US: Preacher - 2016

Associate
Not impressed so far, the only thing I enjoy is Cassidy, some of his lines are pretty good. Compared to the source material they have a lot of things wrong and it's very annoying. I see people saying they captured the comic but in my opinion they really didn't. If they don't do the Saint of Killers justice I'll be peed off, although it looks promising so far (only seen the bit at the camp fire and I liked the guys voice).

Associate
Watched this weeks and its starting to frustrate.

Im not one to get precious about book or comic adaptions because theyve changed a characters hair color etc, but this is a pretty substantial reimagining.

Theyve somehow managed to turn an absolute rollercoaster ride of a road movie into a small town American soap and unlike something like Fargo its not clever or interesting enough outside the main Genesys plot to pull it off.

Caporegime
But no doubt you'll be watching it every week just so you can come here and tell us how much you dislike it?

Its a discussion forum. He is allowed an opinion...

I reallydon't get why people feel threatened by negative opinions on Films and TV...

If you like it that's fine...Does his opinion cloud your own view of the show?

It shouldn't.

BTW this series is increasingly getting worse...

Shame as it started off well and had potential.

Associate
:) sorry

It is just an opinion as Easyrider has kindly pointed out. It could still really let loose at any moment. When i read it was going to be a Tv series i was delighted because theres way too much good stuff to cram into one film, so when we seem to have a Tv series with a slither of the source material very stretched out , im naturally disapointed and worried weve got Constantine rather than Fargo.

But getting the 1st series made might be the tough part and maybe if we all stick with it, it will get the budget and opportunity to go to the really crazy heights of the comic from S2 onwards , or maybe it willl all happen next week . Ill see it through all the same )

Soldato
I like this but know nothing about the comics, where its supposed to go or what the heck is going on most of the time but isn't it a little early to have the main character acting like a douche? And I like Dominic Cooper.

Caporegime
To be honest, nothing much has really happened in any of the episodes. Reading comments from people who know the source material, a lot seem to think the show is just really slow going.

I don't think I have watched a show this thin...

We have now had the flashback of his dads death over and over and over and over again....

We get it!

Suffice to say Preacher is failing to build on the goodwill it generated when the show first debuted. The anarchic energy and look has degraded over time to the point where the series resembles a fairly stilted human drama rather than a modern day western poking fun at Christian myth. Granted the high concept, Heaven and Hell showdowns, overblown gunfights and general insanity of the comics is a bit much to ask on a TV budget. However if Preacher is to continue it needs to get its groove back before the first series wraps up.

Last edited:
Associate
Nothing happened at all....:p

All I can say is you must be easily pleased! :p

That, I love the comic, I praised the show for getting the spirit of Preacher right in the first couple of episodes, but it's moving so aggravating slowly. It's really getting to the same point as the Walking Dead was at when I gave up watching it where I might as well wait until the series is finished and chop all but the first 5 and last 10 minutes off every episode.

Caporegime
That, I love the comic, I praised the show for getting the spirit of Preacher right in the first couple of episodes, but it's moving so aggravating slowly. It's really getting to the same point as the Walking Dead was at when I gave up watching it where I might as well wait until the series is finished and chop all but the first 5 and last 10 minutes off every episode.

Slowly to the point of being hugely annoying :mad::p

It's cack...

Associate
I'd like it to not be rushed as well, funnily enough there is a step between wasting 35 of your 42 minutes a week on filler that doesn't even serve as character developing and rushing it at breakneck speed that would work for this.

Back
Top Bottom