Premier League Fixtures - 16/17th August (Spoilers)

It's usually the case that the games that have been shown live earlier in the day aren't the featured games on MOTD.

Fair point, although not very fair on the majoriy of the fans who aren't able to see the game.

maybe the BBC have finally seen sense and just cause a top 4 team is playing doesnt make it a good game of football

Our game was decent today, better than the Spurs game for example. Plus I believe they generally show the bigger teams first not because it "must be a good game" but because it attracts the higher amount of viewers.

Fair point, although not very fair on the majoriy of the fans who aren't able to see the game.

Our game was decent today, better than the Spurs game for example. Plus I believe they generally show the bigger teams first not because it "must be a good game" but because it attracts the higher amount of viewers.

Surely you would leave the best till last then?

Although i agree that they most likely do it to attract more viewers this annoys me cause the bbc does not need to attract higher viewing figures as its not selling advertising and similar

Although i agree that they most likely do it to attract more viewers this annoys me cause the bbc does not need to attract higher viewing figures as its not selling advertising and similar

They want to provide the best service possible though and by having the top 4's games as the featured games then that will keep more viewers happy than showing Spurs, Boro etc.

ashton injured again, poor guy can't take a trick ....class effort on his opening goal.

lineker taking the **** out of shearer at the end when he gave his title prediction lol

shearer "i'm going to change my mind and go for chelsea for the title"
lineker "how can you change your mind???, it's the first show and you haven't given your initial prediction".

plank :p

Atleast Tottenham even get into the bubble :)

Its classic when the Geordies/Mackems/Smoggies have a go at work, they are all terrible yet constantly rib other teams.

00/01
11th Newcastle
12th Spurs

01/02
4th Newcastle
9th Spurs

02/03
3rd Newcastle
10th Spurs

03/04
5th Newcastle
14th Spurs

04/05
9th Spurs
14th Newcastle

05/06
5th Spurs
7th Newcastle

06/07
5th Spurs
13th Newcastle

07/08
11th Spurs
12th Newcastle

I don't see Spurs' little bubble.

Surely you would leave the best till last then?

A great deal of people (in Liverpool anyway :p) watch the early parts of MOTD then head out / leave the footy showing bars to continue with the rest of a Saturday night. Having it earlier on is a pretty good thing for me heh.

Also the earlier matches are more analysed traditionally.

It really wasn't. Not by a long way.
The Spurs game was actually an excellent game of football, sadly it was edited to **** by the Match of the Day lot. It was end to end for over an hour with Alves and Bent doing a phenomenal amount of running.

Of the 3 matches I watched yesterday, the Middlesbrough vs Tottenham Hotspur match was definitely the most enjoyable.

Personally I really don't see what all the fuss is about regarding the order teams get shown on MOTD, most fans will watch the whole show anyway.

If you just want to see your team play and have broadband internet, you might as well just watch it on iPLayer later and skip through to the relevant spot.

Pubs Reach The Limit With Sky

The days of watching the weekend game down at the local may be drawing to an end, as pubs are rapidly ditching televised football due to subscription hikes...

The Association of Licensed Multiple Retailers (ALMR) claims that more than 20 per cent of Britain's bars have discontinued their Sky subscriptions over the past five years.

The so-called credit crunch is at the heart of the problem, as the smoking ban and rises in maintenance costs and the price of drinks have seen pubs' custom dwindle, meaning landlords are looking eliminate any unnecessary expenditure.

Live football is one of the first luxuries to get the chop, and ALMR chief executive Nick Bish blames Sky's soaring prices for pushing a great tradition towards extinction.

"Watching a big game in the local with a group of friends is as close to being there as you can get," he said in The Guardian.

"It's also the only place fans can watch live Premiership action for free. This pleasure is being threatened by Sky's relentless price rises."

Sky's premium package currently costs around £13,000 per year , and the ALMR claims that the increase in subscriptions fees in recent years runs parallel to the rising price of alcohol.

"You have to sell a lot of beer to cover this extra cost so in these difficult economic times businesses are having to pass this on," Bish added.

However, Sky have denied claims of constant hikes, insisting their price structure has remained untouched since last year.

"Trading conditions are difficult for landlords, with rising utility bills and drinks prices and the credit crunch and smoking ban reducing customer demand," a spokesperson said.

"To assist publicans, we've kept our prices frozen at the September 2007 level."
:eek:

Back
Top Bottom