Porsche Owners Thread - If you own one or just like or hate them! :)

Soldato
I had the chance to attend an Andrew Walsh (formerly CarLimits) Activity Day yesterday in memory of a member of another forum who passed away earlier this year.

First time I've been able to drive the car at, and beyond, its (and my) limits and I'm genuinely astounded at how competent and mostly forgiving it is with Please Save Me turned off.

I was trying to balance speed with throwing it around to see what would happen so not the smoothest but much more fun.

Great day out but I need to work on my Go Pro mounting solution, Hypersmooth was knackered by the g-forces Reelsteady does an annoying amount of cropping.
Definitely need to do this next year, looks fun. I actually signed up for it during covid but they went 'bankrupt' and I lost my booking. Left a bad taste in my mouth!

Last edited:

DRZ

DRZ

Soldato
Definitely need to do this next year, looks fun. I actually signed up for it during covid but they went 'bankrupt' and I lost my booking. Left a bad taste in my mouth!

DriveLimits is run by Mark Robins who did almost all of the CarLimits coaching anyway toward the end. I've done one of his days (with @chrisd) and it was just as good as the old CarLimits days, so if you'd rather not give Walshy any money then that is always an option.

Soldato

Not to negate your experience as you really should have got your money back (I watched a friend go through hell issuing refunds for his travel business during COVID) and I can't pretend to know all the details but was told that Andrew had to sell off CarLimits and ultimately lost his house during COVID. There's some other stuff that's happened since then that I don't know if it is public knowledge but it's been a hard few years and it was great to see him back doing what he loves.

Certainly understand if as a result of your experience you don't want to book again in which case see below.......

DriveLimits is run by Mark Robins who did almost all of the CarLimits coaching anyway toward the end. I've done one of his days (with @chrisd) and it was just as good as the old CarLimits days, so if you'd rather not give Walshy any money then that is always an option.

Big fan of Mark too, I was booked on one of his days a few weeks ago which runs the same format but with the MSA circuit with less of a sharp first chicane resulting in slightly faster lap times. Annoyingly I couldn't get out of work so was only able to rock up at 2pm but got a couple of runs around 1m 13/14s. Mark told me the car was capable of a 1m 4s time so I jumped in the passenger seat for the final run and he only managed a 1m 7s as he was too busy showboating. Guy has a lot of talent and the left turn after the run back up the long straight was the kind of flick it in and then power slide that I can only dream of doing, all in a car that he'd never driven before.

Soldato
Im still toying with first Porsche ownership, as well as other things, including GT86's (different price of course).

Was only really looking at Caymans, but I spotted this Boxtser and I love the combo. Wont be to everyones taste but just seems right to me: https://www.pistonheads.com/buy/listing/14066464

Looks like a good spec too from my point of view
Screams timeless to me! Good luck getting the vendor to answer the phone though. They were useless when I was trying to buy a Jag from them.

Soldato
Im still toying with first Porsche ownership, as well as other things, including GT86's (different price of course).

Was only really looking at Caymans, but I spotted this Boxtser and I love the combo. Wont be to everyones taste but just seems right to me: https://www.pistonheads.com/buy/listing/14066464

Looks like a good spec too from my point of view

Double brown not always in fashion but I like it. Added bonus over a cayman that the roof comes off! I really like the 981 shape.

OcUK Staff
OP
Both my Porsches are gone now, will certainly miss them but it seemed to make sense and was right time to sell whilst Porsche prices are still rather inflated.
Enjoyed the GT3 immensely in the four months I had it over Summer and four track days, the car cost me nothing to own, even petrol was probably free. :)

The Spyder was dropped off with a collector this weekend, owned that car for nearly two years, few track days and thoroughly enjoyed it, again ownership was pretty much free, due to it appreciating a healthy amount.

I shall see how Mclaren life treats me but I suspect I will drop back into a 991.2 GT3 / RS at some point once prices have softened.

Soldato
Both my Porsches are gone now, will certainly miss them but it seemed to make sense and was right time to sell whilst Porsche prices are still rather inflated.
Enjoyed the GT3 immensely in the four months I had it over Summer and four track days, the car cost me nothing to own, even petrol was probably free. :)

The Spyder was dropped off with a collector this weekend, owned that car for nearly two years, few track days and thoroughly enjoyed it, again ownership was pretty much free, due to it appreciating a healthy amount.

I shall see how Mclaren life treats me but I suspect I will drop back into a 991.2 GT3 / RS at some point once prices have softened.
Fair play, I didn't think you'd sell the Boxster. But with the prices still holding stong, like you say, it's a good time to cash in and have enjoyed almost free ownship costs.

Time to lose money on fixing a niggly Alfa and McLaren :p

Man of Honour
Shame, I have had a really good offer on my M3, if I decide to let it go I would have been in touch about the Spyder.

Soldato
Picked up my Papaya Macan S today.

Paint is absolutely stunning, and really happy I went with the papaya stitching and seatbelts on the interior.

Although not had the best of luck as I managed to pick up a screw in my nearside rear on the way to work 2 hours after collection :mad:

Soldato
Picked up my Papaya Macan S today.

Paint is absolutely stunning, and really happy I went with the papaya stitching and seatbelts on the interior.

Although not had the best of luck as I managed to pick up a screw in my nearside rear on the way to work 2 hours after collection :mad:

OOOOOO, let's see some pics of the colour, Papaya is epic.

Balls on the tyre, can it be plugged?

Soldato
Some photos from Reep when it was having its ceramic done - Didn't get any good pics today as it was chucking it down!

Been told by Porsche Assistance they don't plug their tyres, but will see what Kwik Fit say. Annoying as I was meant to be driving to Manchester tomorrow and Black Circles/Kwik Fit don't have any availability tomorrow. Going to try my luck first thing with Porsche and play the pity card to see if they can squeeze it in if they have one in stock

Soldato
Called Guildford Porsche this morning, and they have a tyre, and have said they won't charge me a penny and can replace it at 10am.

Really good gesture they didn't need to do.
Hell of a result there, fair play to them!

That colour really is something else, like a shiny burnt orange :D

Soldato
That looks ace. I've got an '18 Macan Turbo and frigging love it.

I may need a full set of new tyres soon - Pirelli's (N rated) on it at the mo (dry grip good, wet grip questionable) - any suggestions?

Soldato
That looks ace. I've got an '18 Macan Turbo and frigging love it.

I may need a full set of new tyres soon - Pirelli's (N rated) on it at the mo (dry grip good, wet grip questionable) - any suggestions?
Insert Generic PS4S response. But do you need to keep "N" tyres (if you have the warranty that is)?

We should all meet up for a Carwow drag race, I'd like to see the front of the Macan in my rear view mirror :D

Soldato
Insert Generic PS4S response. But do you need to keep "N" tyres (if you have the warranty that is)?

We should all meet up for a Carwow drag race, I'd like to see the front of the Macan in my rear view mirror :D

Thanks.

Yes I have a Porsche warranty so I certainly would want to. So, for clarity - are the PS4S N rated, or not?

OcUK Staff
OP
Thanks.

Yes I have a Porsche warranty so I certainly would want to. So, for clarity - are the PS4S N rated, or not?

I had none N rated PS4S on both my C2S and GT3, both under warranty, was never an issue. I guess official stance is warranty void but speak to your local dealer, let them know your thinking of fitting such tyre and will it be an issue?

On my C2S it was Supersports but the N rated options were poorer PS2 and some of not so great tyres, the dealership at the time fully understood I wanted to fit the better tyre and as such turned a blind eye to it I guess.
On my GT3 it had PS4S and I cannot remember if N rated or not, but the PS4S was never approved for GT3 it was either Dunlop or Cup 2, but again the owner prior to me fitted them because he used it as a daily and wanted a tyre which was also OK in the wet, Porsche dealership put him a warranty on the car with PS4S fitted and never mentioned the tyres. So two different dealerships, both seeing common sense.

Back
Top Bottom