Power Tools & General Tools Recommendations & Advice

Got a makita xgt recip saw and 2*2.5ah batteries arriving tomorrow.

I already own a bunch of dewalt stuff but I have wanted to move back to makita for a while now and the deal I got on this recip saw was too good to pass up.

Next in like is some makita garden attachments. Strimmer etc.

Just been using my 40v makita strimmer and I'm very impressed!

I think ideally a 5ah battery would make the runtime perfect but the 2.5ah ones I've got are easily swapped.

Great bit of kit. Wouldn't mind the pole saw etc but it's becoming an expensive venture.

Just been using my 40v makita strimmer and I'm very impressed!

I think ideally a 5ah battery would make the runtime perfect but the 2.5ah ones I've got are easily swapped.

Great bit of kit. Wouldn't mind the pole saw etc but it's becoming an expensive venture.

I'd love some 40V tools but I'm too committed to the 18V system, it would cost a fortune to transition! I just consider the 18Vx2 version instead.

Love makita tools. Ive yet to get myself a battery circular saw but it's my next purchase.

Yep, me too. I think I may have a problem - I don't have enough :D. This is what I did recently to organise them:

embed

I screwed these mounts to the shelves to keep the tools from falling off:

embed

It means each tool has their place and I can quickly slide them out when I need them.

I'd love some 40V tools but I'm too committed to the 18V system, it would cost a fortune to transition! I just consider the 18Vx2 version instead.

Yep, me too. I think I may have a problem - I don't have enough :D. This is what I did recently to organise them:

embed

I screwed these mounts to the shelves to keep the tools from falling off:

embed

It means each tool has their place and I can quickly slide them out when I need them.

Yeah mate the 40v stuff is really expensive but I spotted a misprice (I think) on a JR001GD203 recip saw kit (2x2.5ah) for £233 which seemed a good entry to the system

Yeah mate the 40v stuff is really expensive but I spotted a misprice (I think) on a JR001GD203 recip saw kit (2x2.5ah) for £233 which seemed a good entry to the system

That's an awesome price if honoured! I have an old 240V Erbauber recip saw that I hardly use.

Talk to me about cordless strimmers.

Currently I have a handful of Bosch Green stuff (Strimmer, Drill, Circular Saw and Torch) and, TBH, the batteries are crap. I put them on to charge and the charger light goes solid after 30 mins telling me they are fully charged but I doubt it can seriously be that fast? I have tried to different chargers and 3 different batteries.

TBH, I am probably going to look at changing eco-system while I don't have a large range to swap over.... I appreciate its a minefield and everyone settles into different camps so if it helps:

Occasional DIYer
I dont mind paying a little more as I appreciate quality

Apart from that, I have no affiliation but would prefer a brand that has a large range of tools that can all use the same batteries as well.

Currently I have a handful of Bosch Green stuff (Strimmer, Drill, Circular Saw and Torch) and, TBH, the batteries are crap. I put them on to charge and the charger light goes solid after 30 mins telling me they are fully charged but I doubt it can seriously be that fast? I have tried to different chargers and 3 different batteries.

TBH, I am probably going to look at changing eco-system while I don't have a large range to swap over.... I appreciate its a minefield and everyone settles into different camps so if it helps:

Occasional DIYer

Apart from that, I have no affiliation but would prefer a brand that has a large range of tools that can all use the same batteries as well.
I’m deep into Makita as they used to offer the most variety off tools. Now most of the others have caught up but the Makita garden stuff is very good. Milwaukee fuel looks pretty good. For strummers I found that the Oregon 5 lobed strummer line is a bit more durable than others. For petrol I have some stihl stuff ands it’s very good

Need it for Makita sander so that's perfect, will wait for vouchers to appear
Coming up to a bank holiday so I would expect one in the next couple of weeks

Edit: I would also recommend the prefilter unit for it if it’s going to be very fine dust as it helps the longevity of the filter underneath. It’s basically a bag and bit of foam that sits around the filter cartridge

Last edited:
Happy with my bottom of the Stihl range cordless strimmer. Does about 20-30 minutes of strimming on a charge which is enough for my garden. It's got an integrated battery

Occasional DIYer

Bought a twin 18v makita strimmer and it's an absolute beast. Their 18v ecosystem is really decent also I think and I've got quite a few of their tools now (chainsaw, lawnmower, drill, circular saw). The stimmer is night and day compared to the wired one I had before which constantly jammed up. No such issues with this and it handles my nightmare of a garden really well.

I've just purchased my second lot of shelving for the garage, using the big dug shelving units. Surprising how much we can fit on them really the only thing i struggle with for storage is things like screws / bolts. I've started purchasing these: Dewalt DWST1-70706 although they are a tadge pricey. What i've started to do is put my tool with a drawer underneath with relevant bits. So for example i have my dewalt SDS drill with a set of drawers underneath with SDS bits, normal drill bits and wall plugs. Last time i used my sds (yesterday) it was easy as its grab the top handle and all i need is with it.
I'm likely to do the same with the other dewalt stuff i have, just makes life easier.

I've just purchased my second lot of shelving for the garage, using the big dug shelving units. Surprising how much we can fit on them really the only thing i struggle with for storage is things like screws / bolts. I've started purchasing these: Dewalt DWST1-70706 although they are a tadge pricey. What i've started to do is put my tool with a drawer underneath with relevant bits. So for example i have my dewalt SDS drill with a set of drawers underneath with SDS bits, normal drill bits and wall plugs. Last time i used my sds (yesterday) it was easy as its grab the top handle and all i need is with it.
I'm likely to do the same with the other dewalt stuff i have, just makes life easier.
my issue with all of those type of solutions (apart from the price) is that they waste 50%ish of the depth of the shelving. Good for a grab and go, but not great for longer storage. So I made my own drawer units from left over plywood - basically a bodged version of these

Have you fallen down the shadowfoam, pit yet if you are using drawer storage units?
No, as i'd mostly end up with all the wrong things in the nicely cut spaces..I've used some for packing my 12v bosch drill, impact & router into a single Bosch case, but that's all.

So far.

Back
Top Bottom