Poll: Poll: UK General Election 2017 - Mk II

Who will you vote for?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
You will find a lot of Scottish believe strongly in the identity and might even be pro-independence on paper but at the same time don't want (actual) independence which will have some implications to what you are talking about.

thats why it makes no sense. if they are willingly voting SNP knowing they are in a sense to Scotland what UKIP were to the everywhere else i.e a 1 policy party, why do the same electorate then go on an SNP bashing spree. It seems perverse to the point of being self punishing ?

Soldato
From Time:

Tensions came to a head last weekend when Jeremy Corbyn’s office discovered that she was to appear on BBC One’s Andrew Marr Show last Sunday.

The shadow home secretary is thought to have made arrangements directly with the programme’s producer to appear without the consent of the campaign.

Ms Abbott’s previous media appearances have caused difficulty with Labour candidates. They have reported back to the party’s central command that her “brain fade” moment – when she said that her police recruitment policy would cost £300,000 rather than £300 million on LBC – has come up regularly on the doorstep. The interview was also exploited by the Tories.

Labour sources said John McDonnell, the shadow chancellor, and Karie Murphy, Mr Corbyn’s chief of staff, both phoned Ms Abbott to persuade her to pull out of the show but when they failed, the Labour leader phoned her himself, to no avail.

A source said: “John McDonnell was furious at the prospect of Diane going on again. In the end they got Jeremy to phone her himself – but she … went ahead and did the interview, which was predictably awful.

Soldato
Only just caught up with this thread. Big labour turnaround on here! I think that is quite reflective of what is happening in the real world, although I'm surprised the difference is so marked on here as this forum has always been a very Conservative/UKIP biased place. It's great to have such a contrast to the usual Facebook echo chamber. I still think that the Conservatives will win the election, but there won't be a majority. I think we're in for a hung parliament whichever way the vote goes.

I'm very nervous as to what might happen if the Conservatives do maintain their majority for the next 5 years. A 2 tier healthcare system is a real possibility under a conservative majority - so much has already been sold off in the last 5 years and that was with the Lib Dems tempering the Tories.

I've never voted anything other than Conservative before (my local Labour MP was Gisela Stuart, so that was a definite no!), but with a new Labour candidate and being a public sector worker I don't think I've really got any other option than a Labour vote currently.

Caporegime
Never understood the SNP's choke hold on most of the seats. At first you make the mistake of thinking it's because the majority of Scottish people want independence, but that doesn't really seem to be the case when you look at the numbers. Are they doing a decent job in general day to day policies and governance over say labour or the cons in scotland ?

They do OK, the real reason is they are the only real alternative to the Tories until recently with the rise of Corbyn. I could name a dozen friends that most likely voted SNP but definitely voted No to independence.

Soldato
It's like some kind of Bourne Identity thriller where you can imagine the Labour office going "She's gone rogue, we need to find Abbott and shut her down"

Soldato
Only just caught up with this thread. Big labour turnaround on here! I think that is quite reflective of what is happening in the real world, although I'm surprised the difference is so marked on here as this forum has always been a very Conservative/UKIP biased place. It's great to have such a contrast to the usual Facebook echo chamber. I still think that the Conservatives will win the election, but there won't be a majority. I think we're in for a hung parliament whichever way the vote goes.

I'm very nervous as to what might happen if the Conservatives do maintain their majority for the next 5 years. A 2 tier healthcare system is a real possibility under a conservative majority - so much has already been sold off in the last 5 years and that was with the Lib Dems tempering the Tories.

I've never voted anything other than Conservative before (my local Labour MP was Gisela Stuart, so that was a definite no!), but with a new Labour candidate and being a public sector worker I don't think I've really got any other option than a Labour vote currently.

Will you get a pay rise under Labour?

Soldato

But Labour outsourced more services to the private sector than the Tories have...

Caporegime

I woudln't count this forums poll - people have said they would vote Tory and have been rambling on with anti-labour rhetoric but then you see in the poll here that they clicked labour. They are worried that labour might actually win and so are trying to help motivate Tory voters to go out and poll.

Definitely worth re-posting:
http://www.taxresearch.org.uk/Blog/...the-biggest-borrowers-over-the-last-70-years/
First, Labour invariably borrows less than the Conservatives. The data always shows that.

And second, Labour has always repaid debt more often than the Conservatives, and has always repaid more debt, on average.

Associate
I expect Labour's spending plans to completely collapse. My first point is on their expected tax receipts. The IFS estimate that they won't get anywhere near raising what they want. Thats the first point, the second problem I have is that the IFS are assuming advanced growth under Labour due to their infrastructure spending, but I don't think this will materialise, simply because if you take Crossrail as an example, this was a project that was given the OK in 2007, began construction 2 years later in 2009 and is expected to be completed in December 2018. So that is a total of 10 years from start to completion. The Labour manifesto is full of Crossrail like projects. (Cross rail 2, new Brighton mainline, HS2 extended to Scotland etc) It takes decades for these projects to bear fruits. Thats not to say I don't want to see these projects not undertake. To the contrary, I absolutely do 100%. I just think that the evidence is overwhelming that by the end of Labours first term the public finances wont be in a great shape and taxes will go up (OK, thats fine) or the infrastructure projects get cancelled.

RDM

RDM

Soldato

It doesn't really pay comment on economic incompetence though as it doesn't really deal with deficits at all. If one party leaves a large deficit then the following party is obviously going to borrow more and pay back less.

NB I haven't done the research as to who ran up the largest deficits, just making an observation on taking numbers at face value.

Man of Honour
It doesn't really pay comment on economic incompetence though as it doesn't really deal with deficits at all. If one party leaves a large deficit then the following party is obviously going to borrow more and pay back less.

NB I haven't done the research as to who ran up the largest deficits, just making an observation on taking numbers at face value.

Agreed, but I don't have the figures either way on spending per term etc.

Soldato
D.P. - all polls are to be taken with a pinch of salt as we learned from the last election! OcUK usually gives a bit of balance to my more liberal social media feeds. Also, the OcUK members aren't usually for turning!

Trusty - As far as the pay rise question goes, I'm not sure I'll get a pay rise under Labour, but if the NHS turns into a two tier system as per the Conservatives I might well be employed by a private company and I'll definitely get a pay rise! It's a real double edged sword, but the NHS must be preserved at all costs. The population is totally unprepared for any sort of paid for healthcare and it'll be a car crash.

Thompson_NCL - PFI was and remains a terrible waste of money. We have at least got new buildings out of it though. The major turning point of the health and social care bill is the sale of healthcare services rather than private funding of facilities. Once healthcare services are profit driven efficiency might increase in a business sense, but quality of care is likely to suffer - profit is unlikely to be reinvested in the system and will be diverted to shareholders. Our services are being sold currently to the likes of Virgin which aren't healthcare charities like Kaiser Permanente in the US.

Soldato

This is because government spending and revenue is not real time :rolleyes: What happens is Labour come in when the economy is doing okay, loan a lot of money to pay for the votes they buy, the economy starts to tank and they lose an election. Conservatives come back in, have to borrow money whilst making cuts to restore economic credibility. After a few years fiscally responsible government, we're now back in a position where the voters decide they want to buy into Labour lies again. The cycle begins anew!

Soldato
The economics of running a country aren't as simple as paying off a personal loan or mortgage or even taking out a new loan - all the economic rhetoric is terribly over simplified. Modern countries economies are intertwined in a very complex fashion and it would take a very large event such as leaving the EU for national debts to be re-payed on a large scale.

Balancing the books is important, but as I'm sure you've all seen from the election campaigns figures can be interpreted in many different ways to suit the individual party's aim.

Caporegime
Okay, having weighed up everything, here is my prediction for Friday morning: Tories will have won the election with a minimum of a fifty seat lead, more likely a hundred seats There'll be no hung parliament or Labour win.

If I am wrong, I will humbly request a name change to something that correctly reflects my failure.

:D I really do think the Tories will win but with less than 50. I look forward to your name change when they dont win more than 50

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom