Poll: Poll Borderlands 3 Epic Games Store or wait 6 months for Steam?

Will you be buying Borderlands 3 on release from Epic Games Store or waiting 6 months for release on

• I’ll be buying on release from Epic Games Store

Votes: 55 24.6%
  • I’ll be waiting 6 months and buying from Steam

Votes: 119 53.1%
  • I won’t be buying BL3 at all

Votes: 50 22.3%

• Total voters
Associate
Why is everyone so against the Epic store? It's not like Valve do anything through altruism, its purely to make a shed load of cash. Epic have said their strategy of buying up exclusives isn't a long term plan, its to gain a market share to allow them compete with Steam.

Or are people just saying they won't use because the store/launcher/etc is crap and if that were improved they would make use of it more?

Soldato
For me it's feature incomplete gutted right now which leads to a poor user experience. There are also serious questions over security which worry me.

Lastly (and on a more personal note) I currently have all the Borderlands game on Steam and I'd like to keep it that way. Had it been a brand new series I'd probably be OK with it (assuming the security was better!)

Soldato
Why is everyone so against the Epic store? It's not like Valve do anything through altruism, its purely to make a shed load of cash. Epic have said their strategy of buying up exclusives isn't a long term plan, its to gain a market share to allow them compete with Steam.

Or are people just saying they won't use because the store/launcher/etc is crap and if that were improved they would make use of it more?

I quote this post from another thread about epic which sums things up I think. (for me atleast) especially if also reading through the twitter and watching Sterlings youtube video as well.

This twitter thread was linked to in the latest Jim Sterling video on the Epic store:

https://twitter.com/CaseyExplosion/status/1113436371610492929

It is worth a read.

However,the Epic CEO a few years ago attacked Microsoft when they wanted to open their own store,and accused them of pushing exclusivity to block the competition,and that everyone should fight this. Fast forward a few years,and his tune has changed:

https://www.thegamer.com/epic-boss-says-developers-win-game-store-wars-not-consumers/

2pVtRVv.png

It worries me with that kind of mindset the Epic CEO has,how things will progress. Remember this is the same bloke who has had no problems implementing certain features at an engine level in UE,meaning unless certain companies actively optimised for their GPUs,it would mean significant performance reductions natively.

Even Jim Sterling who has made valid criticisms of Steam and initially welcomed the Epic store,is now also wondering where this will lead to. Plus there is so many other things Valve has done - push Linux gaming,open source VR,game streaming APIs,etc. None of its competitors are doing that.

Epic store has less features than Origin,UPlay,GOG,the Twitch and Discord game stores FFS. It does not even have cloud saves yet. It offers no real advantages over a number of stores and is not even cheaper. They even had millions of Epic accounts compromised due to a 10+ year old bug.

Maybe instead of paying millions for bribes,they should have been spending that on making a launcher actually comparable in basic feature set to loads of other ones.

Also Huawei has had to submit to more intense scrutiny in the UK(they have a centre here where GCHQ can study their tech). Tencent is deeply involved in certain things like the social credit system. But since Fortnite is the hottest game now,its not a problem it appears.

Associate
Dont get me wrong they are a bunch of you know what but money talks, and they have ALL that fortnite money just burning a rather large hole in their rather deep pockets now. They don't give a crap about any of that and a lot of people wont either, at least your average Joe I mean.

Soldato

I am not against Epic store per se, in fact I think they do some good things (lower revenue share, free games). I am against the policy of paying third party developers to remove their games from other stores. Plus yes, Epic Store right now is so devoid of anything useful that buying there actively gives me significantly worse product than buying on Steam or even GOG.

Associate
I am not against Epic store per se, in fact I think they do some good things (lower revenue share, free games). I am against the policy of paying third party developers to remove their games from other stores. Plus yes, Epic Store right now is so devoid of anything useful that buying there actively gives me significantly worse product than buying on Steam or even GOG.

Yeah I can get that. I just find it a bit funny the way people go on about Epic as if its not just like Tesco/Asda/Sainsburys etc. They dont give a crap about past behaviour, or even the user experience. They are interested in cold hard cash and they would all kill each other grannies for increased market share.

Guess the only thing people can do is vote with their wallets.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Because they are in the pockets of Tencent and i trust the chinease less than the French backing a nice brexit exit.

Man of Honour
Yeah I can get that. I just find it a bit funny the way people go on about Epic as if its not just like Tesco/Asda/Sainsburys etc. They dont give a crap about past behaviour, or even the user experience. They are interested in cold hard cash and they would all kill each other grannies for increased market share.

That's capitalism for you, bottom line is that money and profit talks. One possible interesting poll would be something like, A) Buy on Epic if it was £29.99 or B) Buy on Steam if it was £49.99 , might find that some people put aside their principles when the "worse" option enables them to get it at considerably less cost to themselves. Companies aren't really any different to us, its all about the money. I've been on the planet for enough decades now to know that there is essentially no company out there which actually puts their customers first over their monies , no matter how much we like to think that company X isn't like the rest and is one of the good guys

Pet Northerner
Don
I'll get a steam key at some point next year (well 2) so I can play with the wife. I'm not in a massive rush to play, as I have a bunch of things going on this year so a lot of game time is being lost.

I am looking forward to playing and am disappointed with all the exclusivity stuff going on atm with Epic. It's highly anti-consumer if you ask me (I've still not cracked and bought Metro).

Man of Honour
I'm not in a massive rush to play, as I have a bunch of things going on this year so a lot of game time is being lost.

Argh ! yes, the biggest curse to gaming there is ! Real Life. Nevermind launchers and hacks and greed and release dates and regional pricing...the single biggest wall to gaming is the dreaded real life lvl 100 monster. I work away, often abroad, a lot. In the last 9 months my gaming has been limited to maybe 1 or 2 (at a max) weekends a month and that's it. Maybe 9 or 10 days worth of play in the last 3/4 of a year. It will probably be the same for the next 9 months too. Where is a lottery win or a rich dead relative when you need one !

Pet Northerner
Don
Argh ! yes, the biggest curse to gaming there is ! Real Life. Nevermind launchers and hacks and greed and release dates and regional pricing...the single biggest wall to gaming is the dreaded real life lvl 100 monster. I work away, often abroad, a lot. In the last 9 months my gaming has been limited to maybe 1 or 2 (at a max) weekends a month and that's it. Maybe 9 or 10 days worth of play in the last 3/4 of a year. It will probably be the same for the next 9 months too. Where is a lottery win or a rich dead relative when you need one !

For me, I'm trying to move away from just sitting on my butt on a weekend gaming. So I'll be doing a few courses and also picking up prop making as I've missed creating things. I want to put my energy there rather than simply game game game, which I've lost a lot of time to over the years - which I'm beginning to regret.

The wife has also said I need to re-do the garden this summer too - eep!.

Soldato

Guess the only thing people can do is vote with their wallets.

Well, the "bribing devs to remove games from other stores" is a new thing in PC gaming. Valve, despite having dominant position, have never done it and in fact they always encouraged developers to put their games to as many places as possible.
PC Gamers are generally annoyed by artificial exclusivities - just like it is annoying having to buy another x86 box for 400 bucks to play Uncharted, it is annoying having to use worse, featureless store instead of one we prefer. (Obviously console exclusivity is even worse due to the price of entry, but both still suck).

Permabanned
I reckon about 10% of those who voted to wait will actually do so. Most people will crack on day one or two (depending on how well it's received).

Soldato
I'll consider getting it on Steam sometime later, but I'm tempted to not buy it at all since waiting for Steam they still win effectively... having their cake and eating it, too

Surprised there isn't a 4th option for "I'm not going to play it on either launcher, but I'm still going to play it... hahaAAARGH MATEY!!!!"

Man of Honour
I reckon about 10% of those who voted to wait will actually do so. Most people will crack on day one or two (depending on how well it's received).

I think it will be much higher than 10% but I do think that quite a sizeable number will crack and buy it on Epic anyway, especially as you say if it turns out to be really good.

Surprised there isn't a 4th option for "I'm not going to play it on either launcher, but I'm still going to play it... hahaAAARGH MATEY!!!!"

Wouldn't that be a case of two wrongs don't make a right though. To have the moral/principle ground against Epic for Epics underhand methods and possible Chinese datasharing, but then show an equal lack of moral/principles by pirating.

Soldato
Epic store for me. I've said this before many times - Gamers are a fickle bunch, especially today - they can't resist. They'll be tempted in by the pre-marketing trailers etc before the game releases and before you know it everyone is 'stealth' playing it.

What does concern me, and I haven't researched this yet - can the Epic version play with the Steam version and vice versa? That could be a game changer for me right there.

Permabanned
I can't comment on the data sharing as I've not kept up to date on that, but I'd say their 'underhand' tactics are par for the course in this industry. Not justifying it so much as I am expectant of it.

I'm sure it's been said before by defendants (again, of which I don't count myself), but Steam could do with being knocked down a peg or two. They've done so little with Monopoly they've had this past 10 years.

Back
Top Bottom