want to be tied in a 24 month contract, specially with their price increases!
Tempted to go with Aquiss 400mb, works out at £33 a month for 18m and no price increases.

Associate
Got totally fed up with Plusnet, they couldn't give me a timeframe for any Fibre until 2025 on a private road. Stuck with 25mb for years.

Called Cityfibre and Giganet and got 1gig fibre at £45 a month (first three months free and £50 credit) came after a few days, stuck a wire from telegraph pole to house, done! 900 meg download speed, 12 month contract

Never had any real problems with Plusnet but how can a company owned by BT not be able to put a wire in :/ well, lost a customer

Associate
Logged in today to check the offers and deals in the PN portal as they expired at midnight and now see they have FF 145MB for 26.99 a month, when it was 29.99 before the deal expired! Wonder how many people jump on the deals before the expire expecting it to be the best deal they offer! Crooks lol

Soldato
Logged in today to check the offers and deals in the PN portal as they expired at midnight and now see they have FF 145MB for 26.99 a month, when it was 29.99 before the deal expired! Wonder how many people jump on the deals before the expire expecting it to be the best deal they offer! Crooks lol
Plusnet like every other ISP are in the business of making money. And not forcing anyone to purchase their service.

If a customer can't be bothered to shop around for a good deal they deserve to get stung.

Caporegime

They have 14 days to change their mind so could cancel any upgrade they made if they wanted. Plusnet make you various offers, you choose whether or not to accept them. If they deliver what they said they would then everybody gets what they agreed on.

Last edited:
Associate
Didn't realise you have 31 days after having FF installed you can port your number over, so looks like I am moving to Aquiss, just need to find a cheapo Voip to port the number to.

Reactions: ~cw
Soldato
BT made an absolute dogs dinner splitting my number from digital voice to VOIP and the line to plusnet, long story short they allowed the port to happen 2 weeks early then cut the line for broadband a week later, blocking plusnets request to transfer.

If you're looking for cheap voip, Andrews and arnold cost £15 to port the number then £1.44/mo rental. They have call packages too but I only wanted to keep hold of the number.

Going from 300mb at £57/mo to 500mb for £31/mo. Hate these long contracts as there's always a new deal to be had, but this feels like a fairer rate for what we can get around here. BT still wanted £50+ for 500mb

~cw

~cw

Associate
I also switched to Aquiss and have been happily on their 1000/115 package since last September. No problems at all. I use a UDM Pro. Really appreciated that they 50% discounted the first six months of service to subsidise the cost of buying your own CPE. Technical support from Martin has been consistently excellent. It's nice in a way to be back on Entanet network :D though a bit sad there's no symmetric FTTP products in this area.

Ported my old landline number in advance last year to Sipgate, though I'm on a product that's apparently no longer available to new customers, so Voipfone or Vonage are probably the obvious frontrunners.

Associate
Any recent feedback from anyone on Plusnet FTTP? Openreach are finally putting FTTP in my area, I need as fast upload as possible so will go for 900/115 but BT is expensive (~£54/mo + probably two 10% rises throughout contract), can't go Aquiss because I also need a dynamic IP. Plusnet seems to be the cheapest at £45/mo for 900/115.

Associate
Generally all FTTP providers on the Openreach network will be much the same with Customer Service being the main differentiator. I'm not personally with Plusnet but I have a friend who I game with regularly who is and he has no issues at all, latency was always slightly lower (better) than my previous Sky FTTP connection.

Have you looked at EE? They are currently offering the 900 package for £42.99 per month. BT, EE and Plusnet are all owned by the same parent company so performance should be indifferent I imagine.

Last edited:
Associate
Thanks for the replies

I'm curious why you would need a dynamic IP?

PlusNet are fine, however no IPv6 if that's important to you.
The short version is I do dev work at a company with an incompetent sysadmin. He frequently sets up rules that results in IP blocks of legitimate developer traffic and won't whitelist us, doesn't provide a VPN, blocks our private VPN, blocks datacenter IPs, etc. In the end the easiest option was to just get a home internet with a dynamic IP and swap it when his silly rules block it :p. Not too bothered about IPv6 at the moment.

Generally all FTTP providers on the Openreach network will be much the same with Customer Service being the main differentiator. I'm not personally with Plusnet but I have a friend who I game with regularly who is and he has no issues at all, latency was always slightly lower (better) than my previous Sky FTTP connection.

Have you looked at EE? They are currently offering the 900 package for £42.99 per month. BT, EE and Plusnet are all owned by the same parent company so performance should be indifferent I imagine.
Do you know if EE do different deals for different locations? It says £57.99/mo for 900/110 for my postcode.

Back
Top Bottom