Post Your Home Cine & HiFi Kit...

Don
Associate
The cable wasn’t quite that much.

I'm all for if you've got the money, spend it. But at what point is it basically being taken for a ride?! It's eventually just becomes like buying white t-shirts for hundreds of pounds because a salesman (or saleswoman) has the gift of the gab.

That being said, if you want to me send me your offcuts I'd be cool with that.

Soldato
I wasn't disputing that you've attempted to run a blind test - I'm just pointing out that if you've got a result from an experiment that is counter to the results found when these things have been run multiple times previously in various controlled tests then I'd not jump to the conclusion that you've suddenly discovered something new but rather I'd be skeptical of the test you tried to run.

If you have indeed discovered a difference that can be replicated in further tests then that cable manufacturer would likely be chuffed to bits and various audio engineers, academics etc.. who have poo posed the claims of the hi fi industry will have to change their position on these expensive cables.

Probably just a placebo effect.

Soldato
That is rather suspicious - the conclusion I'd take is that there was something up with your testing rather than you somehow discovering a difference that has failed to appear in various controlled double blind tests.

I mean a few years ago, if you were really confident, you might have been able to add an extra $1 million to your crypto fortune by demonstrating this:

https://gizmodo.com/311034/updated-...-challenge-do-7250-cables-sound-better-or-not

End of the day it's his own money to spend on whatever products he likes, that's what it comes down to really.

Caporegime
Probably just a placebo effect.

Well there might have been an issue with the test. Generally ABX testing is the way to go AFAIK, with a single blind test people will convince themselves of a difference regardless. There are possible reasons to genuinely hear a difference between cables, not for "good" reasons though:

For the sake of keeping the reply short as I don't want to derail here beyond having made a comment about speaker wires and highlighting where there can be differences, I'll leave it as the link below and a snippet from that article/90s style web page

http://www.roger-russell.com/wire/wire.htm#differences
When there is an audible difference in speaker wire due to wire capacitance, it can be interpreted as an improvement when one wire appears to have more clarity but is actually altering the sound and departing from accuracy. Perhaps this change in sound then paves the way to sell more wire. Further, perhaps the wire companies already know this and what will sell. If the speaker wire companies had not introduced wire having high capacitance, either out of ignorance or by intention, then there would have been no controversy like this and ordinary low resistance wire, which incidentally has very low capacitance, would have remained king from the beginning.

Soldato
He just bought a £6.4 million London apartment I believe, £4000 a metre speaker cable is buttons to him..

No I know that - a fantastic success story. It was more my surprise you could even pay thousands for a metre of silver plated copper. I didn't realise high end cables went quite that high.

Soldato
No I know that - a fantastic success story. It was more my surprise you could even pay thousands for a metre of silver plated copper. I didn't realise high end cables went quite that high.

You can pay a lot of money for even the most simple items - there's a market for everything :)

I'm usually of the opinion that if it's your money, you can do what you want with it, but 4K a metre is expensive. What you've got to ask yourself, is do you think B&W use the same silver plated copper cable on the inside of their speakers? The answer is almost definitely not; and there in lies the problem. What's the benefit of running such expensive cable if the cable inside the housing itself isn't the same "quality"?

It's the same reason they don't bi-amp; their little metal connector is deemed "good enough: for all their speakers, and this is coming from the manufacturer.

The MOST important thing when it comes to sound, however, is buy what sounds better to YOU.

If, indeed, Crinkle preferred the sound of the pricey cable, and he has the money, they it's inherently better value, regardless of price. It's just important to make sure it was the cable making the difference :)

Last edited:
Caporegime
Even if I were a trillionaire I wouldn't waste my money, assuming I cared about my family's enduring wealth.

The mass population would define spending in excess of 1k on a gaming PC as "waste", all a matter of perspective and what you value / get pleasure out.

Spending 4k pm on a cable if you have 20million in the bank is the same as someone with 20k in the bank spending £4 pm.

Back
Top Bottom