Power Tools & General Tools Recommendations & Advice

Associate
I have the non brushless version of that dewalt kit (DCF885 impact and DCD785 combi) and it's brilliant. I upgraded to a 2ah and a 4ah battery (from 2x 1.5ah ones). While there is nothing wrong with the smaller than 2ah batteries (1.5 and 1.3ah), you don't get the charge indicator on them so can't easily tell how charged they are. That said if you are upgrading from old ni-cad tools, even if the only drill a few holes straight from the box you will still be amazed as old ni-cad cordless generally needs a charge before doing anything!

Dave

Soldato
I got fed up with a crappy wired power drill I was trying to use for everything so decided to grab a few DeWalt power tools after borrowing a drill off the neighbour. Wish I'd done it a while ago! Makes working on cars a lot quicker instead of spending 5 minutes on a bolt it takes 5 seconds.

After much deliberating I went for 899HN (Impact Wrench), 796 (Combi Drill), DCL040 (Light) & a couple of 5Ah batteries. The light is a bit flimsy/cheap feeling but it does the job!

The only downside to such a powerful impact wrench is the weight :eek: I definitely couldn't be holding that for a long period of time.

Edit: Correction :)

Last edited:
Associate
I did wonder, as generally impact drivers are nice and light and easy to handle, I just thought you had puny arms or something at first!

Dave

Soldato
I'm in need of a new combi drill, and am looking at this: http://www.screwfix.com/p/makita-dhp453sfew-18v-3-0ah-li-ion-lxt-cordless-combi-drill/2290j.

Anyone got one? I'm drawn to the two batteries, and as its LXT would work with my sabre/circular saw as well. Looks good value to me, but I've never bought a white makita tool and the paranoid in me wonders if they are different somehow.

Just a different colour. I'm looking at this drill too. The 453 is a DIY spec drill, but I'm sure it'll do most people (me included). Homebase have a higher spec drill with 2x 3ah batteries and a case for £175 if you have a higher budget.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Whilst I do use my drill an awful lot I'm not trade so think its probably fine for my uses. I actually went with the £229 drill/impact driver set anyway.

Soldato
Saw this.... Anyone got one and can comment on how good it is?
It looks to be a good price, but the drill you get in the kit is Dewalts DIY offering. You can always tell the models that are heavier duty as they usually have a metal collar/gearbox housing. It'll still be good enough for heavy DIY use around the house, but its got a lower drill speed and torque and wont stand up to quite as much abuse as their more expensive drills.

Soldato
Dad bought himself a Dewalt twin pack ( http://www.screwfix.com/p/dewalt-dc...ion-combi-drill-impact-driver-twin-pack/9801t )from Screwfix and is after some impact bits.

I use 50mm impact bits with my Makita driver, as I found the 25mm bits don't seem to fit/lock properly and just feel out. I've tried the 50mm impact bits in Dads driver and they fit well, locking in with a push and requiring the collar to be pulled out to remove. I tried a freebie 25mm screwdriver bit I had lying around and this didn't seem to lock in the same way the 50mm does and feel like they are just held in magnetically? This is better than my makita, but still not ideal IMO.

See here for the notch I'm on about (left hand side) - http://www.on-sitetools.co.uk/WebRo.../0F20/664C/8AB6/0A0C/05E9/2F98/4932352592.jpg

Can anyone confirm if this applies to all 25mm bits? Is it the design of the 25mm bit or the driver that means they don't lock?

The 50mm bits seem to have a notch, do I need to find 25mm bits that have this notch, or will all 25mm bits act in this way?

He's wanting to buy http://www.screwfix.com/p/dewalt-dt...-torsion-bit-box-pz-2-x-25mm-pack-of-25/2722f but this doesn't seem to have the notch either, so though they'll work as above, they won't be fitted properly as the tool is designed.

Thanks

Soldato
vBuMNCL.jpg

There should be small notches on the 25mm bits that are used for locking the bit into bit holder. My dewalt impact driver seems to hold the 25mm bits with these notches, but its not the same model as your dads.

Back
Top Bottom