Plusnet Discussion Thread

Soldato
Anyone else found that the 582n router supplied is useless? If I connect the laptop directly to the router, I get 73mbps. Via wireless I get around 31mbps. Being in direct line of the router helps the signal itself but moving just a few feet out of view has a negative affect.

Soldato
Anyone else found that the 582n router supplied is useless? If I connect the laptop directly to the router, I get 73mbps. Via wireless I get around 31mbps. Being in direct line of the router helps the signal itself but moving just a few feet out of view has a negative affect.

It's no worse than I'd expect a more-or-less free ISP provided router to be. I'd just be happy that it'll handle the throughput on a wired connection, there are many cheap routers that won't.

KIA

KIA

Man of Honour
2487838321.png

Been capped like this for so long, 60GB just wasn't cutting it for us. Moving onto unlimited now. Using this speed is horrible :(

O_O

Router stats?

Soldato
Well got my MAC code from Be today and now have a provisional install date for 22nd all being well. Fingers crossed for 80/20...

Soldato

Haven't found it to be any worse than any of the free ones provided to be honest :p, it looks awfully similar to the Thompson one that be* send out

Soldato
Will there be any other offers on the unlimited fibre packages in the near future? I'm in the process of buying a house and would love to go for fibre internet (think it might blow my mind coming from a connection which maxes out at 300k a second!!!) but was sad to see the offer has ended...as indeed has the excellent cashback offer...:(

Soldato
Will there be any other offers on the unlimited fibre packages in the near future? I'm in the process of buying a house and would love to go for fibre internet (think it might blow my mind coming from a connection which maxes out at 300k a second!!!) but was sad to see the offer has ended...as indeed has the excellent cashback offer...:(
you should check out the usual places like Quidco they have them all the time, if you just missed it you can always call plusnet up and see what you can negotiate

Soldato
I haven't gone through the entire thread however PlusNet seem to be a pretty decent fibre supplier cost/performance wise. This house has been with Sky for everything for around 8yr however Sky want £50 setup fee whereas plusnet do not which is really a deal maker. However what could someone tell me the terms of the 18Month contract? What happens if you move house within that 18month contract? This is all I wish to know :p I don't have patience to hurt my eyes reading through it :( Anyone kind enough to dumb it down?

Man of Honour
I have a spare wireless AP which I think I may use instead of the built in wireless function of the router if the wireless on the router doesn't cut it. Anybody else do this?

edit: in fact I may do it anyway, as it means it by passes the router and just goes straight into my switch/network.

Soldato
Right I have my Plusnet going in a week today and am thinking about shelling out for a new all singing, all dancing modem/router. I do however have a few questions:

1. Is the supplied hardware a separate modem and router or a combined one?

2. Is the supplied hardware any good?

3. If I do decide to plump for something do I need a modem/router or just a router? I am thinking about something like the DrayTek 2850n or 2850Vn.

I forward a lot of ports and do a lot of remote access as I work away and would like to take advantage of all kinds of services like streaming, WoL (my current Netgear DG834n will not forward the packets for some reason), remote access to my NAS and IP cameras amongst other things.

Advice on what hardware I need would be greatly received.

Many thanks :)

Back
Top Bottom