• Lib Dem

• UKIP

• Other (please state)

• I won't be voting

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
I honesty do not know. I'm a life long conservative but I don't agree with this, its not an election its a tactical amalgamation of power and in my eyes its just not democratic.

I didn't want brexit but I want it done for the best of our country, and I don't think having one party push through their choice at the time is the right way to do it. Think about it, in 10 years IF it failed the government that shut out all parties opposed to it will already be gone and they know that. Nobody will be left to pick up the pieces, and more to the point nobody will be taking any blame.

This isn't all about brexit but it is largely triggered by it, I'd be happy with a conservative win but not with a liar, hypocrite and stand in prime minister leading the charge into the unknown. I genuinely want whats best for leavers and remainers and I don't think thats what she's got in mind, she knows she will be leaving in 4 years, we have to live with this choice.

Man of Honour
Oh dear if this poll is anything to go by labour are going to get hammered...

All the polls I've seen show that happening. Which, of course, is partly why TM has called the election. With the FPTP system, the conservatives will very likely gain more seats from labour losses than other parties will and that will increase her power. Even if Lib Dems gain a larger proportion of votes (which I think they will), that's not relevant in FPTP. It's possible for a party to get an outright majority of votes and still be a minority in parliament, even a small minority.

Soldato
At the very least you can vote. If everyone who thought the same as you did the same as you then you'd all make a difference.

I have never heard of any party believing in much of what I believe, most parties get in power and then do 10% at best of what they say they were going to do, some of the time even doing hypocritical decisions.

All the polls I've seen show that happening. Which, of course, is partly why TM has called the election. With the FPTP system, the conservatives will very likely gain more seats from labour losses than other parties will and that will increase her power. Even if Lib Dems gain a larger proportion of votes (which I think they will), that's not relevant in FPTP. It's possible for a party to get an outright majority of votes and still be a minority in parliament, even a small minority.

I really don't want Theresa May being our MP, I'd rather have Trump and that is saying something! Obama can he be our PM? I'd like that!

Caporegime
I honesty do not know. I'm a life long conservative but I don't agree with this, its not an election its a tactical amalgamation of power and in my eyes its just not democratic.

I didn't want brexit but I want it done for the best of our country, and I don't think having one party push through their choice at the time is the right way to do it. Think about it, in 10 years IF it failed the government that shut out all parties opposed to it will already be gone and they know that. Nobody will be left to pick up the pieces, and more to the point nobody will be taking any blame.

This isn't all about brexit but it is largely triggered by it, I'd be happy with a conservative win but not with a liar, hypocrite and stand in prime minister leading the charge into the unknown. I genuinely want whats best for leavers and remainers and I don't think thats what she's got in mind, she knows she will be leaving in 4 years, we have to live with this choice.

the alternative is a cluster **** of a coalition led by Corbyn - as much as there is to dislike about May - snoopers charter etc.. she's a much better option (with a strong majority) than the alternative - currently she's beholden to the hard Brexit types in the Tory party a larger majority changes that and gives her much more flexibility for a deal - a Liberal/Labour/SNP coalition would be utterly chaotic

as much as the press has been bashing the government's lack of a clear path or the frankly stupid suggestions in some parts of the media that we grant concessions on say EU citizens here without even getting the same guarantees in return it is just simply not how negotiations work - she can't just lay out a plan/strategy in the open and she does have to be willing to change based on whatever the EU throws up and they will continue to throw in silly surprise moves like the Spain/Gibraltar veto the other week etc.. as the talks progress

I think an election was the right decision and we absolutely need a strong Tory majority for Brexit to be a success

Caporegime
Would much prefer the sort of coalition based politics from Europe, and a complete overhaul of FPTP to atleast STV. Will never ever achieve that under May's rusty iron fist.

Soldato
I won't be voting. My constituency is never going to be anything other than conservative so I don't really see the point. Plus all the political parties suck. I don't want to be seen to support a party I disagree with just because I made a tactical voting choice.

I'd love to start my own political party though even if no one joined it.

Soldato
Given how the pound has weakened since last summer and consequently many things we buy have gone up by ~10-25%, I'm expecting many on low and average incomes to vote for whichever party offers the most Bremain manifesto, including those that voted for Brexit last summer.

Ultimately, money talks, especially for lower earners.

Caporegime
I won't be voting. My constituency is never going to be anything other than conservative so I don't really see the point. Plus all the political parties suck. I don't want to be seen to support a party I disagree with just because I made a tactical voting choice.

I'd love to start my own political party though even if no one joined it.

The constituency i'm currently registered in is the same. I'm probably going to try and move my vote to where I grew up (only lived in the other constituency for a couple of years before moving here) as I'm going to vote by proxy this time, postal voting just takes too long. The benefit is my home town is a very close race between Labour and Tory, with Tory taking it for the first time in a long time last time.

Caporegime
Caporegime
Green Party calling for a grand coalition with Labour and Lib Dems to stop UK Independence. https://www.greenparty.org.uk/news/...s-must-unite-to-stop-tories-wrecking-britain/ Seem to suggest working together so it's Conservatives vs. UKIP vs. (Labour OR Lib Dem OR Green) in contested constituencies - like they did in Richmond to Zac Goldsmith. What do we think? Good for democracy?

As good as you can get with the current FPTP system. It may mean that some constituencies go to the group that the majority voted for, not just the party that the most people voted for as the majority vote isn't split between several smaller parties.

I'm guessing you're not a fan considering your comments about Le Pen and the french system of first and second round of voting?

Soldato
Do people really think the lib dems are going to get anywhere? Does no one remember cleggmania?

Do you mean Cameronmania? I mean Clegg didn't propose the tuition fee debacle, he just couldn't stop it. Its should be remembered for what it was not just a memory swayed by the press.

Caporegime
As good as you can get with the current FPTP system. It may mean that some constituencies go to the group that the majority voted for, not just the party that the most people voted for as the majority vote isn't split between several smaller parties.

I'm guessing you're not a fan considering your comments about Le Pen and the french system of first and second round of voting?
The French system is different to what the Green Party are proposing here. I don't particularly mind the French system - I guess it's reasonably similar to AV which I voted for in the referendum, it does work against Le Pen though. Whatever the advantages and disadvantages of FPTP the only thing that matters is that we, the British people voted to keep it as our system for elections, and since I don't agree with ignoring the results of referendums I suggest it's here to stay.

The Greens are proposing to reduce people's choice, which I'm against. Say you wanted to vote Lib Dem, but only Labour and the Conservatives were standing in your constituency - the Greens are expecting you to vote for Jeremy Corbyn's Labour, but I fear that people in that situation just may not bother to vote at all, which is bad for democracy.

Associate
this happened in Norfolk in council elections, forget the exact number so will make some up, was something like 100 Tory against 101 others, they formed a "Rainbow" alliance to take power, to my mind that is disgusting, all the voters for the individual parties would not have voted for independants, greens, lib, and lab to then ultimately be ruled by labour

Is this what we are as a nation, a group of spoilers who because they can't get their own way go out of their way to cripple our country

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom