Poll: Poll: UK General Election 2017 - Mk II

Who will you vote for?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Man of Honour
Well i still want to know what this good deal looks like and how they are going to get it

A good deal in my mind involves a sensible exit payment (say £30bn), agreement on rights for UK citizens in the eu and vice versa, say an exchange of nationalities, and binding basics of a trade deal.

A bad deal involves a large payment to the eu (say £70bn+), unilateral granting of rights to eu citizens in the UK and nothing on trade.

No deal means no real payment to the eu, citizenship entirely in our control and no trade deal.

In that context, no deal is definitely better than a bad one.

Caporegime
Much better performance from Theresa May I thought. Corbyn looked like he was going to cry at times when being questioned by Paxman.

I think this just proves that none of these programmes are worth doing, people take away from them whatever they want to hear.

Permabanned
May's posturing about leaving with no deal will simply get the back up of the EU, they can exist without the UK, so really they hold the better hand. She's out of her depth completely.

I support my country... but sometimes I do wish the EU turned around and said... we dont want a deal with you anymore MrsMay... we find you a difficult woman... bye

It would leave Mays Britain in tatters

Soldato
What exactly is it deterring if everyone knows he will never use it?

It's not exactly a complete collapse of the principle of deterrence to have a prime minister who wont press the button. If Russian tanks rolled into Berlin it's not at all unfeasible that if people didn't like Corbyn saying he wouldn't use it then he could lose the support of his party or otherwise removed. I mean he'd only be prime minister for three or four years. If I were some mad Russian dictator I don't think I'd want to gamble the world on whether or not Corbyn would retain his position or even change his mind. We're not four years away from Russian troops in Trafalgar Square so who cares?

Personally I'm fine with someone who doesn't want to kill a couple of billion people as Prime Minister, anyway.

Also, Paxman is awful, isn't he?

Man of Honour
OP
That's the thing. A "good deal" or "bad deal" is entirely down to opinion. We're not going to get better than we have now, so any deal will be bad. It's really how bad it needs to be before she will walk away that needs to be being talked about. To be honest I don't care that much about the point, because I don't believe a word she says, the whole "no deal is better than a bad deal" script is just rhetoric and "strong and stable" style posturing.

Associate
Much better performance from Theresa May I thought. Corbyn looked like he was going to cry at times when being questioned by Paxman.

It's easy to perform better when the guy the other side of the table lets you speak more than 5 words before cutting you off and yelling for an answer. Paxman only really pressed her twice and even then she was incapable of just giving a straight answer.

Caporegime
The Tories will win the GE, the majority will increase slightly but nowhere near enough to make this whole thing worth doing, we will pay a large lump of cash to the EU to continue our trading arrangement with them, it will be sold as an "interim arrangement", Kippers will be frothing.

Permabanned
A good deal in my mind involves a sensible exit payment (say £30bn), agreement on rights for UK citizens in the eu and vice versa, say an exchange of nationalities, and binding basics of a trade deal.

A bad deal involves a large payment to the eu (say £70bn+), unilateral granting of rights to eu citizens in the UK and nothing on trade.

No deal means no real payment to the eu, citizenship entirely in our control and no trade deal.

In that context, no deal is definitely better than a bad one.

And what of a deal on trade... If we want access to the single market and passporting rights... and the deal to include services. If there is no model for services and the EU dont want to negotiate... are you happy to leave with the likely possibility of the economy being in ruins after. To me that sounds like a bad deal

Caporegime
I think you were watching the wrong channel.
Nah, I just switched off my confirmation bias. You should try it sometime.

That's the thing. A "good deal" or "bad deal" is entirely down to opinion. We're not going to get better than we have now, so any deal will be bad. It's really how bad it needs to be before she will walk away that needs to be being talked about. To be honest I don't care that much about the point, because I don't believe a word she says, the whole "no deal is better than a bad deal" script is just rhetoric and "strong and stable" style posturing.
No, it's stating the obvious. If you aren't prepared to walk away from a negotiation if you don't achieve your minimum goals then you'll get less than your minimum goals.

It's easy to perform better when the guy the other side of the table lets you speak more than 5 words before cutting you off and yelling for an answer. Paxman only really pressed her twice and even then she was incapable of just giving a straight answer.
I see all the momentum-ites on twitter crying about this as well. I thought Paxman was equally tough on both candidates. No problem there, just one of them handled it better than the other.

Soldato
Missed it - can anyone give a one line report.

Corbyn was good with the audience questions. Appeared confident. His interview with Paxman was something of a car crash; Paxman focussed on Corbyn's character, with very little talk of policy. Corbyn looked incredibly uncomfortable and frustrated.

May was pretty awful with the audience. She looked uneasy, and was on the back foot the whole time. Faisal Islam made sure she answered the questions instead of dodging them with the usual sound bites. The Prime Minister was much better with Paxman, though arguably she was on more comfortable ground. Paxman focussed on policy and her record in government. She gave a decent account of herself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom