• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Possible Radeon 390X / 390 and 380X Spec / Benchmark (do not hotlink images!!!!!!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was referring to the fact that he seems to favor Nvidia so much because they're faster, cooler and uses less power. But turns out the Tahitis competitors are slower so his reasoning falls flat.

You have no idea what you are talking about, you just regurgitating the same Nvidia fan hyperbole relentlessly, like some Nvidia OCD.

Maxwell is a great card, its fast, its efficient... that does not make AMD cards slow and inefficient.

I run a 290 with a 20% over reference overclock 24/7, the maximum temperature it reaches, ever, is 69c, thats a very healthy temperature by any standard.

As for Maxwell, take nothing away from it, its a fantastic card, but its not the second coming, its still capable of pulling every bit as much power as Kepler, not all the time, but most of that efficiency comes from the card not really being pushed that hard, the clever thing about Maxwell is it knows when it does not need to draw that much power, it adjusts its self accordingly, this current generation of AMD Cards, like Kepler still run at full tilt no matter what, even if they don't need that power draw.

There is a good explanation of how this works here.

So it pretty much depends on what the card is doing, and there are reviews out there which show the efficiency in not quite so good a light.

Respect to Nvidia, great cards, no question.

Its ok to to be a fan of Green, or Red, or Blue, at the end of the day we are all hardware enfusiasts, this anti one or the other is getting rather pathetic really, lets all just grow up and respect each brand for what they are

If anyone thinks that Maxwell cards don't get hot, then check out the temp of the bottom card on this screenshot (and this was after it cooled a couple of degrees)

7MR89K4.jpg

They will be getting the water treatment in the next few days.

Correct me if I am wrong but isn't the 980 cooler not actually that great? I heard that it doesn't use the vapour chamber found on the titans, 780 and ti cards.

Personally the power requirements of a single gk110/tahiti card is my limit. I tried hawaii but had to send it back due to heat noise and driver issues. Why does that sound familiar?

Nvidia trading on the magpie-like nature of their fans & reputation of the original Titan cooler.

Like when Corsair stopped making good PSUs but everyone kept buying them because Corsair.

Like when Corsair stopped making good PSUs but everyone kept buying them because Corsair.
Yea...I've always liked Corsair's products in general, and at one point I really wanted the Corsair Air 540 case...but later realising not only the prices for their cases on average gone up, but also the huge amount of plastic and not such much steel they use for the case in contrast to Cooltek W2 which is a similar case using Aluminium and Steel at similar price, can't help but feel that they are milking and cashing in on their brand name while cutting down on quality when people ain't looking...:(

Yea...I've always liked Corsair's products in general, and at one point I really wanted the Corsair Air 540 case...but later realising not only the prices for their cases on average gone up, but also the huge amount of plastic and not such much steel they use for the case in contrast to Cooltek W2 which is a similar case using Aluminium and Steel at similar price, can't help but feel that they are milking and cashing in on their brand name while cutting down on quality when people ain't looking...:(

+1

I have used a lot of Corsair stuff in the past but things that were once good are now crap.

900D case = crap, last one fell to bits as I took it out the box.

1200i PSU = crap, show it three oced 290Xs and it dies of fright.

Dominator Platinum DDR4 = crap, very average performance.

Corsair fans = crap, no where near as good as GS or NB fans.

Corsair braided cables = crap, they keep changing the design meaning if you change PSU you have to get a new set (1200 to 1200i PSU for example).

And the number of people who have had problems with their AIO coolers.

Corsair really need to get their act together.

+1

And the number of people who have had problems with their AIO coolers.

Corsair really need to get their act together.

I was very suprised and disappointed with the mounting mechanism on the H75 I got. Cheaped out by using a plastic backing plate and so as soon as you try and apply much force to the screws the nuts at the back just bend the plastic and spin in place. However to Corsairs credit when I complained they very quickly sent me a replacement mount without question.

I was very suprised and disappointed with the mounting mechanism on the H75 I got. Cheaped out by using a plastic backing plate and so as soon as you try and apply much force to the screws the nuts at the back just bend the plastic and spin in place. However to Corsairs credit when I complained they very quickly sent me a replacement mount without question.

Thanks for that info, my H75 is the same and am very disappointed with it. Replacement better?

Thanks for that info, my H75 is the same and am very disappointed with it. Replacement better?

I've not actually tried it yet as it seems as though the contact is good enough at the moment. I suspect if I have to remove it at any point I wont be able to do the screws back up again though so I'll keep the replacement as a spare for the next time I upgrade the cpu.

K95 working ok despite a few coffee accidents
I have a early H50 still going strong runs 24/7 , I know of 8-10 people in the last year that have h60's- h110's pumps gottten noisy and been replaced or in one case just stopped.
It does seem to be a bit of a let down on corsairs part, hopefully they will go back to being good

The FD SOI die costs are lower than those of HKMG bulk CMOS at 28nm, even with the $500 SOI base wafer price versus the $129 bulk CMOS wafer price. There is the expectation that the SOI wafer prices will be reduced in the future. Because of the characteristics of FD SOI, porting IP is almost identical to bulk CMOS, and the same design flows can be used.

Die yields for FD SOI (includes body biasing) are significantly higher than those for other technology options, resulting in much lower die cost. There is also the power/performance advantage of FD SOI, compared to the other technologies, which is highly beneficial for the high-performance processors as well as for mobile platforms. The power/performance characteristics of FD SOI with body biasing, and also without body biasing, are significantly superior to bulk CMOS at 20nm, a perspective of which is shown in the following figure.

The time to reach defect density-related yields with allowance impact of parametric yields is 12 to 18 months for FD SOI versus 24 to 36 months for bulk HKMG CMOS and for
FinFETs. The faster ramp-up of wafer volumes combined with more predictable yield ramp-up provides additional cost benefits to using FD SOI over other options at 20nm.

Multiple factors need to be considered with the migration to 20nm, and the highly visible experience to date in attaining high yielding, volume production on 40nm and 28nm from the industry’s largest players provides visibility into what is likely to happen at 20nm bulk.

Cost per chip or per function is a key factor in deciding which technology to adopt at 20nm.

The IC industry is highly cost-driven, and it is critical to have good baseline data for costs. The semiconductor industry will, however, face additional challenges at 14nm and for sub-10nm technologies, but there is the near-term need to make the correct decision at 20nm. The costs associated with making the wrong decisions can be billions of dollars.

http://www.soiconsortium.org/pdf/Economic_Impact_of_the_Technology_Choices_at_28nm_20nm.pdf

More:

http://www.st.com/web/en/press/c2720
https://www.semiwiki.com/forum/content/3065-utbb-fdsoi-devices-featuring-20nm-gate-length.html
http://www.soiconsortium.org/fully-... below for extremely power-efficient SoCs.pdf
http://www.st.com/web/en/about_st/learn_fd-soi.html

It's going to be on FD-SOI @ GloFo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom