Poll: Poll: UK General Election 2017 - Mk II

Who will you vote for?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Man of Honour
The quote does not just reference income tax. Here it is again....

"The party guarantees no tax increase for 95 per cent of the population and no income tax increase for those earning less than £80,000 per year."

"No tax increase... AND no income tax increase..."

Saying no tax increase though when the changes to council tax they are proposing is probably going to hit quite a lot of people hard seems a bit wrong to me.

Caporegime
That seems pretty much in line with what I said, if you can provide proof otherwise then please do. I'd be happy to be proven wrong.

So the financial transaction tax won't affect our pensions then?

The garden tax will only negatively affect 5% of people?

Soldato
The quote does not just reference income tax. Here it is again....

"The party guarantees no tax increase for 95 per cent of the population and no income tax increase for those earning less than £80,000 per year."

"No tax increase... AND no income tax increase..."

The only way that would be possible would be to link any further proposed tax increases / changes (such as replacing council tax) to income. So while council tax might be reformed, 95% would have to pay no more and there would be some sort of enhancement to the tax payable by people on the top 5% income bracket, even though there's no precise link between property value and amount of income.

Good luck to them working that one out.

It also means that there'd be no reform to pension income tax relief, nor some benefits such as the tabloids' favourite child allowance. Amending the latter would, of course, immediately be dubbed a 'child tax'.

Man of Honour
The garden tax will only negatively affect 5% of people?

Wish someone would post some proper figures for it - its all very confusing but based on what I can find our council tax bill will increase by between ~£887 and ~£3329 a year while the properties on the other side of the road will see their bill decrease by almost 50% - compared to the current ~15% difference which is pretty fair if you look at the area and how people use it.

EDIT: Oh and that will likely rise because the Labour manifesto says current rates are for "introductory" purposes and will go up later and also the value of the area is being increased and/or could be artificially inflated by those being unscrupulous for their own ends.

Soldato
I only wish my vote was worth anything, but I live in quite an affluent area with a vast majority of elderly tory voters. Won't make a difference what happens really, another mp other than tory will be needing about 5k more vote swings to even come close.

Man of Honour
If everyone under twenty-five voted then in all probability the Conservatives would not have had a majority government at the last election. According to current YouGov polling there could be less than the dozen seats you mention in it.

If you care about your party winning, whichever it is, you should get out there and vote.

I voted last week.

Soldato
BREAKING...
This years vote, is to be split over two days due to the high number of voters registered, resources have been exhausted. Those who wish to vote for Labour, Greens and Lib Dems are to do so on Thursday.
Those wishing to vote Conservative or UKip can do so on Friday

Man of Honour
OP
Talk about what the "Garden Tax" might be is academic. All the manifesto says is that it is something they will consider as part of a review of council tax. Nothing else. Harping on about how it's going to affect x% of the population is utter nonsense.

Caporegime
BREAKING...
This years vote, is to be split over two days due to the high number of voters registered, resources have been exhausted. Those who wish to vote for Labour, Greens and Lib Dems are to do so on Thursday.
Those wishing to vote Conservative or UKip can do so on Friday
;)

Man of Honour
Talk about what the "Garden Tax" might be is academic. All the manifesto says is that it is something they will consider as part of a review of council tax. Nothing else. Harping on about how it's going to affect x% of the population is utter nonsense.

Still they are on the one hand stating no tax increases while within their manifesto are things like that which if inacted would, based on the ballpark figures given, see a good increase for many people.

Caporegime

That was kind of the point - you can't say it will only affect 5%

V F

V F

Soldato
If everyone under twenty-five voted then in all probability the Conservatives would not have had a majority government at the last election. According to current YouGov polling there could be less than the dozen seats you mention in it.

If you care about your party winning, whichever it is, you should get out there and vote.

Your party? How can one have an allegiance for a party? They're all scum, trouble is picking the least worst. There should be an option for none of the above with a required box on stating why. Even if it has to be an epistle.

Man of Honour
Of my friends, colleagues and family, it seems most of us are voting labour. I think I might live in a liberal bubble because I'm not 'sure' that anyone I know will be voting Tory this time.

Apart from one moron that is voting Tory to 'stop Corbyn from removing the royal family'.... ughh.

Caporegime
Of my friends, colleagues and family, it seems most of us are voting labour. I think I might live in a liberal bubble because I'm not 'sure' that anyone I know will be voting Tory this time.

Apart from one moron that is voting Tory to 'stop Corbyn from removing the royal family'.... ughh.
All my family bar one are voting Labour, including two of us voting for the first time in our lives.

The "bar one" has disavowed the rest of us :p

We have vastly different incomes as well. One of us is a surgeon... But what we have in common is a deep distrust of May. None of us believe she is at all sincere, and this re-positioning of the Tory party as the "party of the ordinary working family" rings false for all of us.

Man of Honour
I don't like parties that try to subvert democracy and neither does the electorate.

That could be argued about all of them. Labour, for example, forbids people of the "wrong" sex from becoming MPs (and changed the law to make that legal). That's not very democratic.

Holding a second referendum to see whether or not opinions have changed on a subject of huge importance as a result of more information being available is not subverting democracy.

Man of Honour
In all honestly, is anyone here actually voting FOR a party rather than just against another?

Would be interesting to see just what % are tactical votes.

I've voted for Lib Dems...but I've also voted against the others. I think both motives can be true for the same person.

I can't vote tactically, since Labour will win this seat. It doesn't matter which party I voted for. It wouldn't have mattered if I didn't vote. So I voted for Lib Dem more than I voted against the others.

Caporegime

I'm only aware of one Tory voter this time (though suspect a few others), amusingly he's from an ethnic minority background and grew up on a council estate. His Facebook feed is full of him having arguments with various other mutual acquaintances.

The rest, that I know of, are Labour and a few (mostly the smarter ones :D) are Lib Dem.

I don't think it is a liberal bubble thing so much as an age thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom