Poll: Poll : Have you gone Superwide?

Have you gone superwide?

• Yes : And I could never go back

Votes: 88 25.4%
  • Yes : But I miss my 16.9 setup

Votes: 12 3.5%
  • No : I'm happy with current setup

Votes: 129 37.2%
  • No : But Superwide will be my next upgrade path.

Votes: 106 30.5%
  • No : I run Eyefinity / NVSurround

Votes: 12 3.5%

• Total voters
Soldato
Got my 34" 3440x1440 (Dell U3415w) yesterday, was a bit tentative about the UW resolution, but after spending a few hours on it last night, I'm getting the same effect from my dual 24" at work as I used to get while using a laptop at 1024x768 when compared to my 1080p desktop. There just aren't enough pixels!

Definitely wouldn't go back to 16:9!

Soldato
I see...I would never go 1080p super wide....

When I bought mine, 3440px models hadn't even been announced or hinted at. I'd never used anything higher than 1200p/1080p so I was simply gaining horizontal space.

You went from 2560 horizontal pixels to 2560 horizontal pixels, so there isn't much "extra horizontal space" to miss. Going to 3440px and back to 2560px (or the other way) might be a different story and a more fair comparison.

I consider it in terms of vertical space, I went from 1080p to 1440p and lost the physical width. That's what I meant by extra horizontal space. If I'd meant pixels I would've said horizontal pixels, but obviously that wasn't the case.

Last edited:
Associate
For those 3 it would be interesting to see their display path. If they went from 16:9 1440p to 21:9 1080p, they would obviously miss the previous screen, but the problem would be mostly the loss of some screen real estate, not the aspect ratio. And real-estate-wise, up to 4K, 21:9 1440p wins against anything 16:9.

I'd never used anything higher than 1200p/1080p so I was simply gaining horizontal space.
And how did you like that transition?

Soldato
I'm another with a 40" 4K monitor which is great for browsing and having multiple windows open. However when I game my fav game is Witcher 3 which I run in a 3440x1440 borderless window on a black desktop. That equates to a 33.5" 21:9 display.

So I selected the "my next monitor will be 21:9" option because that's what I will do to complement the current monitor. I haven't quite worked out how to accommodate them both but we use pop up table mechanisms in our dual use training rooms at work so that's given me some ideas.

Associate
I think 16:9 would be best for me as I watch TV shows etc on my monitor, Would love superwide for games but they are very expensive.

Associate
I am currently very interested in the Dell 34 superwide.

However id like to know how much of a niche market is it?

I play a lot of old games such as Vanilla wow (on a private server) Rome Total war and Med total war and i assume these wont be compatible?

and what is the % of new releases that r compatible?

Soldato
Had UW since March (or was it April) and could not go back. Love the format far too much and thankfully with it becoming ever more common so games are supporting it better and where its not supported usually fix's on hand.

Next upgrade will likely be to one with G-SYNC + higher Refresh rate.

Associate
I run a 3 monitor eyefinity set up. I need multimonitors for my work and superwide probably isn't 'wide enough' for that. So Eyefinity represents the best compromise.

The next big upgrade re. display will be VR for me - probably the Vive.

Soldato
21:9 34" is just too small vertically for me. A 34" 21:9 monitor is identical in size vertically to a 27" 16:9 monitor.

16:9 32" and 4K is the minimum I can tolerate for gaming now.

Soldato
Am I the only person prefers 16:10 and gets frustrated at the lack of options? :<

I have a couple of little satellite screens at either side, but when I game, I prefer it to not hog my whole field of view...

Associate
I have just pulled the trigger on the ultrawide Dell.

For the past god know how many years I have been using a Dell 3007 which has served me faithfully but is showing it age. My other option was the Dell 4k 32 inch.

As good/bad as it sounds I only heave ever used IPS and have only ever used Dell. I am sure other brands are just as good but for some reason I hae never ever been tempted by other vendors.

It arrives tommorrow. I am not really worried about backlight bleed or IPS glow as I am kinda use to it using Dell IPS:p

I may also get the dell 32 inch 4k but I just want to see how I get on with this one. I am tempted to use the ultrawide on my seconday pc and the 4k one on my main gaming pc.

Back
Top Bottom