• Lib Dem

• UKIP

• Other (please state)

• I won't be voting

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
I checked it again. Tax in the last labour government peaked at 24% on the average salary in 2007. 2016 it is 19.9%.

And that's down to the increase in Personal Allowance, thanks to the Lib Dems, not the Tories.

Plus, direct taxes aren't the only taxes you pay are they....Tories love indirect taxes and keep income tax low, because it fools the public into thinking they aren't paying much tax....seems it works well ;)

After Hammonds budget, we are set to have the highest tax burden overall since the 80's

Britain is facing its biggest tax burden for more than 30 years and an austerity regime stretching well into the 2020s, according to a study of Government spending plans.

The "Green Budget" report published by the Institute for Fiscal Studies (IFS) estimated revenues from taxation would rise to more than 37% of national income by the 2019/20 tax year, for the first time since 1986/7.

So like I said, the statement of Left bad, Right good (in economic terms) was so simplistic as to render it nonsense

Soldato
And that's down to the increase in Personal Allowance, thanks to the Lib Dems, not the Tories.

Plus, direct taxes aren't the only taxes you pay are they....Tories love indirect taxes and keep income tax low, because it fools the public into thinking they aren't paying much tax....seems it works well ;)

After Hammonds budget, we are set to have the highest tax burden overall since the 80's

So like I said, the statement of Left bad, Right good (in economic terms) was so simplistic as to render it nonsense
The personal allowance has continued to rise even after the lib dems. A lot of indirect taxes haven't changed like fuel duty. VAT is the only notable one that has increased but that is well outweighed by the others. Corporation tax has reduced vastly too.

Soldato
I would laugh so hard if May just ends up with a similar/smaller majority but with loads of the opposition (say 50+ seats) being Lib Dems who will be even more noisy/obstructive in her hard Brexit plans.
Given parliament won't get a say on anything though, noisy is all they'd be, they'd still have no real power to actually influence anything.

Man of Honour
I think the current polling is seriously underestimating the support the Lib Dem's will get in this election

https://twitter.com/LibDems/status/854407630961430528

5000 new members just today

Also, look at the results of our poll compared with the 2015 ones....

I would laugh so hard if May just ends up with a similar/smaller majority but with loads of the opposition (say 50+ seats) being Lib Dems who will be even more noisy/obstructive in her hard Brexit plans.

Or she may have miscalculated it completely and we could end up with a LAB/LIB DEM coalition.
If anyone flocks to lib dem it will be labour voters... effectively cementing conservative wins in swing seats.

Unless conservative voters flock to lib dem then there will only be change in the conservatives favour.

Permabanned
My brother just said something...

Vote Conservatives. the people who took Boris Johnson and made him head of Foreign Affairs...

I'm gonna stick with Lib Dems, at least they haven't been in power since I've been around to mess things up.

Caporegime
According to my local lib dem councillor :

"LIB DEM MEMBERSHIP UP 5000 TODAY

Over 5000 people have joined the Liberal Democrats since Mrs May made her announcement about a June 8th General Election at 11am.

At one stage, the website was not functioning because of the numbers wanting to join."

:D
Says it all about the Liberals.

How many extra members did Labour get when they reduced the membership fee to £3? How did that work out for them?

Soldato
The personal allowance has continued to rise even after the lib dems.

Yea...but look where it was in 2009 to where it was in 2015....the Tories slowed it up from the massive rise the Lib Dems pledged

A lot of indirect taxes haven't changed like fuel duty.

And....? :) You could check, alcohol, tobacco, insurance, stamp duty, capital gains...

VAT is the only notable one that has increased but that is well outweighed by the others.

If it was 'well outweighed by the others' then the overall tax burden wouldn't be increasing to the highest level in 30 years would it.

Corporation tax has reduced vastly too.

Great for businesses and shareholders, not so great for our tax burden that has to plug that gap

You can't get away from the fact our overall tax burden is highest in 30 years, no matter which way to try and slice it

(The figures, left, show increase in revenues raised between the tax years 2010-11 and 2014-15. Source: HMRC, April 2015 )

The Treasury’s total tax take is at a record high. But income tax – by far the biggest form of individual taxation, raising £163bn a year – has risen comparatively modestly under the Coalition: the income tax take is up by 6pc between the tax year 2010-11, when this government was formed, and the tax year that ended on April 5.

By contrast, the receipts arising from an array of less obvious taxes have rocketed.

The stamp duty take rose by 80pc over the period, capital gains tax brought in 62pc more money for the Treasury, and inheritance tax receipts are up by 40pc. VAT, which for the first time will in 2014-15 bring in more cash for the Government than National Insurance contributions, generated 33pc more receipts.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/...alth-taxes-that-have-risen-by-up-to-80pc.html

But somehow they still manage to convince people they are the party of low taxation....

Last edited:
Soldato
Well TM with a huge majority and no opposition won't be a barrel of laughs that's for sure.

It's the no opposition bit that should have people up in arms not the conservative majority. Basically JC is to blame for allowing what's happened under the Cons for the last couple of years. Utter incompetence.....

Soldato
The Tories have been doing a sterling job so far :)
only if you are rich, have private medical cover and have all your cash in an overseas account somewhere in panama. if you are a normal, hardworking, tax paying citizen you have just had your anus violated without lubrication. So if you are into buggery, yes, they have done a sterling job.

Caporegime
It's the no opposition bit that should have people up in arms not the conservative majority. Basically JC is to blame for allowing what's happened under the Cons for the last couple of years. Utter incompetence.....

While I am not going to say JC is blameless here, I feel the people actually doing the things are probably more at fault.

Associate
Give Dave Miliband an easy Labour seat. Best option for Labour going forward. Listening to JC on Radio 5 at lunch time, he answered a dozen different questions with the same answer.

Caporegime
Not sure how you figure that out, given that the opposition basically can't do anything to stop a majority holding government.

Caporegime
The Daily Mail front page for tomorrow...

C9udFWTXYAAlxcQ.jpg

giphy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom