Porsche Owners Thread - If you own one or just like or hate them! :)

OcUK Staff
OP
Well Gibbo's seem to be. Plenty of other spyders on 2,3 or 4 owners.

Well Gibbo's seem to be. Plenty of other spyders on 2,3 or 4 owners.

Believe mine was a press car, I always fancied one so gave it a try, was no intention of flipping it just a box to tick off, but no complaints about making a few grand when I did sell it either. :)
The guy I sold it too was a billionaire, multiple properties in Sandbanks and abroad, so he also was not buying to flip, as he had no need for money, in his words he just wanted a car to rag around for a few months and a few trips and he wanted the best one spec wise which of course is manual, bucket seats and ceramics which are very rare.

He has now since sold the car back to a previous owner so its now on 12/13 owners. Amazing car, yeah the roof is a pain but I sold it simply due to chopping and changing often and lack of space to just keep adding. 987 Spyder and Cayman R are just about the most fun you can have on a B road in a Porsche, a 997.2 GT3 RS is also pinnacle road Porsche, even though its track car. The newer cars got bigger and longer geared which for me impacted their fun ability on a British road greatly.

OcUK Staff
OP
I could ask this on 911UK as I'm a member, but I don't want to because I'm lazy and there seem to be some knowledgeable people on here. Is there any reason not to go for a 991.2 over a 991.1? Aside from the facelift and updated tech and turbo engine (I'm not that bothered about NA vs Turbo) is it that much better? Does the aerokit carry a premium? Any must-have options, given that everything is an option?

Just drive both, and you pick the one you prefer.

Soldato
I'd like to but I tend not to test drive cars unless I have as much information as possible and have made as many informed decisions as possible beforehand. Plus I don't have much spare time at the moment - full time job with int. travel plus 2 children doesn't leave much time for anything.

Soldato
If I'm ever in a position to upgrade my 997.1 (not that I'm in any rush!) I'd be going for a 991.2. I personally prefer the look of the facelift and there are slight improvements in the interior/PCM.

My main reason for wanting a facelift is the tuning potential of the turbo engine. You probably wouldn't need any more power for the road, but why on earth wouldn't you up the power with a Litchfield map? Wouldn't have to do it immediately either. There are arguments for both engines of course, and the "last of the NA 911's", but as an all round driving machine (something the 911 excels at), the turbo might make more sense in more situations.

But yes, do what @Gibbo said! Have you driven 911's before? I didn't test drive extensively before settling on my 997.1, it was the car that fit my budget.

EDIT - options are a minefield and you can wait forever for a unicorn to come along. Make a list of things that are important and those that are less so. For me it was: Mandatory - convertible, manual, PSE. Desirable - sports seats, Bose, not black/white. The later cars got all sorts of bells and whistles which offer many marginal gains. Some of those will be more important to you than to someone else.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I could ask this on 911UK as I'm a member, but I don't want to because I'm lazy and there seem to be some knowledgeable people on here. Is there any reason not to go for a 991.2 over a 991.1? Aside from the facelift and updated tech and turbo engine (I'm not that bothered about NA vs Turbo) is it that much better? Does the aerokit carry a premium? Any must-have options, given that everything is an option?
I have one of each and the CarPlay and more modern screen and slight styling tweaks on the .2 make it a nicer place to be.

The .1 sounds better.

I also had a 992 C4S and sold it as I found the thing too large/boring/quiet. It’s being replaced with a 991.2 turbo s!

Soldato
I could be converted - barbie clearly my advert education was lacking - Nicole, and the girl with the earing

screen-shot-2023-05-19-at-2-51-44-pm-png.54861

Associate

We have not long ago changed our 997 Turbo (gen1.5 manual) and test drove a 991.1 Turbo S and a 991.2 C4S on the same day at the same dealer (Nottingham).

The interior is certainly better appointed in the .2 range - with the newer style steering wheel being a lovely centrepiece (far better than the "PDK sports wheel" on the .1), as well as the .2 having memory card slots in the dash for music, and wireless charging in the centre console.

We went with the .1 Turbo S, though - mainly because of the way it drove rather than anything else. The .2 C4S felt a bit lacking in shove compared to the 997 Turbo.

Soldato
Spyder RS

Agree with his findings for a fun road car probably their best product alongside the 718 Spyder manual.

And only available to people with their head up the local dealers *** after buying £500k worth of cars in the last 3months.

Then available to plebs on the open market after the above lot have flogged them back to the dealer in a money grabbing partnership, for multiple 10s of thousands over standard pricing.

Soldato
Sadly so, and it’s even worse over here in the US.

I’ve had 22 cars from Porsche, had a GT4 RS on order from the same dealer (MSRP, signed contract). Car started production, and the dealer decided they wouldn’t honor the contract, demanded $100k over MSRP to keep my order. I told them to do one, gave up the car, but they sold it to someone else in seconds for $125k over. No loyalty, and it’ll be the last time I buy a Porsche.

Porsche used to build cars for anyone who wanted one, it’s sad to see the brand has changed so much, especially when their cars are so good.

Soldato
Sadly so, and it’s even worse over here in the US.

I’ve had 22 cars from Porsche, had a GT4 RS on order from the same dealer (MSRP, signed contract). Car started production, and the dealer decided they wouldn’t honor the contract, demanded $100k over MSRP to keep my order. I told them to do one, gave up the car, but they sold it to someone else in seconds for $125k over. No loyalty, and it’ll be the last time I buy a Porsche.

Porsche used to build cars for anyone who wanted one, it’s sad to see the brand has changed so much, especially when their cars are so good.

Shocking. I would say that sounds like a disgusting dealer issue not a Porsche issue as such. If it helps I have the same feelings about ford, but that involved Ford Corporate lying to me, and not the dealer.

I have been wanting to get my first Porsche over a year now after driving an RS on track. I certainly can't afford to be buying anything like that lol. Thinking Cayman, but 2012 DI versions are high dollar compared to the earlier ones. My wife says I should buy new (after we move). Feels wrong to be putting so much money out for a car though.

Soldato
Shocking. I would say that sounds like a disgusting dealer issue not a Porsche issue as such. If it helps I have the same feelings about ford, but that involved Ford Corporate lying to me, and not the dealer.

I have been wanting to get my first Porsche over a year now after driving an RS on track. I certainly can't afford to be buying anything like that lol. Thinking Cayman, but 2012 DI versions are high dollar compared to the earlier ones. My wife says I should buy new (after we move). Feels wrong to be putting so much money out for a car though.
Indeed, definitely a bad dealer, but I’m not alone. Many dealers have pulled the same stunts with others. Porsche used to be very good to deal with, and they were some of the last dealers over here to start being stupid with allowing over MSRP.

Sadly it’s perfectly legal in the US for dealers to charge huge markups, and for whatever reason, people keep paying it. I have never paid over MSRP for any car (~100 of them now), and refuse to change that now.

Soldato
Indeed, definitely a bad dealer, but I’m not alone. Many dealers have pulled the same stunts with others. Porsche used to be very good to deal with, and they were some of the last dealers over here to start being stupid with allowing over MSRP.

Sadly it’s perfectly legal in the US for dealers to charge huge markups, and for whatever reason, people keep paying it. I have never paid over MSRP for any car (~100 of them now), and refuse to change that now.

I am of the same opinion when buying new.

OcUK Staff
OP

Agreed, I'd never pay over MSRP for a new car, principles and all that.
Porsche are to blame though, because they allow it to happen, it is rife in the UK as well just dealers go about it differently, sell the car at MSRP to a trusted customer, said customer hands it back a few months later for a nice profit and then dealer sells its lightly used for a hansom profit as well, very clear what is happening but Porsche do nothing. There are several owners do it multiple times it seems so Porsche are also not then black listing a customer who does it. I think to an extent this is what Ferrari do but they are all guilty of it.

It is a shame because out of all the manufacturers out there I'd say now only Porsche, Mclaren, Lotus and Caterham are building brand new cars that are still about true driving feel. Most other manufacturers now just want to offer up their sporty cars but they drive nothing like a sports car, latest M2 is very evident of this, entire car felt rubbery in the way it drove, nothing was direct or involving, its an M car, very underwhelming. Problem is those left still making true drivers cars all have issues, Porsche is the flippers game, Mclaren is very expensive and limited model lineup, Lotus neither engine is particular great and Caterham well too extreme for 99.9% of customers.

This is the exact reason why so many old car values have rocketed, yes its an element of nostalgia and people who grew up always wanting one, but its also people realising the older stuff drives how you expect a car to drive but more importantly are fun to drive within the speed limits.

/rant over. :D

Back
Top Bottom