Post Your Home Cine & HiFi Kit...

Man of Honour
for the many of you who have hidden cables, is there a guide somewhere on how to do it?
or is it literally cutting and replacing whole sheets of plasterboard?
youtube just seems fall of American ones which just cut a hole in the bottom and at the top, which is fine if you have a cabinet, but if no cabinet you still see a big clump of cables enter at the bottom of the wall.
It depends on where the plaster studs are.

Associate
I've just ordered a Sonos Playbase and Sub for the living room. I'll use my two spare Play 1's as surrounds. My TV passes 5.1 via optical so I won't lose out on 5.1. It means however that my two amps and gigantic Monitor Audio Gold 5.1 setup is going. I'll be sad to see them go, however they take up a lot of space, having 267 remotes is a pain in the arse and unfortunately my amps are not cut out to drive £7k speakers. While I may notice a diference, I don't think it's going to be massive as I simply don't use the setup anywhere near its potential. I've read a lot of people doing the same to downsize and have no regrets.

Setup would go from the following:
Sky Q
Nvidia shield
Amazon fire TV
PS4
Sonos Connect
5.1 amp
Hifi amp
OLED TV

To the following:
Sky Q
PS4
Apple TV
OLED TV
Sonos 5.1

Fewer remotes, fewer inputs to worry about and probably space for an XBOne. Oh, around £3.5k+ in my bank account. Oh, fewer cables too!

Any reason for the Nvidia Shield going? I’m tempted to go from playbar and sub to 5.1 but I am concerned the shield and Sonos won’t be able to play all sounds as it only supports Dolby digital? Is that where an amp would help as I’ve never used one. Would appreciate any feedback on her or private message if you get a chance :) I watch a lot of 4K movies on my plex server using a Samsung ks8000 tv

Man of Honour
Any reason for the Nvidia Shield going? I’m tempted to go from playbar and sub to 5.1 but I am concerned the shield and Sonos won’t be able to play all sounds as it only supports Dolby digital? Is that where an amp would help as I’ve never used one. Would appreciate any feedback on her or private message if you get a chance :) I watch a lot of 4K movies on my plex server using a Samsung ks8000 tv

I sent the Sonos stuff back and have kept hold of the Shield.

Soldato
tnXeSWB.jpg

I've been on a 'de-digitalising' and general decluttering of the apartment recently...that and the old Thorens turntable (not one of the good ones) I was using packed up again, so I ended up replacing most of my kit. I don't really watch game or watch TV much anymore, so the B&W M1 satellites and Onkyo multi-channel amp have got the boot (might set them up on the PC if I can find room in the study).

I have a free-roaming house rabbit too, so having a completely cable-free setup was important, I had ugly bits of wire mesh pen protecting the cables, now all the cabling is tucked safely behind and under the unit.

Got a Rega Planar 1 for the vinyl, Onkyo A9010 amp, and managed to find a nice pair of original Quad 11L's on the bay. I had some 11Ls about 15 years ago but sold them when I went multi-channel, always regretted selling them. My Arcam CD62 is still going strong.

*the pictures and TV are straight btw, it's my crappy phone distorting them :p

Soldato
TV unit was a custom build from an online place here in Germany. It's just veneer, but you can't really tell until you get right up to it.

I thought I might need to keep the B&W sub with the Quad's, but with enough space to breathe behind they fill our apartment plenty. I could always stuff the sub into the cabinet at some point without spoiling the clean look :)

Soldato
cyM7zS
IMG_20180506_114332.jpg

LG 55" C7
Marantz NR1607 Amp
PS4 Pro
Tivo V6
QAccoustics Speakers
BK Gemini Sub
Sonos/Google
Tado on the right side.

Soldato
Shocking, all that and no harmony remote :eek:

I thought about it... Even ordered one but cancelled as no need for it.

I can turn the TV on and off using the Chromecast and I very rarely watch TV. Mostly movies using Plex through CC. Everything is linked via HDMI-SEC so they come on and go off together.

I just control everything using Google home as I have tado heating and all lights are hue in the House.

Soldato
I thought about it... Even ordered one but cancelled as no need for it.

I can turn the TV on and off using the Chromecast and I very rarely watch TV. Mostly movies using Plex through CC. Everything is linked via HDMI-SEC so they come on and go off together.

I just control everything using Google home as I have tado heating and all lights are hue in the House.

One can only dream...

Soldato
Lovely clean, modern looking setup!

I’m looking forward to finally getting all my kit into my media cupboard and having harmony and Alexa control everything. Wall mourning will be a godsend with little hands wanting to maul everything!

Soldato
Enjoy :)
(Click on image for bigger size)

As i said...the house is fully automated.
- Hue lights everywhere and heating and hot water is controlled by Tado.
- Hue and Tado capabilities extended using IFTT which adds to the automated scheduled and random experience.
- Hue motion sensors in all of the rooms (excluding bedrooms) which turn lights on/off.
- In the bedrooms I have Hue light switches which we keep near the beds.
- TV and AV gear controlled using HDMI-SEC using Google Home which is the hub for automation.
- Sonos ONE speakers in each room (waiting for Google Home intergration!!!!).
- Google Home Minis in each room.

AV Gear:
LG 55" C7
Marantz NR1607 Amp
PS4 Pro
Tivo V6
Q Acoustics i7000 Speakers
BK Gemini Sub

Goolge Chromecast (Gen2)

The whole house has this minimilistic white look to it with touches of grey and black to break it up and plants add a little colour.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom