Poll: Poll: UK General Election 2017 - Mk II

Who will you vote for?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sadly I know lots of people who will regurgitate what the Dm and sun say as fact. Even had my 93 year old neighbour tonight saying he was going to vote labour but after hearing about the £4500 garden tax which he can't afford he might now have to vote Tory. He lives in a £100k terraced house with a 6m x 6m back garden. Doesn't matter that it's rubbish, people are believing it and biting accordingly.

that isn't so much the media lying as your neighbour not understanding what was presented... similar effect with the 'dementia tax' too

One paper vs 9. Don't get me wrong I disapprove of the mirrors attempts as well.

what do you mean 1 paper v 9?

We've had only two papers mentioned here one mocking May and one mocking Corbyn

Lol YouGov have "changed" their poll at the last minute.

cowards

Really? No one has ever mocked the Tory or Lib Dem candidates?

Oh look at their current website, seems they don't have self respect either:

Pot... Kettle...

nDUQapA.jpg

I don't generally read papers but I've had a look at that article, posted less than an hour ago... It's pretty much spot on?

The photoshop is silly and I don't approve of it but the article itself is accurate, unlike the The Sun.

that isn't so much the media lying as your neighbour not understanding what was presented... similar effect with the 'dementia tax' too

what do you mean 1 paper v 9?

We've had only two papers mentioned here one mocking May and one mocking Corbyn

cowards
Two so far but we all know the likes of the telegraph, express, daily mail etc aren't going to have balanced editorials on the front pages listing the pros and cons of all the parties are they?

I hold out some hope that enough of my fellow Scots will see themselves to back Independence if the Brexit talks start to look as shoddy as it seems they might be, failing that I'd be considering moving away too, its no longer a good place to try and be in business, in theory a Tory party was meant to be better for business but the current lot seem intent on killing small business with more and more red tape and tax.

All the over 65s will be moaning when they realize there isn't any one British around to wipe their arse for them in a few years. UK social care is in crisis due to staff shortages. Partly because of the wages and also down to the fact we are fast being a less compassionate nation. It's almost poetic in that their vote is going to put them in this situation.

Two so far but we all know the likes of the telegraph, express, daily mail etc aren't going to have balanced editorials on the front pages listing the pros and cons of all the parties are they?

We're not talking about editorials but someone objecting to the picture? Obviously different papers have a different stance on things but that isn't something new nor what is being highlighted here.

YouGov have tried to allocate the "don't knows" in their final figures, which is why it's changed.
And it's supposed to rain tomorrow, so the young just probably won't bother. I did have hopes for a hung parliament, but now I think a lot of people will bottle it and vote Tory in the booth.
I think they will come to regret that vote, and what might have been if only they had a bit of courage to believe things don't have to be the way they are.

Why is it more accurate than the Sun's article? Because it panders to your opinions?

The Sun claims Corbyn is a "Terrorists friend" because he met with the IRA leaders in an attempt to broker peace. He never endorsed any terrorist actions and IIRC met with the opposition as well. As did the Queen, but then I suppose she's a terrorist sympathizer as well?

The Mirror says that May claimed she wouldn't have a snap election, which she definitely said... and yet here we are.

The Sun claims "Massive Tax Hikes", yet the only tax they would be increasing the higher rate from 45% back to the original 50% for people earning over £150k. This would only affect 1-2% of the population.

The Mirror says that May claimed in 2010 that "We will cut net migration to the tens of thousands,”, which she did claim. However they have not once met that target and last year had the highest rates of immigration ever.

And so on.

Partly because of the wages and also down to the fact we are fast being a less compassionate nation

As much as anything those I know working in that industry hate the length of shift and the often split shifts and generally being treated appallingly by the management companies - everyone moans about money but most of them aren't doing too badly out of it - someone I know took a lower paid office job because they got fed up of being treated so badly.

None of that should be allowed, it's the same moronic rubbish that has brought politics, and this country, to where it is today.
Newsnight yesterday was comical. I wonder how representative of the "average" voter.

They picked 5 people from off the street, and three were undecided. Asked why, several responded, "We normally vote Tory and we like Theresa May, but now we're starting to like Corbyn too."
"What policies do you know about?"
"Strong and stable?"

OK, I'm heavily paraphrasing and using artistic license, here. They didn't actually say that.

But close enough. The strong impression was that they made their decision based on whether they "liked the look of" the leaders on TV. And literally nothing else. Maybe the odd newspaper headline.

When asked about policy most of them didn't have the first clue what either party was proposing.

Should we laugh or cry?

The Sun claims Corbyn is a "Terrorists friend" because he met with the IRA leaders in an attempt to broker peace. He never endorsed any terrorist actions and IIRC met with the opposition as well. As did the Queen, but then I suppose she's a terrorist sympathizer as well?

The Mirror says that May claimed she wouldn't have a snap election, which she definitely said... and yet here we are.

The Sun claims "Massive Tax Hikes", yet the only tax they would be increasing the higher rate from 45% back to the original 50% for people earning over £150k. This would only affect 1-2% of the population.

The Mirror says that May claimed in 2010 that "We will cut net migration to the tens of thousands,”, which she did claim. However they have not once met that target and last year had the highest rates of immigration ever.

And so on.

https://www.thecanary.co/2017/06/07...y-broken-law-last-ditch-attack-jeremy-corbyn/

Jezzas jihadi comrades... quality reporting i'm sure.

You might want to dig a little deeper into Labour's manifesto - there are some potentially huge increases for some people.

[...]

So basically different opinion then...

there is rather a big difference between the Queen meeting Martin and Corbyn not only meeting members of the IRA but protesting at their trial, heading up a publication that condoned the Brighton bombing etc..

What would you think if the people associated with the Manchester bomber went on trial and an MP got himself arrested protesting for them? Or perhaps honouring dead ISIS soldiers etc..

Labour has proposed ramping up taxation too so hardly a misplaced criticism either... they've not just proposed income tax rises but also things like the financial transaction tax which are fundamentally flawed, will kill off some derivatives markets, make overnight financing for banks expensive and won't raise any where near the projected figures. As much as they've claimed to have a 'fully costed' manifesto this is mostly based on people behaving as they were before (rather flawed) ergo you'll either have to have further tax rises or they'll have to pile on a load more debt/increase the deficit

You might want to dig a little deeper into Labour's manifesto - there are some potentially huge increases for some people.

"The party guarantees no tax increase for 95 per cent of the population and no income tax increase for those earning less than £80,000 per year.

For those who earn more, the income tax rate would rise to 45p for earnings above £80,000 and 50p in each pound earned over £123,000.

Mr Corbyn’s party also promised no rise in personal National Insurance contributions or the rate of VAT. "

That seems pretty much in line with what I said, if you can provide proof otherwise then please do. I'd be happy to be proven wrong.

So basically different opinion then...

So basically you're ignoring the rest of my post then?

Would you say that May isn't a liar?

Last edited:
No income tax increase maybe but they are looking at a load of other taxes like the changes to council tax and other financial taxes.

No income tax increase maybe but they are looking at a load of other taxes like the changes to council tax and other financial taxes.
The quote does not just reference income tax. Here it is again....

"The party guarantees no tax increase for 95 per cent of the population and no income tax increase for those earning less than £80,000 per year."

"No tax increase... AND no income tax increase..."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom