Post your actual energy usage

Just generated a few minutes ago.

That excuse for switching from plasma TV to qd-oled is growing!

Used to average 8kwh a day
w2KlexG.jpg

Last edited:
Our lounge TV is old. Only after putting a smart plug on it did I realise how much power it used. Nearly 200w! So I changed the brightness and contrast and she pulls 115w now. Much more acceptable. I did run a ROI on a new TV and it wasn't at a justifiable level yet. ha

Our lounge TV is old. Only after putting a smart plug on it did I realise how much power it used. Nearly 200w! So I changed the brightness and contrast and she pulls 115w now. Much more acceptable. I did run a ROI on a new TV and it wasn't at a justifiable level yet. ha

Think mine hits 300+ a lot. Plasma does also help heat the room to be fair!

Smart plug arrived at weekend. Seems like TV is best candidate for a test!

Last edited:
Pick up a used lcd it will pay for itself in months

Last edited:

Nope.

I'm not really sure why it's so high tbh, we have been trying to work it out for months now. I guess it doesn't help that my partners son and his g/f, were living in the same house but now they have a static caravan in the back yard, so effectively it's like running 2 houses (or say 1.5 as the caravan is mostly LPG) but instead of cooking together you have 2 separate cookers, microwaves, kettles etc.

Plus we have a stables and yard, which shouldn't use a lot of electic, but winter nights if the liveries are using the arena the floodlights are on (LED though).

We have a baseline usage through the night of betweemn 650 - 850w though, and even with the yard security lights on all night I can only account for about half of it!

Nope.

I'm not really sure why it's so high tbh, we have been trying to work it out for months now. I guess it doesn't help that my partners son and his g/f, were living in the same house but now they have a static caravan in the back yard, so effectively it's like running 2 houses (or say 1.5 as the caravan is mostly LPG) but instead of cooking together you have 2 separate cookers, microwaves, kettles etc.

Plus we have a stables and yard, which shouldn't use a lot of electic, but winter nights if the liveries are using the arena the floodlights are on (LED though).

We have a baseline usage through the night of betweemn 650 - 850w though, and even with the yard security lights on all night I can only account for about half of it!

I know what you mean. That's a high baseline without being able to account for it.
Hard to diagnose with lots of smaller draws.

I'd probably start by turning fuses off at the consumer unit and looking at the IHD on live usage (if you had one).

Managed to get ours down to sub 100w that way. At one point I had left the garage 100w bulb on so when the garage fuse was flicked it unexpectedly dropped!

Last edited:
I know what you mean. That's a high baseline without being able to account for it.
Hard to diagnose with lots of smaller draws.

I'd probably start by turning fuses off at the consumer unit and looking at the IHD on live usage (if you had one).

Managed to get ours down to sub 100w that way. At one point I had left the garage 100w bulb on so when the garage fuse was flicked it unexpectedly dropped!

That's a good call thanks, we don't have an IHD and the Solar App doesn't seem to be "live" quickly enough to see immediate usage changes like that, so I'll look into getting one.

That's a good call thanks, we don't have an IHD and the Solar App doesn't seem to be "live" quickly enough to see immediate usage changes like that, so I'll look into getting one.

Is the only really useful thing I liked about it. That I could see live data and diagnose

I clearly use far too much energy compared to you! :D

This is why solar was so important to me.
we run solar too....but even before that our daily average was around 5.2kwhs, its down to 3.2kwhs now. I'm hoping in the spring/summer it will be even lower than that as more solar kicks in. We exported 61% of our solar production last month.

Jan 2023----Gas-----1137kWh----£56.29
Dec 2022----Elec----240kWh------£55

Total £111.29-£67 allowance=£44.29 paid.

2 bed semi

This is on a lowish fixed tariff, ends 2/9/23

God knows what the price will be then, plus no more government help.

we run solar too....but even before that our daily average was around 5.2kwhs, its down to 3.2kwhs now. I'm hoping in the spring/summer it will be even lower than that as more solar kicks in. We exported 61% of our solar production last month.

Yes we've lowered our usage but family of 4, a fair bit of tech, and wfh 2-3 days a week does clock it up! Batteries have been a godsend!

Jan 2023----Gas-----1137kWh----£56.29
Dec 2022----Elec----240kWh------£55

Total £111.29-£67 allowance=£44.29 paid.

2 bed semi

This is on a lowish fixed tariff, ends 2/9/23

God knows what the price will be then, plus no more government help.
current capped price is 33p...thats going up to approx 40p in april, then they reckon come july it will drop to around 29/30p........and stay around there for maybe a year or so.

Yes we've lowered our usage but family of 4, a fair bit of tech, and wfh 2-3 days a week does clock it up! Batteries have been a godsend!
i work from home fulltime and my disable partner is home fulltime....but we dont have kids, or gaming systems etc etc...we just have large screen TVs and Q boxes. If im watching the footy, partner is using ipad and when she watches films or stuff that i'm not into, i use my ipad...

we dont even own a PC....just my works laptop, that stays permanently in my home office

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom