Post your actual energy usage

i work from home fulltime and my disable partner is home fulltime....but we dont have kids, or gaming systems etc etc...we just have large screen TVs and Q boxes. If im watching the footy, partner is using ipad and when she watches films or stuff that i'm not into, i use my ipad...

we dont even own a PC....just my works laptop, that stays permanently in my home office

Well a large home and kids does clock up energy.

We have several laptops (work and personal), I have a reasonably powerful PC as I use it for home but also for work, multiple monitors, TVs, fridge and chest freezer, access points, NAS boxes, POE Switches, home automation/assistant tech, smart switches, phone charges, and other devices such as VOIP box / voip phones. Then of course we have the dishwasher and washing machine and dehumidifier that's used as and when.

The oven and hobs are also energy intensive, keeping under 10kw in a day is a challenge when there's no solar. 15+ kw are days when we have poor solar - we love to cook, so the hob and oven gets used a lot! :)

3 Bed Semi. Heating on at 20c during day and 18c overnight. Well insulated. Built circa 2005. 2 adult occupants who work from home the majority of the time. Old vented hot water storage tank.

December 2022
Gas - 1038 kWh
Elec - 176 kWh

January 2023
Gas - 1004 kWh
Elec - 193 kWh

Estimated annual usage is:

Gas - 6536 kWh
Elec - 1974 kWh

Last edited:
3 Bed Semi. Heating on at 20c during day and 18c overnight. Well insulated. Built circa 2005. 2 adult occupants who work from home the majority of the time. Old vented hot water storage tank.

December 2022
Gas - 1038 kWh
Elec - 176 kWh

January 2023
Gas - 1004 kWh
Elec - 193 kWh

Estimated annual usage is:

Gas - 6536 kWh
Elec - 1974 kWh
We used 1500kwh and that's off overnight and 20c on rations during the day.

Just shows what proper insulation means.

Not sure how you manage 176kwh both WFH.
Hit 330 this month. A record high! Record high for gas too!

Last edited:
Makes me wonder about future of housing this.
If our house is only 20 years old and uses 2x gas for less benefit how undesirable old houses are going to get.

Knowing what I know now I would be very hesitant going for an older house. Even if it is more attractive.

Must be even worse for ghetto old houses. Where the house is old, but undesirable. These must be efficiency nightmares.
Keep the poor poor I guess.

Maybe when our energy fix ends is the time to move. Because after that, with our usage, it's going to be expensive to get the house 'efficient'

Last edited:
My results
Electric = 4565
Gas = 7830

Electric = 3054
Gas = 5400

However to note from November usage significantly reduced and my predicted for this year is

Electric = 1140
Gas = 2200

I left the heating on 18c for January to see what worst case heating would be for it to maintain temp and that used 480kWh for the month. Compared to December where I only put it on when it got particularly cold was 380kWh, November no heating was 134kWh.

Not too bad. Added a dehumidifier this month and have needed a fair bit of electric heating in my gym. Have also done a lot of gaming. Heating could have been on a bit more, but it’s been liveable. Nearly 2/3 less gas used than last January.

Last edited:

Laptops and monitors don't use much energy. We're also pretty switched on (no pun intended) when it comes to energy usage. Don't have a dishwasher or a tumble dryer. We don't do roast dinners so don't use the electric oven much. Hobs are gas. All lights are LED. We'd use much less gas if it was up to me, but the other half can't cope in anything less than 20c.

Only energy consumers are our small oven, the washing machine, dehumidifer and my gaming PC every now and again. Even the TV doesn't use much power.

When everything is off or on standby in the house we only consume 80-120 watts. That's our base load including a router, modem and a NAS. Pops up a bit when the fridge kicks in.

We had A/C installed in August this year and that used a fair bit of power, but it's less than you think.

Laptops and monitors don't use much energy. We're also pretty switched on (no pun intended) when it comes to energy usage. Don't have a dishwasher or a tumble dryer. We don't do roast dinners so don't use the electric oven much. Hobs are gas. All lights are LED. We'd use much less gas if it was up to me, but the other half can't cope in anything less than 20c.

Only energy consumers are our small oven, the washing machine, dehumidifer and my gaming PC every now and again. Even the TV doesn't use much power.

When everything is off or on standby in the house we only consume 80-120 watts. That's our base load including a router, modem and a NAS. Pops up a bit when the fridge kicks in.

We had A/C installed in August this year and that used a fair bit of power, but it's less than you think.

Similar here. All I can think is its the plasma TV.

For electricity we have same. 2 laptops, 2 monitors.

Not sure what else could be using so much really!

estimated annual usage for a 2 bed flat built early 2000's, just me living here

3440kWh Electricity
4610kWh Gas

Gas is down to having the heating set 'too high' and prob the old boiler that is also from early 2000's when the flat was built...

Electricity must be a combo of Plasma TV, leaving the oven on too long (preheating..taking ages to decide what to eat!) and 2 showers a day

Before we had solar we'd easily go over 500kWh for electric alone so that doesn't seem too bad. Despite the size of our home and amount of tech and stuff we use.

I've been much more efficient this Jan compared to last

2022 / 2023
Grid Usage: 1.18MWh / .88MWh
Solar Generation: .15MWh / .18MWh

The bill just arrived so I can split this down now.

791.9 off peak
98.2 peak
890.2 total

£111.90 total

£67 from the Gov. £59 in the saving session pot (still another big pay day to be calculated) and approx £45 from my FIT.

So i'm potentially £100 up this month. Good times. :)

Moved in at the end of November and Hugo is grabbing the data from our old Smets1 meters.

Dec:
Gas - 5900kWh
Elec - 381kWh

Jan:
Gas - 5300kWh
Elec - 353kWh

Better get that insulation put in under the suspended gnd floor.

I have a thermal camera from my phone so have identified some other areas to improve. Unfortunately 1900 solid external walls are what they are.......

Date range: 27/12/2022 - 26/01/2023
Days: 31
Prices include SC

Gas - £88 - 764kWh
Electricity - £69 - 431kWh*
*360 off-peak, 70 on-peak via Octopus Go [£0.075 off-peak, £0.40 on-peak]

Total: £157 (£90 less Gov £67).

Another month has gone by may as well update this some more :)

Date range: 27/01/2022 - 26/02/2023
Days: 31
Prices include SC

Gas - £49.50 - 560 kWh
Electricity - £70.80 - 434 kWh*
*357 off-peak, 77 on-peak via Octopus Go [£0.075 off-peak, £0.40 on-peak]

Total: £120.30 (£53.30 less Gov £67).

Nov 21-Nov22...
12,181kW electric
1,656 m3 Gas
Which is
18,816kW according to online calculator
:eek::eek::eek::eek::mad::o
2 bed bungalow, old biddy likes it warm, heating at 22°. But radiators are a one pipe system and its ******* useless.

I have an electric car.

71clgQW.jpg Just for reference at how utterly useless my central heating is... I bought a temperature data logger off amazon to find out..
(Hope this phone screen grab is readable)

Heating comes on circa 5:00am at 15°.
4.5 hrs later and it has only managed to get the house up to 17.6° before the heating switches off at 9:30am

Back
Top Bottom