Plusnet Discussion Thread

Soldato
Yeah I agree. As far as I can tell, BT are the only ones offering a 52mbit service so I was forced to go with PlusNet's 80/20 service last time in order to get more than 36mbit.

I'm confused? Who is selling 36Mb services? BT can no longer advertise an "up to" 55Mb product and have been told to advertise it by national average. If you order the "36Mb average" service it is effectively a 55/10 service so can expect whatever you get currently.

Soldato
I'm confused? Who is selling 36Mb services? BT can no longer advertise an "up to" 55Mb product and have been told to advertise it by national average. If you order the "36Mb average" service it is effectively a 55/10 service so can expect whatever you get currently.

Maybe that's why I'm confused then. I know the product says "average speed 36mbit" but I wasn't sure what I was actually buying. If the lowest tier package from any FTTC provider will get me a 55/10 profile and not ~36mbit down like it used to be, then I'll go with that instead of thinking that I need to get a 80/20 package in order to get the most out of my connection.

EDIT: Why do BT offer 3 packages with different average speeds then?

ZWN7BqD.png

Last edited:
Soldato
I thought most ISPs still offered 40/10 and 80/20 with 55/10 limited to BT only.

BT are currently offering three different levels:

Superfast Fibre Essential - 36Mb average (presumably 40/10 or 40/2)
Superfast fibre - 50Mb average (presumably 55/10)
Superfast fibre 2 - 67Mb average (presumably 80/20)

Soldato
I thought most ISPs still offered 40/10 and 80/20 with 55/10 limited to BT only.

Yeah you're right. It's a 38/9 service - https://www.thinkbroadband.com/isps/bt/packages/superfast-fibre-essential-unlimited

I thought BT abandoned that tier a while ago - http://home.bt.com/tech-gadgets/int...ice-offers-speeds-of-up-52mbps-11364051776492

Soldato

That'll be it. I knew only 2 of them were available mainstream and that will be why.

Soldato
Has anyone renewed their Fibre Extra contract recently? I need to call Plusnet today and it would be good to know what other people were offered to stay.

EDIT: They price matched Vodafone at £27/month, but Vodafone is offering a £75 Amazon voucher which if you amortise it across the length of the contract, it brings the cost down to £22.84/month. Time to move I guess.

Last edited:
Associate
Has anyone renewed their Fibre Extra contract recently? I need to call Plusnet today and it would be good to know what other people were offered to stay.

EDIT: They price matched Vodafone at £27/month, but Vodafone is offering a £75 Amazon voucher which if you amortise it across the length of the contract, it brings the cost down to £22.84/month. Time to move I guess.

Phoned to renew my Fibre Extra today, had to phone a couple of times to get them to match Sky at £27pm but got there in the end, on a 12 month contract. Currently paying £30.99.

Happy with the service so wasn't looking to move, just wanted to reduce my monthly price.

Soldato
Phoned to renew my Fibre Extra today, had to phone a couple of times to get them to match Sky at £27pm but got there in the end, on a 12 month contract. Currently paying £30.99.

Happy with the service so wasn't looking to move, just wanted to reduce my monthly price.

Fair enough. I was happy with the service but I wasn't prepared to pay almost £80/year more for it.

I went with TalkTalk 80/20 for £25/month + £85 cashback which ends up being £20.28/month.

Man of Honour
Plusnet's customer service isn't brilliant either. If the service works as intended, most of these providers offer an identical service at different prices.
Odd. In the very few times I've had to call them, they've been fine. UK based and helpful, failing that there's always live chat.

Soldato
I've found their support to be okay as well, both on the phone and via their user forums. I've been with them for several years now and they continue to be good enough for what they charge.

Soldato
Pity they've not been very responsive with all the issues with the new billing system their Forum Community have been jumping up and down about. I've seen plenty of tumbleweed there. It's still broken a month later, but I notice there have actually been a couple of CS responses now. Still a pretty poor show. Add to that it seems to take them nearly 2 weeks to respond to tickets at the moment (at least that's been my experience since I opened a ticket 3 weeks ago or so). Not overly impressive. It's lucky my connection hasn't been too bad, or I'd definitely be considering leaving. I may still when my contract ends if they don't buck their ideas up and improve their CS.

Back
Top Bottom