Power Tools & General Tools Recommendations & Advice

my issue with all of those type of solutions (apart from the price) is that they waste 50%ish of the depth of the shelving. Good for a grab and go, but not great for longer storage. So I made my own drawer units from left over plywood - basically a bodged version of these
This is a great video! Thanks for sharing.

my issue with all of those type of solutions (apart from the price) is that they waste 50%ish of the depth of the shelving. Good for a grab and go, but not great for longer storage. So I made my own drawer units from left over plywood - basically a bodged version of these
Decent video :) Correct in that they won't use the full depth, the shelves are 60cm back to front and at a guess i'd say the dewalt boxes are 20cm or so. The drawers are very smooth which i like and the compartments are ok. I'll likely put things like my angle grinder behind them in it's box as that only get used every couple of years if that.

After 15 years my old screwfix SDS finally gave up. That beast went through some big old jobs.

Was surprised to see so many battery powered SDS drills now. Are folks really getting on with this over full powered wired units?

Last edited:
After 15 years my old screwfix SDS finally gave up. That beast went through some big old jobs.

Was surprised to see so many battery powered SDS drills now. Are folks really getting on with this over full powered wired units?
A lot of sites don't allow mains stuff is what I understood. Sds is still a powered tool to me.

240v has been banned from sites for decades, 110v you can use.

Battery powered stuff is more powerful though as odd as that sounds, you just munch through the batteries! A lot of them double up the batteries in order to get the power required for the bigger tools.

Really depends on what you want to do and how much £££ :).

General mid/small hole drilling in brick/concrete, tile removal etc will be fine with a low range & low cost model - e.g. Screwfix have a bottom range Bosch 18v SDS bare at £99, £199 with 4ah & charger 2j impact. Bosch have a decent rep for sds and excellent parts availability.

Once you want 3j or higher the cordless are expensive e.g. £600 for a Milwaukee 5j with 2x5AH - https://www.sgs-engineering.com/mil...drill-kit-2x-5-5ah-batteries-charger-and-case . Although IIRC the corded Bosch heavyweight hitters are £400+

Bargain bucket Titan corded will be c£50-100 from small to big boy :)

i have a dewalt cordless sds, usually have a 5ah battery in it and it can do most jobs from a diy point of view.
I've used it for bring up a couple of inches of concrete on a 1.5meter by 4 meter stretch and it managed ok. Think i paid around 250 a couple of years back with case only.

Battery tools are very powerful these days, the gap is basically zero for standard tools.

Short of dealing with dense reinforced concrete, I’m not sure you’d have any problems with a decent battery SDS over a mains one. You’ll be fine for anything you’d need to do to a house.

They are also safer and easier to use due to the lack of cable.

Battery tools are very powerful these days, the gap is basically zero for standard tools.

Short of dealing with dense reinforced concrete, I’m not sure you’d have any problems with a decent battery SDS over a mains one. You’ll be fine for anything you’d need to do to a house.

They are also safer and easier to use due to the lack of cable.
When I was tempted by the Milwaukee SDS, it did have significantly less joules than the Makita powered one. This was 4 or 5 year ago, tho.

Last edited:
I'd really like to test a battery SDS drill to see if it can compete with it's 240V equivalent :).

I was putting up a few shelves and some racking in the garage recently which meant a lot of drilling. My 18V combi hammer action with a masonry bit could do it but it just took too long for the first few holes, this supposedly quick job was going to take ages. So I got the 240V SDS big boy out and it drilled the walls like they were cheese, effortlessly quicker.

I'd love a battery SDS drill as it would be more convenient and portable, but as yet I'm unconvinced so I'll be keeping the 240V SDS, for at the moment at least ;).

embed

I'd really like to test a battery SDS drill to see if it can compete with it's 240V equivalent :).

I was putting up a few shelves and some racking in the garage recently which meant a lot of drilling. My 18V combi hammer action with a masonry bit could do it but it just took too long for the first few holes, this supposedly quick job was going to take ages. So I got the 240V SDS big boy out and it drilled the walls like they were cheese, effortlessly quicker.

I'd love a battery SDS drill as it would be more convenient and portable, but as yet I'm unconvinced so I'll be keeping the 240V SDS, for at the moment at least ;).

embed
I split my SDS into a lightweight 2j for standard hole drilling and a cheapo monster for smashing stuff. Pretty sure your 240v is probably c2.5J, not sure what is equivalent in Makita 18v world

I've got a makita sds and it's pretty good for chiselling tiles/knocking off blown plaster (it's this one). It's nice and easy to hold too

When it comes to proper big "blowing holes in concrete" type jobs I use my corded titan drill. It's significantly stronger for those jobs (and only occasionally needed!) it is quite uncomfortable to use as its so damn big.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure I've got this which is mid range in dewalt world:

As I said, they have smaller and bigger options if you need it. This 13j model is an absolute unit of a cordless SDS:

Last edited:
I split my SDS into a lightweight 2j for standard hole drilling and a cheapo monster for smashing stuff. Pretty sure your 240v is probably c2.5J, not sure what is equivalent in Makita 18v world

Just looked it up and you are so close, it's 2.4J :). It seems that single battery versions max out at 2.0J like what Buffman posted and to get higher require the twin battery versions. The impact energy isn't even mentioned for my combi, probably less than 1.0J equivalent.

They're nothing compared to that Dewalt 13J monster that born2sk8 mentions!

Just looked it up and you are so close, it's 2.4J :). It seems that single battery versions max out at 2.0J like what Buffman posted and to get higher require the twin battery versions. The impact energy isn't even mentioned for my combi, probably less than 1.0J equivalent.

They're nothing compared to that Dewalt 13J monster that born2sk8 mentions!
My 'normal' hole drilling 18v SDS is 2J. My cheapo corded is c8J and nearly weighs that :)

If SDS’ing for longer periods then mains is notably lighter than the equivalent spec battery version. Big 18v+ batteries can start to get heavy.

I’ve a several hundred pound Milwaukee 18v SDS, and the little M12 SDS but still also use an £80 Bosch mains model at times over the 18v due to it being notably lighter, only when chiselling, never use the mains for regular drilling.

Back
Top Bottom