Premier League 2010/2011 Predictions

Don
You're in serious denial if you don't think City have a very realistic chance of making it into the CL. They already had an extremely strong squad full of very good, if not spectacular players and they're now adding some top players to the mix.

If they can bring in Balotelli and Milner they're going to be pushing for more than just a top 4 spot imo.

Soldato
1st - Chelsea
2nd - Man Utd
3rd - Man City
4th - Arsenal
------------
5th - Tottenham
6th - Aston Villa
------------
18th - Wolves
19th - WBA
20th - Blackpool

And for good measure;

Champions League
Real Madrid

FA Cup
Chelsea

Carling Cup
Man City

Man of Honour
Having a team of great players doesn't mean a lot if they can't play well together, that's how teams work

Yeah but there's a difference between teams that spend a lot, and teams that got berzerk in the transfer market. People said the same about Chelsea when Abromovich took over, it'll never work, all these new players will never gel, yadayadayada. If you spend a lot, you may or not be successful. If you spend a fortune, and have a modicum of patience, you WILL be successful (not necessarily winning the league, but definitely qualifying for the CL and being 'there or thereabouts' within a few years).

MC will improve year-on-year, last season they had a brand new manager and some new buys, now things are getting time to bed in, come 2011-12 season I think they will be a real force to be reckoned with.

As for Arsenal, the worry is that their injury record has been appalling of late, for the past couple of years they've been consistently decimated and whether that is just blind bad luck or something more fundamental remains to be seen.

Right now if you look at the side you'd have to worry what would happen if RvP or Vermaelen got injured, I mean seriously what genuine proven talent do they have to take their place? The new buys may come good but you'd have to say there is a risk there. Meanwhile injuries at MC aren't too much of a worry, Mancini is going for the Mourinho approach of 2 champions in every position.

Soldato
You could say the same though for Chelsea, Liverpool or Man Utd. If Drogba-Terry, Torres-Agger or Rooney-Vidic got injured they would all struggle too (Chelsea would probably feel it less but they're in the City category anyway). Vermaelen does seem to be resistant to injuries and RvP has to stay fit one season for the love of god. But your best players are your best players for a reason, they're hard to replace for anybody

Last edited:
Soldato
I think it's a bit too early to say. I reserve the right to edit this before 12:45 on 14th August. :p

I think that the most interesting thing this year will be the new 25 man squad rule. Who will suffer the most from it?

1st - Man Utd
2nd - Chelsea
3rd - Arsenal
4th - Man City
--------------
5th - Liverpool
6th - Everton

18th - WBA
19th - West Ham
20th - Blackpool

Champions League - Real Madrid
FA Cup - Chelsea
Carling Cup - Chelsea

Soldato
I don't see City setting worlds alight this season. Too many people are taking the stance of "Well they spent billions if they don't easily break the top four they've failed", but they still have to make a working squad with all that talent. Individual talent on paper won't garuntee success, don't need to remind all of you I'm sure! (This coming from a guy who's entire mothers - large - side of the family are City fans).

Associate
Purely because I hate buying your success with outside money, I'm going:

1st - Man Utd
2nd - Arsenal
3rd - Liverpool
4th - Spurs
5th - Chelsea
6th - Newcastle
7th - Citeh

18th - Wolves
19th - WBA
20th - Blackpool

This is borne out of hope not expectation. In reality we will probably see city and chelsea battle it out to be top of the heap - but I REALLY hope not!

Soldato
I don't see City setting worlds alight this season. Too many people are taking the stance of "Well they spent billions if they don't easily break the top four they've failed", but they still have to make a working squad with all that talent.

According to economist Stefan Szymanski (and backed up by a lot of data), 92% of a club's success is determined by how much it spends on wages. Man City's wage budget will soon be the highest in the country.

Man City might not win the league but a top 4 finish is almost guaranteed.

Soldato
1st - Liverpool
2nd - Chelsea
3rd - Arseanal (sp :p)
4th - Man City
------------
5th - Man United
6th - Spurs
------------
18th - Wolves
19th - WBA
20th - Blackpool

Champions League
Real Madrid

FA Cup
Aston Villa

Carling Cup
Who cares?

Man United have an awful awful squad. They won't be able to ride their luck this season, they'll really be off the pace.

Liverpool only have 1 competition to go for this season, Prem, Prem, Prem. Chelsea will also challenge of course. Just watch the difference of not having to play Champs league football for L'pool.

Blackpool to be the new Derby FC.

Associate
Man City will finish in the top 4 this season without doubt, their signings this season have been real class, we could really do with players like Yaya Touré and Boateng at Arsenal, and David Silva is a little gem of a player, it'll be interesting to see how well he copes with the physical side of the Premier League, but his talent is phenomenal.

That's about the only thing I'm certain of lol. I don't have a ******* clue about the rest.
I think perhaps it's Chelsea's to lose, but they've lost a few experienced members of their squad and not really replaced them. United have an aging squad, and haven't really bought any proven class players like City have (though Fernandez did impress me in flashes at the WC), but the thing is United under Fergie will never underperform, so they will be there or thereabouts.

As for my team, Arsenal, I've no idea. We badly need a goalkeeper and a couple more defensive minded players. Our squad is almost infamously fragile too, and I'm not certain we have the depth to challenge for the title when one of RVP's plasticine ligaments goes, or if Vermaelen/Arshavin/Fabregas have to spend time on the sidelines. I want to think we are progressing and can finish above United/City but I'm not full of optimism. Liverpool, well they can't do worse than last season, but I don't think they're a better side than the other 4 teams, and Spurs will perhaps be distracted by their first Champs League foray.

1. Chelsea
2. Man City/Man Utd
3. Man Utd/Man City
4. Arsenal
5. Liverpool
6. Spurs
7. Villa

18. Wolves
19. Wigan
20. Blackpool

FA Cup
Arsenal (I can think wishfully)

League Cup
Liverpool - Roy's a pragmatist, he'll realise this is the only trophy they're in with a chance at... hahah i'm only kidding 'pool fans. ;)

Champions League
Real Madrid - perhaps a long shot, but José is already wielding the axe ruthlessly at Madrid getting rid of aging fan favourites like Guti and Raul. The team ran Barca very very close in the league last season, that points total was worthy of winning any other domestic league you care to look at, and they are laden with talent. I don't know, maybe I'm getting ahead of myself, and he needs a season to completely mould the team in his image, but I think Real Madrid will finally be at the level they should have been at for years, now they are under Mourinho's stewardship. I will definitely be putting a few cheeky quid on them anyway.

Last edited:
Soldato
1st: Chelsea
2nd: Man U
3rd: Arsenal
4th: Man C

5th: Totenham
6th: Liverpool
7th: Everton

Carling: Chelsea

FA Cup: Man U

Champs. League: R. Madrid (ya'rly)

Associate
New season, same old Arsenal sceptics. :) What are people basing this on? We had a good crack at things last year and this was with goalkeepers costing us cheap points and half of the first 11 injured for the last few games (and lots of key injuries throughout the season). And I don't care what anyone says, no one else in the top 6 had the same level of injuries as Arsenal.

Things look short in the middle of defence but I'd be surprised if it stayed this way. With Fab now likely staying, Nasri looking great in pre-season and Wilshere really making the effort to claim a place, things are looking good. We will certainly be a lot more settled than Liverpool and Man City for example.

1. Chelsea
2. Arsenal
3. ManU
4. Man City

5. Spurs
6. Liverpool

Soldato
1st - Chelsea
2nd - Man Utd
3rd - Arsenal
4th - Man City
------------
5th - Spurs
6th - Liverpool
------------
18th - WBA
19th - Wigan
20th - Blackpool

Champions League
Barcelona

FA Cup
Man Utd

Carling Cup
Man City

Man of Honour
Ok lets see...I got the top 4 all correct and in the correct positions last season with my pre-season prediction on here, so lets give it a go for this year too, see if I can make it two in a row :)

I will go for,

1st Chelsea
2nd Man Utd
3rd Arsenal
4th Man City

5th Liverpool
6th Spurs

Relegated :

18th West Ham
19th West Brom
20th Blackpool

Associate
1 Chelsea
2 Man Utd
3 Arsenal
4 Man City
----------
5 Liverpool
6 Tottenham
----------
18 Wigan
19 West Brom
20 Blackpool

Champions League
Barcelona

FA Cup
Man Utd

Carling Cup
Man City

Soldato
1st Arsenal
2nd Chelsea
3rd Man City
4th Liverpool

5th Man Utd
6th Tottenham

18th - WBA
19th - Wolves
20th - Blackpool

Soldato
Good to see no one is going for a Newcastle relegation. Like it :) I really think we can finish top 10, no doubt it will be tough but considering the other teams in the premiership why can't we have a shot at top 10.

I'd like these predictions to be in haste, maybe have a sealed prediction come the 1st game of the season.

None of these...

1. Chelsea/Man Utd
2. Man Utd/Arsenal
3. Arsenal/Chelsea

Type predictions.. :) cheating

Back
Top Bottom