Possible issues at work

Soldato
Your employer cannot compel you to opt out of the working time directive. If this is what has happened then seek advice whilst looking for another job because if they're willing to do that they are likely not going to give two craps about dropping you when you start to make waves, unfair dismissal claim or no.

Man of Honour
What's your point? I work 12 hour days but still only work an average of 37.5 hours a week.

Some people don't mind working longer hours as long as they're paid for it.

Unfortunately a lot of people do work longer days and don't get anything for it. But then also some people are in senior roles where the salary is commensurate with doing some extra work.

Associate
Some people don't mind working longer hours as long as they're paid for it.

Unfortunately a lot of people do work longer days and don't get anything for it. But then also some people are in senior roles where the salary is commensurate with doing some extra work.

My point was more that working long days doesn't, by itself, mean long working weeks. Also since the OP is seeking advice on what to do about it, its clear the OP does mind working longer hours (at the current rates anyway) thus someone else saying 'I've got it worse', or 'that's nothing' doesn't help the OP fix a situation he feels is unreasonable.

Associate
OP
They made it seem as if we didn't sign the agreement then we can't have the job, it's an awful job, it's a food production job, unfortunately I've been looking and can't seem to find much else at the moment!

Sorry don't think I made it clear, I have been paid for all the hours, just at the standard rate, what annoys me is that I worked 235 hours, had no time in the day to relax and wind down properly and yet my paycheck wasn't really that great.

Soldato
They made it seem as if we didn't sign the agreement then we can't have the job, it's an awful job, it's a food production job, unfortunately I've been looking and can't seem to find much else at the moment!

Sorry don't think I made it clear, I have been paid for all the hours, just at the standard rate, what annoys me is that I worked 235 hours, had no time in the day to relax and wind down properly and yet my paycheck wasn't really that great.

Have you talked to your supervisor about cutting back your hours? Or are you just doing anything they pencil you in for without questioning it? What does your contract say in terms of how many hours you are employed for per week, and how many hours are you actually working on average per week?

Implying you needed to opt out of the EU regs is dodgy but in terms of the number of hours you're working first step is to raise it with your employer.

Associate
OP
.....sooo you not worked more than 48 hours a week then? :confused:

That's not what I'm massively annoyed about, I just thought I would have gotten overtime or something for going over 42 hours a week, which is what my contracted hours are

Edit - I've been doing between 52 and 59 hour weeks

Soldato
That's not what I'm massively annoyed about, I just thought I would have gotten overtime or something for going over 42 hours a week, which is what my contracted hours are

Edit - I've been doing between 52 and 59 hour weeks

You could ask not to be considered for overtime and refuse to work more than your contracted 42 hours if you wanted (they might not appreciate this), but they're under no obligation to pay you an enhanced rate for hours worked over your contracted hours. Your contract or company overtime policy should explain what their approach is.

Soldato
Associate
I feel a little confused here haha! I work 6 days a week, roughly 9 hours per day plus one day at 10/11 hours

9 hours for 5 days = 45 hours
And one of the days at 10 hours = total of 55 on an average week

Why did you say in the opening post you said you only did 235 hours in 2 months?

Back
Top Bottom