Poll: Poll: UK General Election 2017 - Mk II

Who will you vote for?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
That so many people are considering Labour is deeply alarming.

Jeremy Corbyn:

Career politician for over 30 years.
Never had a meaningful job.
Terrorist sympathiser.
Weak on defence.
Economic policies straight out of the bad days of the 1970's.
Slept with Diane Abbott.
Is a garden gnome

Diane Abbott:

Racist.
Useless.
Is Diane Abbott.
Slept with Jeremy Corbyn.

John McDonnell

Arch Marxist.
Is John McDonnell.
Economically incompetent.

Soldato
So Jeremy Corbyn is Donald Trump using the same populist sound bites and tropes with no intention of ever having to actually deliver on them... Not reassuring me of the consequences of him getting in. By the time it becomes clear most of the promises designed to grab voters cant be delivered it'll be too late and we'll have 5 years of our own Mini Trump.. Oh yay!

Can't dispute the Tories got cocky and screwed it up for themselves though - all they had to do was shut up and say "more of the same whilst we get through this tricky time" with an occasional promise of more money for nurses, children and puppies and they'd have romped it.

Yes indeed, the tories have handled this all ludicrously badly.

Caporegime
Another panic stricken Tory drawing for personal attacks of the opposition.

Why not highlight some Tory policies instead of this rubbish?

Exactly. The Tories and supporters seem to have gone into full blown personal attacks now they are panicking. I mean come on May, attack the Labour policies not start mouthing off about Corbyrn being naked.

If that is the best you can do then I am afraid you will lose even more votes.

Associate
Perhaps May shouldn't have called an election then? The Tories could have just focused on Brexit without all this faff.
She knows that the economy is likely to take a hit whatever the outcome of Brexit. If the Conservatives had seen out the existing term, they wouldn't have much of an opportunity to try to recover it or put any of their other non-Brexit policies in place. That would put them in a precarious position come the next election. By calling the election early (especially when they sensed blood) she was hedging that the electorate would stand behind her and that Brexit would be such a strong issue that the other parties would struggle. They'd have a solid 3 years of governance post-Brexit to convince us that they're doing a good job.

I think she anticipated that Labour's response would be "but we'd be better at Brexit" or "we'd have a second referendum" and doom themselves, but instead they've sidelined Brexit (they'll do it and try to get a good deal) and focused on domestic policies that are pressing for most people, like education and the NHS. It might still turn out in May's favour -- they might still do a good job but with some of their more extreme policies tempered -- but I don't think the narrative is spinning itself exactly how she foresaw it.

Soldato

If anything, I'm a panic stricken Briton. The idea that our nation could be led by a terrorist sympathiser who wants us to disarm our nuclear arsenal and travel back economically to 1970 is deeply alarming. I've no real love affair with the Tories, but they are the only rational choice between what's on offer. You might say I am a Tory by default, not choice.

If we're dragging the discussion down to that level, David Cameron allegedly had sex with a pig.

And if he was standing for election, that might be relevant! Also, please do not misquote me.

Soldato
Macro said:
Can't dispute the Tories got cocky and screwed it up for themselves though - all they had to do was shut up and say "more of the same whilst we get through this tricky time" with an occasional promise of more money for nurses, children and puppies and they'd have romped it.

Precisely, this just shows their utter level of incompetence that they can't even manage a guaranteed landslide victory being handed to them on a plate without dropping it

Not sure why anyone would have confidence in them. Oh, that's right, because they keep telling us they are 'Strong and stable'.....what a joke

Man of Honour
I really do wish the debate could be about actual policies and not sensationalism. Can we drop the 'terrorist sympathiser' point already? Coming from someone who is undecided on preferences it's a really, really weak point.

Soldato
It's funny watching the Tories and their supporters implode. After playing with the countries future with a brexit vote which they then lost, and then May calling an election which she wasn't going to call as she was dealing with brexit the whole thing has been a complete shambles.

Caporegime
Can't decide between liberal and green party.

Surprised more aren't wanting to scrap trident (I support this)
And the extra 178 bn for defense etc From tory party seems crazy.

Dissapointed there's not much on environmental from anyone.

I don't see where labour can get the money from
As much as the manifesto from labour is lovely I cannot see the source of the funds

Agree with eu second referendum too lol

I've voted Conservative in past

Soldato
That so many people are considering Labour is deeply alarming.

Jeremy Corbyn:

Career politician for over 30 years.
Terrorist sympathiser.
Weak on defence.
Economic policies straight out of the bad days of the 1970's.
Slept with Diane Abbott.
Is a garden gnome

Diane Abbott:

Racist.
Useless.
Is Diane Abbott.
Slept with Jeremy Corbyn.

John McDonnell

Arch Marxist.
Is John McDonnell.
Economically incompetent.

I'd consider it more alarming that, in the face of all of this, many people would still rather vote for them than the current government. Frankly, it shows just how much the current government is failing.

The Conservative Party has taken your "Tory by Default" stance for granted. They've taken my stance as a Tory voter at the last two elections for granted. They're expecting a vague manifesto and a campaign that's scant on policy detail, heavy on the personal attacks, to give them a mandate to do as they wish for the next 5 years. Irrespective of anything else, that is something I refuse to vote for. It is a politics that I find repugnant.

Living in a Tory/Labour marginal, where the Lib Dems finished last, behind the Greens, in 2015, my choices are clear; the Tories, Labour, or an almost certainly wasted vote for the Lib Dems. I'm yet to choose between the latter two options, but I won't be voting for the Tories.

Last edited:
Caporegime

The Tory policies are awful and unpopular, some of the major ones at least, and so all they have left is "Corbyn is weak. Corbyn is a marxist. Corbyn is the IRA." May is at it right now, so it's no wonder her followers are doing the same.

Man of Honour
Surprised more aren't wanting to scrap trident (I support this)

There is one aspect people don't talk about with scrapping Trident - the cost of decommissioning it and the adjustment and increase of our conventional forces to compensate would be astronomical making the cost of Trident seem tiny. None the least scrapping it is lunacy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom