• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Poll: Poll: Will you be buying a 2080Ti/2080/2070?

Which card will you be buying?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Associate
To me Ray Tracing is in the same league as in 1999 when they introduced Hardware TransForm & Lighting. To me it's not about performance metrics in this release, it's about getting a whole new hardware feature that will alter the way future games will look with much more realistic lighting, shadows, reflections, colour reflections.

Soldato
To me Ray Tracing is in the same league as in 1999 when they introduced Hardware TransForm & Lighting. To me it's not about performance metrics in this release, it's about getting a whole new hardware feature that will alter the way future games will look with much more realistic lighting, shadows, reflections, colour reflections.
Is it all proprietary? Or will AMD introduction their own gigaray tech?

Soldato

This is undoubtedly true, and I agree it'll be cool to see games take advantage of it but the first generation is always a bit "meh". There will be far more games that support it by the time the next generation comes out and by that time the drivers will be more mature, and any problems will be sorted out. I'll be skipping this generation because none of the announced games appeals to me.

Plus I can't afford it :).

Associate
If prices keep going up like this every new generation I think next time I upgrade it will be whatever the latest Xbox or PS is...

Associate
No... I still have a 970GTX which runs my games fine, I really cant justify spending to myself spending so much on a new GPU. Maybe I'll get a 10XX GTX once the prices drop a bit more.

Soldato

Is it though? At this price range you're pricing the majority of buyers out of the market and without mainstream adoption good luck seeing it in any meaningful amount of game releases. Until this tech hits the next gen consoles it won't see any significant traction outside of tacked on features for Geforce branded titles, the gaming market has significantly changed since 1999.

Caporegime
Is it though? At this price range you're pricing the majority of buyers out of the market and without mainstream adoption good luck seeing it in any meaningful amount of game releases. Until this tech hits the next gen consoles it won't see any significant traction outside of tacked on features for Geforce branded titles, the gaming market has significantly changed since 1999.

Absolutely, RT will be a niche feature with poor adoption as they’ve priced the vast majority out.

It’ll trickle down eventually but I’m not paying the insane early adopter tax personally.

Soldato
There's always the other cards. Are people considering those (2070/2080) or are we all Ti queens? It's Ti or nothing? Really this thread would have been better polling about the 2070/80/Ti , not just the top card.

Associate

I'm not taking price into the equation. I am sure it will be a feature every next generation with have incorporated, just as T&L was eventhough not many games at the release supported it. I remember the Evolva tech demo and later game release well.

I expected nvidia to release the cards in this price segment, since it wouldn't make any sense for them to compete with them selves and reduces costs of the current Pascal line up. As long as they can make a profit of a mid-tier GPU like the 1080 wafers, they'll do that... I understand that from a business perspective, but from a consumer level it's no fun.

Soldato
Absolutely, RT will be a niche feature with poor adoption as they’ve priced the vast majority out.

It’ll trickle down eventually but I’m not paying the insane early adopter tax personally.

The pricing is bonkers and as consumers we are part of the problem I paid £850 for a Titan Maxwell on release and £900 each on my old 1080ti's but it's now come to the point where presumably (tbc reviews) a 30% perf bump costs double? Funnily I found some old receipts yesterday and I paid £450 each for 2 Ichill x4 980s shortly after release...the equivalent now would be £750-800

I'm almost thankful I am out of the desktop game for now (had to downsize to a stupidly expensive Alienware lappy due to space constraints).

Soldato
My biggest problem with these very high prices is that I don't hardly play games much these days..

where over 10 years ago I used to spend all day & night playing games almost everyday so would have got my money worth...

Associate
Nope - very happy with my GTX 1080Ti / 1440p 144hz combo currently.

Price, power consumption and thermals looked to have crept up over Pascal and the lack of traditional benchmarks speak volumes.

Yes, I'm sure they'll be improvements over the current gen but I squarely believe the 'quantum leap' levels of performance shown in the graphs is squarely in the RT only space which probably isn't realistic for most users / use cases.

Reminds me of the Pascal launch ehen everything was about how much better VR performance was etc...

Back
Top Bottom