Porsche Owners Thread - If you own one or just like or hate them! :)

Soldato
The 981 cayman will remain a fabulous sports car forever. The options list is always something Porsche owners love to fawn over, but in all honesty when you’re on a B road blast, a sports exhaust is about the only one that will really matter! Much as I love heated seats, on a coupe it wouldn’t be a deal breaker for me. There is an increasing demand for un-optioned 3.4L 996 911’s as they’re seen to be “purer” or something. What I’m trying to say is that in the fullness of time it won’t really matter.

Even the humble 986 (original boxster) is a fantastic piece of kit.

Caporegime
The 981 cayman will remain a fabulous sports car forever. The options list is always something Porsche owners love to fawn over, but in all honesty when you’re on a B road blast, a sports exhaust is about the only one that will really matter! Much as I love heated seats, on a coupe it wouldn’t be a deal breaker for me. There is an increasing demand for un-optioned 3.4L 996 911’s as they’re seen to be “purer” or something. What I’m trying to say is that in the fullness of time it won’t really matter.

Even the humble 986 (original boxster) is a fantastic piece of kit.

I tried to get one with just PSE and nav and couldn't. They're literally all or nothing!

Caporegime
I tried to get one with just PSE and nav and couldn't. They're literally all or nothing!

I just went through the Porsche’s website to build one, it seems quite a few things require you to have one thing before you get another. Some things have packages which is cheaper than getting part of it on its own to entice you getting the package.

RSR

RSR

Soldato
Just had the call to say my major service has been completed with a MOT and its coming in at £1096.XX

So ill collect the car in a bit.

Caporegime
Just had the call to say my major service has been completed with a MOT and its coming in at £1096.XX

So ill collect the car in a bit.

That’s every 4 years right?

With minor service £600, that’s 1700 over 4 years making it £425 a year.

It’s like the cost of running my Volvo. Of course the warranty on top but they covers all parts? Including things like bushes and timing belt?

RSR

RSR

Soldato
Yes, that’s the major service and thats every 4 years. Once I get the invoice I’ll type up the full break down.

I guess timing / aux belt would be classed as a consumables. So that will be chargable. I’ll find out when I collect the car.

So in 4 years since new it’s cost me £2000~ in service costs. That including the oil change I had after 12 months but that was at my descresion and it’s not part of the planned service schedule.

Caporegime
Yes, that’s the major service and thats every 4 years. Once I get the invoice I’ll type up the full break down.

I guess timing / aux belt would be classed as a consumables. So that will be chargable. I’ll find out when I collect the car.

So in 4 years since new it’s cost me £2000~ in service costs. That including the oil change I had after 12 months but that was at my descresion and it’s not part of the planned service schedule.

Thanks, if you can find out the cost of the timing belt that would be great.

RSR

RSR

Soldato
That’s really cheap?! It must be easily accessible, the C30 is £400 because of all the labour and you do the water pump at the same time as it’s next to it.

Its a fairly easy change well I know it was on the 987's, as you used to slide the seats forward, remove the carpet behind the seats and they gain access that way.

Caporegime
Its a fairly easy change well I know it was on the 987's, as you used to slide the seats forward, remove the carpet behind the seats and they gain access that way.

I actually just came across a video “cost of ownership for a Cayman” video and one item I saw on the receipt was the timing belt, it was £43 for the part and then about £70 for labour. Who would’ve thunk it? A timing belt change for a Porsche is less than a Volvo, or even a Ford Focus even (same platform).

I think if I get one with 18 or 19” wheels it will keep the running cost even lower too.

I’ve also done more research, the 987.2 is the last one with the hydraulic steering and don’t suffer from the IMS? Problem which affects 5% of the cars in gen 1. The price of them are also around £20k for 2010 models.

RSR

RSR

Soldato
I’ve also done more research, the 987.2 is the last one with the hydraulic steering and don’t suffer from the IMS? Problem which affects 5% of the cars in gen 1. The price of them are also around £20k for 2010 models.

987.2 from memory comes with the DFI engine, so they are safe from the IMS issue and it's the earlier 987.1 non DFI engines which have the IMS problems.

Man of Honour
Who would’ve thunk it? A timing belt change for a Porsche is less than a Volvo, or even a Ford Focus even (same platform).

What?

A Cayman doesn't have a timing belt, it's chain driven.

You are talking about the aux belt which is much cheaper and easier to replace than a timing belt on any car. You can't compare the cost of changing an aux belt with changing a timing belt, the two are not the same.

Aux belts are easy on most cars.

Caporegime
What?

A Cayman doesn't have a timing belt, it's chain driven.

You are talking about the aux belt which is much cheaper and easier to replace than a timing belt on any car. You can't compare the cost of changing an aux belt with changing a timing belt, the two are not the same.

Aux belts are easy on most cars.

Ok thanks, chain driven, even better!

Actually I was talking about the timing belt (or chain) I didn’t say Aux once. But the others who mentioned the cost for the belt (whichever one it is) and it’s cost.

Ok, to be specifically, it is the Drive Belt that is the £46 part.

GucxTii.png

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom