Post Your Home Cine & HiFi Kit...

Caporegime
Soldato
I don't know if this analogy would be comparable but the powerstation thingy seems more rational to me.

Think of a Brita water filter jug as your powerstation. You want the best tasting glass of water as your output. The argument is that your water will only be as good as whatever comes out of the tap. Fair enough - except that's what the Britta filter jug is for. No matter where you fill your jug up from what you get out the other side is beautiful, pure and consistent.

Caporegime
I don't know if this analogy would be comparable but the powerstation thingy seems more rational to me.

Think of a Brita water filter jug as your powerstation. You want the best tasting glass of water as your output. The argument is that your water will only be as good as whatever comes out of the tap. Fair enough - except that's what the Britta filter jug is for. No matter where you fill your jug up from what you get out the other side is beautiful, pure and consistent.

Or a UPS, it works if you unplug it, meaning the electricity that is generated from it is from a battery, not the national grid, meaning all that supposed noise is gone. It has been filtered, recycled etc.

Sure it's not as pretty but it's also 1/10th of the cost and you can use it for the whole entertainment centre and other things.

Soldato

I don't think the analogy would work, as the Brita filter uses a chemical process to filter out crap and make water taste a little better

Edit: unless you're comparing to a filter for electricity? While it may make a difference to the waveform, I guess it's hard to know if it actually makes a difference to the sound

Soldato

Except unlike water filled with different sorts of minerals here we are talking electrons. Audiofools are typically completely ignorant of the physics behind the gear that they use, so of course they're completely fooled by marketing.

Engineers are generally not, because they look at the pure data and know what is crap or not. Trust the data, not your ears.

Permabanned
Or a UPS, it works if you unplug it, meaning the electricity that is generated from it is from a battery, not the national grid, meaning all that supposed noise is gone. It has been filtered, recycled etc.

Sure it's not as pretty but it's also 1/10th of the cost and you can use it for the whole entertainment centre and other things.
UPS is stable, but the ones that cost much less than a proper power cleaner do not create clean power that would benefit audio equipment

Permabanned

That’s more like it

Permabanned
I don't think the analogy would work, as the Brita filter uses a chemical process to filter out crap and make water taste a little better

Edit: unless you're comparing to a filter for electricity? While it may make a difference to the waveform, I guess it's hard to know if it actually makes a difference to the sound
It smooths the waveform yes, something that is inconsistent from the national grid and picks up noise from other sources even in same building.

I’m not sold it will make a noticeable dofference for me, but after I could tell the difference in the cables, I’m curious to try it out.

You’ll either see a new box added to my kit or not ;)

Caporegime
UPS is stable, but the ones that cost much less than a proper power cleaner do not create clean power that would benefit audio equipment

By clean power you mean noise free?

Except a UPS is a giant battery, and by definition, a battery is as noise free as you can get, you are basically talking about "new" born electricity since inside a battery is all chemicals, so when you use it, your electricity gets created right there and then.

Permabanned
Except unlike water filled with different sorts of minerals here we are talking electrons. Audiofools are typically completely ignorant of the physics behind the gear that they use, so of course they're completely fooled by marketing.

Engineers are generally not, because they look at the pure data and know what is crap or not. Trust the data, not your ears.
Audio enjoyment is not pure data, for most people at least.

Perhaps you forget that electrons do not follow Newtonian billiard ball physics.

You’re talking to an Astrophysicist who has worked as an engineer most of his life ;)

Even if we go pure data, it is measurable how fluctuations in input waveform will have a direct effect on output waveform.

The question is, will such subtle differences be perceptible to the listener?

Soldato
It smooths the waveform yes, something that is inconsistent from the national grid and picks up noise from other sources even in same building.

I’m not sold it will make a noticeable dofference for me, but after I could tell the difference in the cables, I’m curious to try it out.

You’ll either see a new box added to my kit or not ;)

What are you currently running at home(s)?

Caporegime

Lets assume, for the sake of argument, that there actually is some small difference made by these magical cables and special power supplies....

We can extend your analogy further and contemplate sticking all this equipment in a room with hard floors, lots of glass etc...

Our analogy now is that you've used your Britta filter jug and you've poured your water out into a dirty glass with some mould etc... so your water is going to taste worse in the end than someone without a Britta filter who simply used a clean glass.

Soldato
Audio enjoyment is not pure data, for most people at least.

Perhaps you forget that electrons do not follow Newtonian billiard ball physics.

You’re talking to an Astrophysicist who has worked as an engineer most of his life ;)

Even if we go pure data, it is measurable how fluctuations in input waveform will have a direct effect on output waveform.

The question is, will such subtle differences be perceptible to the listener?

Yes, the data shows that difference exists - on paper. So where do they go next? Simple enough: you check to see if these differences are human perceptible based on the average ability of human hearing gathered over decades. What have we found? Yeah... they're totally undetectable. The placebo effect that makes you honestly believe you're hearing the difference is what is doing it, not anything in reality.

Of course, every single audiophile claims to have better hearing than the average person by a long shot, just like how everyone on the internet is above 6ft.

Back
Top Bottom