Porsche Owners Thread - If you own one or just like or hate them! :)

olv

olv

Soldato
Just had a call from my OPC, who said its going to be unlikely any RWD (911) cars will be produced this year. However, they are trying to follow it up for me.

So it maybe a case of my order will get moved to a 992 and i'll have one of first ones off the line.

Haha what a crock of ****. Porsche are having a laugh aren't they. You've ordered a £100k+ standard model Porsche 2-3 months ago? And they can't even tell if you'll actually get what you've ordered, let alone when it will arrive? Or even if it will ever arrive? Yet you might get an early model of a different car 12 months later, that won't be a GTS or might not even be what you want?

I thought the farcical nature of buying GT cars was hilarious but this is just funny. I'm a huge Porsche fan but their current sales model is ******.

RSR

RSR

Soldato
You've ordered a £100k+ standard model Porsche 2-3 months ago? And they can't even tell if you'll actually get what you've ordered, let alone when it will arrive? Or even if it will ever arrive? Yet you might get an early model of a different car 12 months later, that won't be a GTS or might not even be what you want?

Yes, I placed the order for the 911 GTS in February and I was advised at the time the factory was going to be shutting down in March to September but to add a extra complication I have ordered it on the condition that it can be spec'ed in a PTS colour.

However, to be fair to them even the OPC wouldn't have known about the limited models back then but they have been giving me a monthly update.

Soldato
Was behind a brand new Cayman S today with the top down, don't know why people are knocking the turbo engine sound, its sounded fantastic following it at full throttle.

RSR

RSR

Soldato
So the 718 GT4 rumour mill is starting to speed up now....

4.0L NASP
420HP ~
PDK and Manwell options
Spring 2019 launch

or does it have a flat six turbo unit as shown in this YT example (GT4 Clubsport) which was testing at Monza not so long ago.

Soldato
Porsche face a bit of a conundrum with this IMO. There's a price gap of about $40-45k in the US between the outgoing GT4 and the 991.2 GT3. If they put the 4.0 motor in it (the only N/A motor Porsche currently have at their disposal for such a car), then the price will rocket to probably $120k. At $20k less than a GT3, I struggle to see why the GT3 exists, given the GT4 with a 4.0, even if detuned, would be better in almost every conceivable way. Part of me thinks they'll bring this GT4 out, and next cycle they wont do a GT3, but they'll keep the GT3RS for those that really want the 911 platform over the Cayman.

This is all conjecture on my part of course, but it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if it plays out this way. For me it's win/win, as if they bring the new car out at $120k, all it will do is strengthen the already incredible residuals of the current GT4. If they bring it out cheaper, at only a mild increase over the outgoing model, then the cost to change will be less anyway.

Man of Honour
So the 718 GT4 rumour mill is starting to speed up now....

4.0L NASP
420HP ~
PDK and Manwell options
Spring 2019 launch

or does it have a flat six turbo unit as shown in this YT example (GT4 Clubsport) which was testing at Monza not so long ago.

One of my mates has one coming he doesn't want. Tempted...

Man of Honour
would be nuts not to take it. The last one was so special.

Well I had the promise of the first one from another friend, but when it went overs mad he (rightly) flipped it for overs. When I agreed to take the car overs was not a thing really but with this one it will be as well and I am not really prepared to pay overs.

Soldato
Was behind a brand new Cayman S today with the top down, don't know why people are knocking the turbo engine sound, its sounded fantastic following it at full throttle.
On the contrary, I heard a standard 718 Boxster start up at a petrol station the other day and thought it sounded terrible. Noisy, but not a good noisy.

Associate
agreed. wouldnt call it horrible, but just doesnt have that awesome porsche noise. had an extended test drive in one, back to back with a 911. No contest, the noise was subaru vs supercar. night and day. If was in the market for a boxster/cayman - buy the previous gen 981.

RSR

RSR

Soldato
Wasn’t there a publicised engine issue on these? The 991.1 GT3

Yes, they like the grenade themselves, due to poor oiling solution and they had a few other little gremlins. It's meant to have been corrected in the revision "G" engines but there have been some reports of those going pop as well.

If you do plan on buying one, ensure they have a full OPC warranty.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom