Plusnet Discussion Thread

Associate
Plusnet - this is what you get

To the left is the Openreach fibre modem, supplied and installed by the BTOR engineer

The the right is the Technicolour 582 wireless router

That's about it! :)

67EEC618_zps55ae9a8e.jpg

Soldato
So do you have to use the Openreach box regardless of which ISP you go with? Would the DrayTek work with it fine?

Soldato
You leave the VDSL modem, and just use another one - so maybe an Asus rt-n56u or 66u.

Isn't the Asus just a router though? All the pages I looked at seemed to suggest it is. How important is the modem aspect? Is the Openreach one ok and would it work fine with the DrayTek?

Soldato
I'll take a pic too when i get home to confirm but it is just a thompson

I wouldn't say they were terrible personally, but i guess it depends what you want to do .

If you are used to telnet then its easy to do even advanced stuff (like enabling the IP_RESPONDER service to get f8lure working) they are very well documented all over the web.

One thing to watch out for, you only get 4 ports (one is used for the openreach modem)

Associate
If you are used to telnet then its easy to do even advanced stuff (like enabling the IP_RESPONDER service to get f8lure working) they are very well documented all over the web.

That option's in the GUI I think under Toolbox > Firewall > Allow PING on your WAN interface

One thing to watch out for, you only get 4 ports (one is used for the openreach modem)

Did you mean to say *three* ports?

So do you have to use the Openreach box regardless of which ISP you go with? Would the DrayTek work with it fine?

Until a self-install product comes along then yes, you'll be given an Openreach modem regardless. You can use a combined VDSL modem/router (I do) but they don't tend to be cheap and you might struggle setting it up unless you know what you're doing. If you do opt for this, I'd also keep the original kit handy so that you can re-instate it should the line ever develop a fault.

3. If I do decide to plump for something do I need a modem/router or just a router? I am thinking about something like the DrayTek 2850n or 2850Vn.

As above, it's possible to use a combined VDSL modem/router. Assuming you'll be keeping the Openreach modem in place, any PPPoE-compatible router with an available WAN port should work fine.

I forward a lot of ports and do a lot of remote access as I work away and would like to take advantage of all kinds of services like streaming, WoL (my current Netgear DG834n will not forward the packets for some reason), remote access to my NAS and IP cameras amongst other things.

With the stock 582n I had no problems:

• Accessing my machine remotely using RDP
  • Running an FTP server
  • Running a media streaming server (Subsonic)
  • Responding to ping requests to allow for remote latency monitoring
  • Running numerous other servers including SABnzbd, CouchPotato and SickBeard

Admittedly the 582n isn't the greatest bit of kit in the world but it's fit for purpose.

Best regards,

Soldato
I am taking the plunge with fibre in the next couple of weeks. As soon as I get a moving date I shall be pre-ordering. Am with Plusnet at the moment, but it is in the missuses name, so going to cancel that and take out a new contract in my name at our new house. Old contract on rolling contract so no problems with doing this in my opinion.

Any better deals out at the moment apart from the Quidco deal (3 months half price and £28 cashback)?

Soldato
That option's in the GUI I think under Toolbox > Firewall > Allow PING on your WAN interface

Did you mean to say *three* ports?

Until a self-install product comes along then yes, you'll be given an Openreach modem regardless. You can use a combined VDSL modem/router (I do) but they don't tend to be cheap and you might struggle setting it up unless you know what you're doing. If you do opt for this, I'd also keep the original kit handy so that you can re-instate it should the line ever develop a fault.

As above, it's possible to use a combined VDSL modem/router. Assuming you'll be keeping the Openreach modem in place, any PPPoE-compatible router with an available WAN port should work fine.

With the stock 582n I had no problems:

• Accessing my machine remotely using RDP
  • Running an FTP server
  • Running a media streaming server (Subsonic)
  • Responding to ping requests to allow for remote latency monitoring
  • Running numerous other servers including SABnzbd, CouchPotato and SickBeard

Admittedly the 582n isn't the greatest bit of kit in the world but it's fit for purpose.

Best regards,

What I will do is settle in with the new hardware for a while and see how it pans out performance wise. Thanks for the info. :)

Soldato
OP
When FTTC become available at my exchange next spring 2014, I will plugged onto BT Openreach Modem with my Netgear NGND3700 N600 High Performance wireless router on ethernet. Don't need plusnet router.

Soldato
Got my install date of the 28th....can't come quick enough.

What sot of speeds does Plusnet'straffic shaping allow Torrents to go through at? I'm considering getting an Usenet account with VPN if it's excessive.

KIA

KIA

Man of Honour
Got my install date of the 28th....can't come quick enough.

What sot of speeds does Plusnet'straffic shaping allow Torrents to go through at? I'm considering getting an Usenet account with VPN if it's excessive.

Line speed if there isn't any other traffic on the line.

Back
Top Bottom