Porsche Owners Thread - If you own one or just like or hate them! :)

Caporegime
Got to think of the resale values and keep the mileage down!

In fairness, the spyder has a silly roof and is perfect for tucking away until the sun comes out… which isn’t all that often… hence the low mileage I guess?

@mjt - was wondering that too!

Still quite strange to have had 10 owners in 10 years though, whatever the car is. I suspect you might be right about the roof, it annoys too many people.

Soldato
Still quite strange to have had 10 owners in 10 years though, whatever the car is. I suspect you might be right about the roof, it annoys too many people.
It is a crypto car tbh. Everyone making bets on the next "modern classic" and flipping it to cash in. Like these Rolex GMTs that pop up on FB that have been through 20 peoples hands lol.

Associate
Wondering if anyone can help me with my WiFi setup on my 992.

I've got a feeling what I'm trying to achieve is not possible with the way the PCM 6 works but anyway here goes...

Summary of setup:
- use mobile phone for Internet data (at home)
- when abroad travelling/track days, I use a mobile net router/dongle, then connect phone via WiFi to dongle for data.
- currently don't have porsche data package

Now there seems to be 2 WiFi modes on the car ( I'm not meaning the 5G wifi option).
WiFi mode Nr 1-
When I start the car normally, the phone connects via Bluetooth and WiFi (via AutoAndroid) and I have use of the data via the phone. I can use the mobile phone to look for a hotel on Google maps, then share navigation through myporsche app & the car will recieve the guidance route etc. WhatsApp text messages on autoandriod come through and works fine, along with spotify etc etc.

My phone and car says I'm connected via Bluetooth & WiFi

Call it network 911-123

Wifi mode Nr 2-

Now, if l want to use the precision track app with my phone, I have to connect to the car hotspot. Now, i'll be connected to the original network 911-123 from the initial phone coupling; however with the trackapp, it requires me to connect to the car hotspot. Now if I check my WiFi settings on the phone, it says I'm connected to 911-123 via AutoAndroid, but 911-123 and 911-123 5g is also available to connect to. These available networks being the car hotspot.

However, when I connect to the hotspot, the car wants to use the car data package (which isn't there) therefore general use of PCM functionality is gone; as the hotspot doesn't utilise the mobile phone.

I take it both wifi modes are the same network, its just the functionality goes when I use the PCM in certain ways?

Is there any work around without getting the data package or am I just going to have to buy the data package and be done with it?

Soldato
I've got about £10/12k to spend on a car to replace my Megane engined Clio.

Would anybody say 'absolutely not' to buying a Boxster for that money? If I did start looking, what pitfalls should i be wary of?

Eh, I bought a 986 Boxster S for 3k last year..

Definitely do it :D. One of my all time favourite cars.

Soldato
*Gets ready to be run out of town, but here goes....*

I've just picked up my first Porsche yesterday. It's a 2021 model Taycan 4S, and what a rocket ship it is! I had a Tesla Model 3 LR before but this is on another level. Managed to find one with a fantastic spec:

• Performance Battery Plus 93.4 kWh
  • BOSE Surround Sound System with 14 Speakers Including Subwoofer and a Total Output of 710 Watts
  • Head Up Display
  • ParkAssist Including Surround View
  • Passenger Display
  • Adaptive Cruise Control
  • LED Matrix Main Headlights in Glacier Ice Blue Including Porsche Dynamic Light System Plus
  • Porsche Electric Sport Sound
  • Steering Wheel Rim Race-Tex including Steering Wheel Heating
  • 20in Alloy Wheels - Taycan Turbo Aero
  • Electric Side Logo
  • Brake Calipers - Black High-Gloss
  • Electrically Folding Exterior Mirrors
  • Fixed Glass Panoramic Roof
  • Privacy Glass
  • Powered Charging Port Cover
  • Wheels Painted in Satin Platinum
  • Ambient Lighting
  • Ioniser
  • Seats - Heated Front
  • Two-Tone Leather Interior - Smooth-Finish Leather - Black and Crayon
  • Sport Chrono Package
  • Mobile Charger Connect Including Home Energy Manager

tz2wSUT.png

JkIl3lP.png

o7QyRH0.png

DRZ

DRZ

Soldato
I really liked the Taycan and I'll most probably get one via a work scheme at some point (either that or the RS e-tron GT which is basically the same car). I've been in a few of the Taycan FB groups for a couple of years now and they have a certain bork factor to them so hopefully you've got a solid warranty behind you!

Soldato
Porsche warranty for just under a year which I'll definitely be renewing! It £1100 a year it's only about 100-200 quid more a year than BMW wanted for my old i3 a couple of years ago. :cry:

Last edited:
Reactions: DRZ

DRZ

DRZ

Soldato
That seems pretty reasonable all things considered and I suspect you'll more than break even on that, sadly.

On a more fun note, have you done a full bore launch yet? Pretty ridiculous... and then it changes gear :D

Man of Honour
I really liked the Taycan and I'll most probably get one via a work scheme at some point (either that or the RS e-tron GT which is basically the same car). I've been in a few of the Taycan FB groups for a couple of years now and they have a certain bork factor to them so hopefully you've got a solid warranty behind you!
I wish my work had the scheme, last I heard it won't be happening for some time. Shame, as I'd be in a Taycan or the RS.

Caporegime
*Gets ready to be run out of town, but here goes....*

I've just picked up my first Porsche yesterday. It's a 2021 model Taycan 4S, and what a rocket ship it is! I had a Tesla Model 3 LR before but this is on another level. Managed to find one with a fantastic spec:

• Performance Battery Plus 93.4 kWh
  • BOSE Surround Sound System with 14 Speakers Including Subwoofer and a Total Output of 710 Watts
  • Head Up Display
  • ParkAssist Including Surround View
  • Passenger Display
  • Adaptive Cruise Control
  • LED Matrix Main Headlights in Glacier Ice Blue Including Porsche Dynamic Light System Plus
  • Porsche Electric Sport Sound
  • Steering Wheel Rim Race-Tex including Steering Wheel Heating
  • 20in Alloy Wheels - Taycan Turbo Aero
  • Electric Side Logo
  • Brake Calipers - Black High-Gloss
  • Electrically Folding Exterior Mirrors
  • Fixed Glass Panoramic Roof
  • Privacy Glass
  • Powered Charging Port Cover
  • Wheels Painted in Satin Platinum
  • Ambient Lighting
  • Ioniser
  • Seats - Heated Front
  • Two-Tone Leather Interior - Smooth-Finish Leather - Black and Crayon
  • Sport Chrono Package
  • Mobile Charger Connect Including Home Energy Manager

tz2wSUT.png

JkIl3lP.png

o7QyRH0.png
thats just about the perfect spec. Congrats

Soldato

I urge you to test drive both. Had two back to back test drives last summer and imho the RS was better imho. Under the skin they are the same car, but for me everything sat on top swung in favour of the audi. My work colleague has the taycan turbo (regular not s) and has no end of problems with it, to the point he's had enough. Think it's mainly software related so may have been sorted now.

Personally, I prefer the regular rs not the carbon edition mainly for the pano roof.

Now, the downsides (depending on how you look at it) is despite what people say, the RS "DOES" depreciate. Depending on how you are buying it (you mentioned through work which is fair enough) it's something to consider. I've not researched the depreciation on taycans though.

Last edited:
Soldato
I could ask this on 911UK as I'm a member, but I don't want to because I'm lazy and there seem to be some knowledgeable people on here. Is there any reason not to go for a 991.2 over a 991.1? Aside from the facelift and updated tech and turbo engine (I'm not that bothered about NA vs Turbo) is it that much better? Does the aerokit carry a premium? Any must-have options, given that everything is an option?

Back
Top Bottom