Poll: Poll: UK General Election 2017 - Mk II

Who will you vote for?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
And as someone that works in the "investement property" market I can tell you that you are full of crap.
6 Month rolling AST's are a recent thing, before that we had "sitting tennants" which no one would want in their property now. Even with a 6 month AST it takes missing nearly a year of missed rent before you can secure an eviction.
Congrats for spouting on a bout something you know nothing about. Tenants hold all the cards, I deal with it every day.

No they don't compared to other countries. How many 10 or 20 years tenancy agreements do you see in your job?

Man of Honour
And millions of people think the same about May, Boris and the other cretins. That's life. But I will tell you one thing, if by some miracle labour wins ( which they won't) I expect you and a few others on here to just shut up, not complain and accept the will of the people as we are a democracy.

That isn't a democracy.

Soldato
And millions of people think the same about May, Boris and the other cretins. That's life. But I will tell you one thing, if by some miracle labour wins ( which they won't) I expect you and a few others on here to just shut up, not complain and accept the will of the people as we are a democracy.

Like you did about brexit lol

Caporegime

That's my point. I didn't but kept getting told I should because the vote was over etc. You can't have it both ways that people should just shut up and pull together cause it was something you were in favour off and when it's the opposite it's your right in a democracy to keep complaining and banging on about it.

Caporegime
No they don't compared to other countries. How many 10 or 20 years tenancy agreements do you see in your job?
I did wrongly use the word "eviction" tho. I am aware that if you need to get your property back via the courts, from a non-compliant tenant, it can take many months.

But the fact remains that in this country, a landlord can give as little as 7 days notice for certain types of agreements, and a maximum of 2 months notice for any type of agreement. With 30 days being common.

Law-abiding tenants will normally comply with this notice, meaning that in the UK we have nothing like the security of tenancy that exists in Europe, as you said, with 10 or 20 year agreements.

Permabanned

I think that's what the point he is making. Why should he shut up about brexit because we all knew in the future if corbyn ever won people on the right would complain.

It goes round and round. Look at the left in America complaining about trump. The right are saying that's democracy but then all you have to do is google obamas win and you'll find photos of burning straw Obamas... Calling him a muslim and asking to see his papers along with many other nasty stuff.

People have a different opinion. Get over it. For a group that likes to call the left **********.... The right sure seem like **********

Soldato
I want to know your thoughts. I'll read the article if you quote it here because I don't subscribe to that paper.

I suspect at no point do they claim that this is a Labour Party initiative.

Corbyn wants to lower the voting age to 16, twitter targets gullible teens and Labour 'categorically' denies any involvement hmmmm lol...

The article:

Labour’s election campaign is being boosted by fake social media accounts that pump out positive messages about Jeremy Corbyn thousands of times per day, The Daily Telegraph can reveal.

One in eight messages about British politics posted on Twitter are generated by automated accounts known as web robots or “bots”.

Individual accounts each post up to 1,000 messages per day attacking Theresa May or promoting Labour. They are set up to look like personal user accounts to trick other users into thinking real people are backing Labour. Automated accounts also back other parties, but to a far smaller degree.

They were described last night by Oxford University researchers as “worrying” because of the power of automated accounts to “distort” and influence views. Twitter is predominantly used by young people, who are also more likely to be Labour supporters.

It came as the Conservatives made an official complaint to the BBC over the “biased” audience in Wednesday’s leaders’ debate and warned there must be no repeat when Mrs May and Mr Corbyn appear on a Question Time special on Friday night.

Mrs May gave her first tacit acknowledgement on Thursday that the polls make grim reading for the Tories. With one poll putting the Conservatives’ lead over Labour at just three percentage points, Mrs May urged voters to “put your trust in me, back me”.

She also confirmed that she wants to get net migration down to the tens of thousands by 2022, the first time she has set a date for reaching the target.

Next week’s election will be influenced by social media more than any other to date, with Labour and the Tories spending more than £1m each targeting users of Facebook, Twitter and other platforms.

The use of “bots” to promote parties comes in the wake of so-called “fake news”, a term coined by President Donald Trump, in which misinformation can be disseminated online with incredible speed.

Two independent social media experts who earlier identified the involvement of Russian bots in the US and French elections said a series of accounts found by The Telegraph appeared to be "amplifiers" promoting pro-Labour posts, rather than genuine human-run accounts which they ostensibly claim to be.

Labour denies being behind the accounts.

An analysis by The Telegraph has found a series of accounts retweeting and "liking" scores of times per hour tweets by Mr Corbyn, his shadow cabinet, and supporters.

A separate analysis by Oxford University of 1.3 million tweets found 21,661 Labour-supporting tweets published from automated accounts over the course of a week earlier in the election campaign.

Monica Kaminska, co-author of the Oxford University study, said: “It is worrying because it has the potential to distort the conversation, it’s megaphoning marginal viewpoints, and because young people are turning towards social media as their primary news source.”

Labour’s recent surge in the polls has been attributed to increased support among young people, who are more likely than older voters to be influenced by Twitter.

Most of the activity carried out by the bot accounts - also known as “sock puppet” accounts - is retweeting and liking existing posts rather than posting original tweets.

Boris Johnson: Farron and Sturgeon would squawk in Corbyn's ear 00:25
It helps to spread posts, make them look more popular, and increase the chances of them appearing in searches.

The accounts identified by the Telegraph include one named "Jimmy Morgan", using the handle @Jimmymo82550950.

In nine days after it was set up last month it retweeted more than 5,000 posts and liked more than 4,000, including dozens by Mr Corbyn's official account.

Ben Nimmo, an analyst of disinformation and social media networks, said the huge volume of posts from the accounts found by the Telegraph was “not a human activity pattern”.

He said: “They all look like classic sock-puppet accounts, set up to amplify a specific political stance. The ratio of retweets to original posts is very high, they’re effectively anonymous, the eight-digit numbers after each username are characteristic of fake accounts, and they were all created very recently.”

Bot accounts also promote other political parties, and Oxford University found more than 13,000 Tory-supporting tweets posted from them.

A Labour spokesman said: "Those accounts are absolutely, categorically nothing to do with us. We don't have any accounts like that and we don't run anything like that."

Twitter has responded to previous complaints about bots by saying it takes the matter seriously and has a dedicated team that looks out for automated accounts and is constantly improving its tools to find and shut down bot accounts.

Meanwhile, Jeremy Corbyn unveiled three of the party's biggest Remain supporters as the team that will lead the Brexit negotiations if Jeremy Corbyn wins the election next week.

Sir Keir Starmer, the shadow Brexit secretary, Emily Thornberry, the shadow foreign secretary, and Barry Gardiner, the shadow international trade secretary, are staunch europhiles.

They stand opposite the Tories’ “three Brexiteers” David Davis, Liam Fox and Boris Johnson, all of whom campaigned for Leave.

Mr Gardiner was caught out during a recent interview with Good Morning Britain when one of the presenters interrupted their chat to ask why he had an "I'm In" sticker on his iPad - the logo of the Remain campaign.

Soldato
I think that's what the point he is making. Why should he shut up about brexit because we all knew in the future if corbyn ever won people on the right would complain.

It goes round and round. Look at the left in America complaining about trump. The right are saying that's democracy but then all you have to do is google obamas win and you'll find photos of burning straw Obamas... Calling him a muslim and asking to see his papers along with many other nasty stuff.

People have a different opinion. Get over it. For a group that likes to call the left **********.... The right sure seem like **********

Brexit was a yes / no - a general election is not the same.

Though if he stopped whining about brexit I might stop calling Corbyn a **** for a while.

Caporegime
So the story is that some Twitter accounts are retweeting a lot of pro-Labour stuff, Labour say it's not them, the Telegraph have nothing to disprove that statement.

Looks pretty desperate.

Soldato
Yeah if it goes through the courts then it takes months. But most tenants are law-abiding, and if their landlord gives them notice to quit, they will abide by the law and move out.

I guess if you deal with people who stop paying rent and then refuse to leave until the police/baliffs force them out, that's another story. Most people will take their notice from the landlord and start looking for a new home...

And last time I looked at the law, via the .gov.uk website, the notice period was 30 days for any reason, and 14 days for special circumstances, such as the landlord moving back into the property.

That was probably last year when I looked.

e: OK "eviction" was entirely the wrong word, my bad. They can give you "notice to quit" with 30 days notice, and "eviction" process only begins if you refuse to move out within that period.

If you have to evict a lot of people you're obviously dealing with problem tenants.

Most reasonable people aren't going to force their landlord through the courts if he gives you notice that he wants you out.

Yeah TBH, maybe I should have been more specific.
Most landlords I deal with aren't multi millionaires, they are people who own rental property to give them a return on their money that they wont get putting it in a bank. Buying a property with money that great auntie Edna left you is better than stuffing it under the mattress and thats the vast majority of people we deal with.
With cheaper properties, you get a better return but obviously run the risk of crappy tenants that will cost you more than a years income anytime they want. The more expensive properties are bought purely with capital gains in mind, but most investors/landlords are not in this bracket.
Simply bracketing landlords or tenants as bad is wrong, there are bad of both but in my experience there are many more bad tenants that stop a landlord being the cushy number you think it is.
Saying that, it's still worth doing and if anyone want's a property investment from 5K upwards just give me a shiout. ;)

Permabanned
Corbyn wants to lower the voting age to 16, twitter targets gullible teens and Labour 'categorically' denies any involvement hmmmm lol...

The article:

Labour’s election campaign is being boosted by fake social media accounts that pump out positive messages about Jeremy Corbyn thousands of times per day, The Daily Telegraph can reveal.

One in eight messages about British politics posted on Twitter are generated by automated accounts known as web robots or “bots”.

Individual accounts each post up to 1,000 messages per day attacking Theresa May or promoting Labour. They are set up to look like personal user accounts to trick other users into thinking real people are backing Labour. Automated accounts also back other parties, but to a far smaller degree.

They were described last night by Oxford University researchers as “worrying” because of the power of automated accounts to “distort” and influence views. Twitter is predominantly used by young people, who are also more likely to be Labour supporters.

It came as the Conservatives made an official complaint to the BBC over the “biased” audience in Wednesday’s leaders’ debate and warned there must be no repeat when Mrs May and Mr Corbyn appear on a Question Time special on Friday night.

Mrs May gave her first tacit acknowledgement on Thursday that the polls make grim reading for the Tories. With one poll putting the Conservatives’ lead over Labour at just three percentage points, Mrs May urged voters to “put your trust in me, back me”.

She also confirmed that she wants to get net migration down to the tens of thousands by 2022, the first time she has set a date for reaching the target.

Next week’s election will be influenced by social media more than any other to date, with Labour and the Tories spending more than £1m each targeting users of Facebook, Twitter and other platforms.

The use of “bots” to promote parties comes in the wake of so-called “fake news”, a term coined by President Donald Trump, in which misinformation can be disseminated online with incredible speed.

Two independent social media experts who earlier identified the involvement of Russian bots in the US and French elections said a series of accounts found by The Telegraph appeared to be "amplifiers" promoting pro-Labour posts, rather than genuine human-run accounts which they ostensibly claim to be.

Labour denies being behind the accounts.

An analysis by The Telegraph has found a series of accounts retweeting and "liking" scores of times per hour tweets by Mr Corbyn, his shadow cabinet, and supporters.

A separate analysis by Oxford University of 1.3 million tweets found 21,661 Labour-supporting tweets published from automated accounts over the course of a week earlier in the election campaign.

Monica Kaminska, co-author of the Oxford University study, said: “It is worrying because it has the potential to distort the conversation, it’s megaphoning marginal viewpoints, and because young people are turning towards social media as their primary news source.”

Labour’s recent surge in the polls has been attributed to increased support among young people, who are more likely than older voters to be influenced by Twitter.

Most of the activity carried out by the bot accounts - also known as “sock puppet” accounts - is retweeting and liking existing posts rather than posting original tweets.

Boris Johnson: Farron and Sturgeon would squawk in Corbyn's ear 00:25
It helps to spread posts, make them look more popular, and increase the chances of them appearing in searches.

The accounts identified by the Telegraph include one named "Jimmy Morgan", using the handle @Jimmymo82550950.

In nine days after it was set up last month it retweeted more than 5,000 posts and liked more than 4,000, including dozens by Mr Corbyn's official account.

Ben Nimmo, an analyst of disinformation and social media networks, said the huge volume of posts from the accounts found by the Telegraph was “not a human activity pattern”.

He said: “They all look like classic sock-puppet accounts, set up to amplify a specific political stance. The ratio of retweets to original posts is very high, they’re effectively anonymous, the eight-digit numbers after each username are characteristic of fake accounts, and they were all created very recently.”

Bot accounts also promote other political parties, and Oxford University found more than 13,000 Tory-supporting tweets posted from them.

A Labour spokesman said: "Those accounts are absolutely, categorically nothing to do with us. We don't have any accounts like that and we don't run anything like that."

Twitter has responded to previous complaints about bots by saying it takes the matter seriously and has a dedicated team that looks out for automated accounts and is constantly improving its tools to find and shut down bot accounts.

Meanwhile, Jeremy Corbyn unveiled three of the party's biggest Remain supporters as the team that will lead the Brexit negotiations if Jeremy Corbyn wins the election next week.

Sir Keir Starmer, the shadow Brexit secretary, Emily Thornberry, the shadow foreign secretary, and Barry Gardiner, the shadow international trade secretary, are staunch europhiles.

They stand opposite the Tories’ “three Brexiteers” David Davis, Liam Fox and Boris Johnson, all of whom campaigned for Leave.

Mr Gardiner was caught out during a recent interview with Good Morning Britain when one of the presenters interrupted their chat to ask why he had an "I'm In" sticker on his iPad - the logo of the Remain campaign.

So what he's saying is its ok for adults to be manipulated by all of our right wing media but the left doing a bit of twitter botting is wrong. But targeted ads from conservatives on facebook is morally ok.

Anyway... Its ironic that the linked story talks about fake news. In the article it says labour has denied any involvement and yet the story is presented as if labour are the ones doing it.

Caporegime
Hold on, they found 21k bot tweets in support of labour and only 13,000 by the Tory bots but headline and main part of the article is all anti Labour.......

What would have happened if the Tories had bought better bots and they had tweeted more than the Labour bots? This story is really scraping the bottom of the barrel.

I hope you are going to slam the Tories of n111ck for their use of bots too?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom