Porridge... during the lockdown I rediscovered it and now eat it almost every day.

Soldato
Muesli and hot milk = fancy porridge with bits in.
50742439333_1cc9762364_o_d.gif

Soldato
40g oats, 265ml water, bring to the boil then simmer for 3-4 minutes, done.
If I'm feeling adventurous I might stick honey in it.
At one point I was sticking flax seeds chia seeds and stevia in it but it's too hipsterish. I'm working up to just trying it with water and salt, as it was originally intended to be eaten but I'm not there yet.

Caporegime
OP
At one point I was sticking flax seeds chia seeds and stevia in it but it's too hipsterish. I'm working up to just trying it with water and salt, as it was originally intended to be eaten but I'm not there yet.
I just can't eat oats with only water it just really turns me off... it has to be milk. Also, since I started eating oats with 300ml of milk almost every day for a year, my nails and teeth are way stronger.

Soldato

I tried it with just a pinch of salt once (after reading thjs thread), yuck, not for me.

Caporegime
OP
I mix in salt and drizzle honey on top. The salt really brings out the flavour of the oats - when I'd had it previously without it was just bland sludge :p
That also depends on the oats yo use... for example the ones from Lidl are tasteless whereas ones from other brands are way more flavoursome.

Soldato
Love a bowl of porridge in the morning. Been having it since I was little. In my teens I used to sprinkle with sugar occasionally. My dad is a proper Scotsmen. Only a bit of salt on it. Cooked in a pan with water and salt. Then bit of milk in the bowl with it.

He used to call me English as I dared contaminate the sacred porridge with something other than salt.

Associate
I've started doing overnight oats. Just oats and milk, layer of yoghurt, then walnuts, raisins and home made apple jam. Topped off with a sprinkle of cinnamon. It's incredible and a great time saver in the morning.

Associate
Ignored this previously, but as it's popular, my 2c.

Deep/massive bowl as anything smaller is a waste of time for me. Highly annoying when only the small bowls are left in the cupboard.

Quaker or Scots cause oats are cheap enough anyway. Mostly water, some coconut milk. Eat some fruit while waiting for it to cool. Then few quirts of whatever honey i have chosen to buy on sale, or if i'm feeling i need the boost a dollop of manuka. Manuka is so pokey and rich, it's great.

Never tried salt, but as above i don't do little bowls, so not sure i could handle that much savoury slurp in one go. Might try it as a side at some point.

Back
Top Bottom