Premium Bonds - If you post to say how much you've won, please also say how much you have invested.

Soldato
You could earn 2.3k by banging that 50k in a fixed for a year.
But you'd pay tax on it.

My wife and my combined winnings on the premium bonds so far this calendar year average 3.9% tax-free.

The only irritation is that she almost invariably outwins me despite our identical holdings.

Soldato
But you'd pay tax on it.

My wife and my combined winnings on the premium bonds so far this calendar year average 3.9% tax-free.

The only irritation is that she almost invariably outwins me despite our identical holdings.
Well yes. I think 5k is the personal allowance per year or is it now 1k. I forget now with the recent changes but yes there could be tax liabilities based on your tax band.

Well yes. I think 5k is the personal allowance per year or is it now 1k. I forget now with the recent changes but yes there could be tax liabilities based on your tax band.

Its £1k and always has been on interest since introduced, as a basic rate taxpayer that is.
Its £500 as a higher and zero for the top band.

We got £125 this month, a £100 and a £25. Its on something like £32k from memory.
I should top it up but been S&S ISAing.

Soldato
Er. 4.8/100*50000? No?
no because there's a personal savings allowance of £500 and interest above that is taxed at 40%.
assuming 40% taxpayer, because that's the main scenario where premium bonds make sense.
you can pretty much assume the allowance is used up already and just multiply by .6

Did you get a D- in your Maths GCSE? :p
no but maybe you did :p

Last edited:
Soldato

I would think people who can afford to stick £50k in premium bonds likely have a limit of £500 per year or zero. That'll be exceeded very quickly at current interest rates.

Soldato
no because there's a personal savings allowance of £500 and interest above that is taxed at 40%.
assuming 40% taxpayer, because that's the main scenario where premium bonds make sense.
you can pretty much assume the allowance is used up already and just multiply by .6

no but maybe you did :p
Nice try but you didn't mention those factors, so it was correct. :p

Back
Top Bottom