Poll: Poll: UK General Election 2017 - Mk II

Who will you vote for?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
I don't mean to be rude but you can't actually disagree with a fact, you can only be of the wrong opinion. Killing a suspect without due process or a trail is a travesty of justice, especially when a first world nation with established legal process is holding the trigger. It's that simple.

So the killing of Jihadi John would be a 'travesty of justice' then?

Man of Honour
So anyone else seen the labour proposal to change council tax to a land value tax.

Based on their costing document would put my council tax bill up to over 4k a year :/

50% of house value is land value they say and they want to put a level of up to 3%of the land value
Jesus Christ. In my area most family houses are over £1m. So if I've calculated that right it's £16k per year tax for most families around here. Thanks Labour.

Associate
Saw this earlier and thought it was brilliantly put
Here's what I'm really struggling to understand. All I've ever heard from people, for years, is:

"bloody bankers and their bonuses"
"bloody rich and their offshore tax havens "
"bloody politicians with their lying and second homes"
“bloody corporations paying less tax than me”
"bloody Establishment, they're all in it together”
“it'll never change, there's no point in voting”

And quite rightly so, I said all the same things.

But then someone comes along that's different. He upsets the bankers and the rich. The Tory politicians hate him along with most of the labour politicians. The corporations throw more money at the politicians to keep him quiet. And the Establishment is visibly shaken. I've never seen the Establishment so genuinely scared of a single person.

So the media arm of the establishment gets involved. Theresa phones Rupert asking what he can do, and he tells her to keep her mouth shut, don't do the live debate, he'll sort this out. So the media goes into overdrive with:

“she's strong and stable”
“he's a clown”
“he's not a leader”
“look he can't even control his own party”
“he'll ruin the economy”
“how's he gonna pay for it all?!”
“he's a terrorist sympathiser, burn him, burn the terrorist sympathiser”

And what do we? We've waited forever for an honest politician to come along but instead of getting behind him we bow to the establishment like good little workers. They whistle and we do a little dance for them. We run around like hypnotised robots repeating headlines we've read, all nodding and agreeing. Feeling really proud of ourselves because we think we've came up with our very own first political opinion. But we haven't, we haven't came up with anything. This is how you tell. No matter where someone lives in the country, they're repeating the same headlines, word for word. From Cornwall to Newcastle people are saying:

“he's a clown”
“he’s a threat to the country”
“she's strong and stable”
“he'll take us back to the 70s”

And there's nothing else, there's no further opinion. There's no evidence apart from 1 radio 5 interview that isn't even concrete evidence, he actually condemns the violence of both sides in the interview. There's no data or studies or official reports to back anything up. Try and think really hard why you think he's a clown, other than the fact he looks like a geography teacher. (no offence geography teachers) because he hasn't done anything clownish from what I've seen.

And you're not on this planet if you think the establishment and the media aren't all in it together.

You think Richard Branson, who's quietly winning NHS contracts, wants Corbyn in?

You think Rupert Murdoch, who's currently trying to widen his media monopoly by buying sky outright, wants Jeremy in?

You think the Barclay brothers, with their offshore residencies, want him in?

You think Philip Green, who stole all the pensions from BHS workers and claims his wife owns Top Shop because she lives in Monaco, wants Corbyn in?

You think the politicians, both Labour and Tory, with their second homes and alcohol paid for by us, want him in?

You think Starbucks, paying near zero tax, wants him in?

You think bankers, with their multi million pound bonuses, want him in?

And do you think they don't have contact with May? Or with the media? You honestly think that these millionaires and billionaires are the sort of people that go “ah well, easy come easy go, it was nice while it lasted”?? I wouldn't be if my personal fortune was at risk, I'd be straight on the phone to Theresa May or Rupert Murdoch demanding this gets sorted immediately.

Because here's a man, a politician that doesn't lie and can't lie. He could have said whatever would get him votes anytime he wanted but he hasn't. He lives in a normal house like us and uses the bus just like us. He's fought for justice and peace for nearly 40 years. He has no career ambitions. And his seat is untouchable. That's one of the greatest testimonies. No one comes close to removing him from his constituency, election after election.

His Manifesto is fully costed. It all adds up, yes there's some borrowing but that's just to renationalise the railway, you know we already subsidise them and they make profit yeah? One more time… WE subsidise the railway companies and they walk away with a profit, just try and grasp the level of **** taking going on there.

Unlike the Tory manifesto with a £9 billion hole, their figures don't even add up.

And it benefits all of us, young, old, working, disabled, everyone. The only people it hurts are the establishment, the rich, the bankers, the top 5% highest earners.

Good, screw them, it's long overdue. #VoteLabour #Forthemanynotthefew

I'm not rich or a banker and don't have a second home and I don't want Corbyn in. He's spineless, he's at war with his own party and along with Abbott and McDonnell they'd be an absolute disaster.

Soldato
That happened within 18 months of a World financial crisis.

It's not like as a country we couldn't have saved for a rainy day rather than borrowing and living beyond our means, which is exactly what will happen if Labour ever got in power. They just buy votes with successful people's money and national debt. I suppose this is a nation of people who live on creditcards and buy now pay later finance deals though

Caporegime
It's not like as a country we couldn't have saved for a rainy day rather than borrowing and living beyond our means, which is exactly what will happen if Labour ever got in power. They just buy votes with successful people's money and national debt. I suppose this is a nation of people who live on creditcards and buy now pay later finance deals though

Ahh and the Tories have been saving have they? They consistently don't, on average they spend more over their tenure.

Permabanned
Their costing document? you mean the telegraph?

"The manifesto contains no detail of how the tax would be applied, but the Conservatives claim tax on the the average family home would go up from £1,185 to £3,837 per year, an increase of £2,651 or 224 per cent."
says the conservatives and the telegraph

hmmm ...

edit : in fact all they have said is
"initiate a review into reforming council tax and business rates and consider new options, such as a land value tax, to ensure local government has sustainable funding for the long term."

also good post dalehitchy

Now I look into it I dont really understand if this applies to residential home owners or just businesses/land owners.

Soldato
Saw this earlier and thought it was brilliantly put
Here's what I'm really struggling to understand. All I've ever heard from people, for years, is:

"bloody bankers and their bonuses"
"bloody rich and their offshore tax havens "
"bloody politicians with their lying and second homes"
“orking, disabled, everyone. The only people it hurts are the establishment, the rich, the bankers, the top 5% highest earners.

Good, screw them, it's long overdue. #VoteLabour #Forthemanynotthefew

blah blah... this is basically complete nonsense.

just on his honesty, have a read of this:

https://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2017/05/the-three-lies-that-jeremy-corbyn-told-andrew-neil/#

says it all, that facts dont lie.

Caporegime
3/4 of people using social care have carers in their own home. These people do not have to fund care by selling their homes.

Only ridiculously expensive 'residential' care (1/4 of people) have their homes taken in to consideration, and that is because residential care homes charge £1000+ a week.

Conservatives want everybodys homes to pay for social care, whether it's residential or in-home.

no one has to sell their homes - that doesn't happen until after death

as you've pointed out non-residential care is cheaper anyway... why exactly do you think that property as an asset should be exempt vs say cash or investments?

Soldato
Ahh and the Tories have been saving have they? They consistently don't, on average they spend more over their tenure.

They've lowered the deficit significantly though with the goal of reaching zero borrowing, which is why everyone is crying about the cuts that have been necessary.

Soldato

Turn the question around for a moment then; what can you say austerity has achieved for us?

All I see is declining living standards, stagnating wages, increased living costs & crippled public services. What have I missed?

There's solid economical evidence out there that spending can help push an economy out of trouble. I'll be honest, I was strongly in favour of the austerity measures over the last 2 elections but the simple fact is they have not worked (apart from the corporations and wealthy who have had some lovely tax breaks)

I'm happy to be contradicted though?

Soldato
My home will not be sold to fund my looking after under any party, if i live to an old age i am going to leech as much money as i can out of the system i paid into all my life :)

Soldato
I think I'm going lib dem because they are the party most likely to beat the tories in my area.

My main concern is that I don't want Labour or the Tories in power, I'm literally having to decide who will be the least crap party :(

Soldato
Saw this earlier and thought it was brilliantly put..

Was it on facebook by any chance :p

Last time I checked the Labour Manifesto wasn't fully costed... Independent Monetary Committee I believe did an extensive run down into it.

Like the way you said borrow 'some money' to nationalise the railway. It would cost billions.

Abbott couldn't figure out how much 10,000 extra police would cost and Corbyn couldn't remember how much free child care for 1.4m would cost.

You know long term raising minimum wage will hurt unskilled/ poorest in society?

You know that nationalising the railways means poorer areas will be contributing more to the railways? Most of journeys are made in the South East... and majority of the cost is covered by the passenger. Now you are expecting the rest of the country to pay more than they do currently towards the railways when most probably don't use them?

Increasing Corporation Tax will lower foreign investment, slow down productivity, decrease employment and the knock on effect is that income tax revenue takes a hit.

Labour has taken current tax revenues and grossed them up as per their planned changes. In reality that doesn't work... proven numerous times.

'The only people it hurts are the establishment, the rich, the bankers, the top 5% highest earners.' - these people probably won't feel much, if anything. Sorry to burst your bubble.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom