Pro Cycling Discussion 2017

Soldato
Did anyone watch this new hammer series? Only caught the chase today but friend said the first 2 days were good and today's ttt was brilliant. Seems good for the neutral. And but easier to understand

Soldato
Did anyone watch this new hammer series? Only caught the chase today but friend said the first 2 days were good and today's ttt was brilliant. Seems good for the neutral. And but easier to understand

it was amazing - great addition to the cycling calendar - the TT yesterday was bonkers. Real crazy stuff!

Soldato
it was amazing - great addition to the cycling calendar - the TT yesterday was bonkers. Real crazy stuff!

Fantastic finish wasnt it! I'm trying not to say too much in case it's gone under anyones radar, but definitely worth a watch, will hopefully help to bring it to the non cycling folk and replace some of the minor races that are pointless and dull to watch apart from the last 10km. Seemed to be really accessible too with the team park.

Soldato
Like you, I caught the last 2 laps of the Chase and was totally glued to it! That finish & win by Sky was superb and so so lucky! LOL @ the TTT 'peloton'! The Commissionaires just having to give up trying to stop them drafting!

Was going to hunt down the other stages. Guy I rode with on Saturday said the sprint was superb too.

Soldato
Had a revelation last night, I think I read that the Dauphine is being shown on ITV so I can watch it on itvplayer for catchup, rather than fighting with Youtube garbage streams! :)

Soldato
Had a revelation last night, I think I read that the Dauphine is being shown on ITV so I can watch it on itvplayer for catchup, rather than fighting with Youtube garbage streams! :)

Breathe of fresh air. The ITV coverage is superb, I much prefer the French races as a TV viewer for the graphics/camera/commentators/coverage point of view.
David Millar is also coolest of the cool.

Soldato
Yeah, I really enjoyed their TdY coverage. Millar is superb, he came across very well explaining some of the racing intricacies really well.

On Eurosport I was quite surprised that Johnathan Edwards presenting the Giro coverage seemed so knowledgeable, I warmed to him as it came across he obviously loves cycling. Brian Smith & Steve Cummings were great too (found Cummings similar to Millar in some ways) but damn Antonio Fletcha was annoying! He was tricky to understand at times and I've always found him quite slimey. Fantastic rider and great he could speak to many of the riders in their native tongues, but he just doesn't do it for me as a presenter.

Soldato
Antonio Fletcha's passion & excitement overcomes him and I found him incredibly irritating, thats was until I saw him teary after speaking to Rolland after his stage win and I realise he just loves the sport.

Still sometimes he is incomprehensible and a bit disjointed.

Soldato
Good stage yesterday. Porte, froome in a bit of a league of their own,cant see aru/fuglsang going for all 3 weeks in le tour.

Going to enjoy today's stage, warm up for me as I'll be doing d'huez in less than a month for la marmotte...

Soldato
Dauphine was awesome.
I was sad for Porte for about 2 mins and then realised it was a good thing that happened. He had an amazing ride up to bridge back to Froome and almost defend the jersey but I just cannot warm to the guy. His comments in his interview after were pathetic..... You have no team around you, it's the final day and people are racing you.... So you moan about it. Bell. Of course people are willing to throw away their 2nd or 3rd places when they could go all in and get the win.... The entire point of racing is to win and you are racing on the world stage where the people funding your sport want to see drama and excitement. But no, everyone should parade and let you win? **** off. Looking forward to him making it to week 2 in the tour and binning it.

Soldato
Didn't see the interview, usually like Porte, but over 3 weeks he has always had a bad day or two that's chucked him out, and with the descending ability in the dry on show I can't see him getting close to winning Le Tour. Will wtach the interview tonight, but if he has gone down that route, he needs to realise like Dumoulin did you've got to control that win by yourself if necessary.

Soldato
Dauphine was awesome.
I was sad for Porte for about 2 mins and then realised it was a good thing that happened. He had an amazing ride up to bridge back to Froome and almost defend the jersey but I just cannot warm to the guy. His comments in his interview after were pathetic..... You have no team around you, it's the final day and people are racing you.... So you moan about it. Bell. Of course people are willing to throw away their 2nd or 3rd places when they could go all in and get the win.... The entire point of racing is to win and you are racing on the world stage where the people funding your sport want to see drama and excitement. But no, everyone should parade and let you win? **** off. Looking forward to him making it to week 2 in the tour and binning it.

Bit harsh IMO. I see Porte as one of the good guys, who is normally rather unlucky. It was probably the disappointment in not winning the race that caused the outburst, not unlike Dumoulin did in the Giro. In hindsight they probably regret saying some of the stuff they do but they are all charged up after the race and say things in anger.

Soldato
Antonio Fletcha's passion & excitement overcomes him and I found him incredibly irritating, thats was until I saw him teary after speaking to Rolland after his stage win and I realise he just loves the sport.

Still sometimes he is incomprehensible and a bit disjointed.
Typical Argentinian/Spanyard really! He's great and was a fantastic rider but he needs a cohort, someone to steer him and do the actual presenting. I get the current 'thing' is to have a presenter ride part of the course and then comment on it, but get someone to discuss it with him or something.

Matt Stephens (GCN guy) was great on the commentary but again, so passionate he was getting pretty incomprehensible at time when things kicked off and there were riders and groups scattered over the final climb. Like when Froome attacked, both presenters commented it was Kwaitkowski when only a few seconds before we'd seen him burying himself on the front. Not even little flower could attack like that when already at max. Sure enough a second later we could see he'd clearly blown, almost stationary when caught & passed by Porte, yet neither presenter commented...! They were nattering about something largely unrelated to the action unfolding on the road.

Good stage yesterday. Porte, froome in a bit of a league of their own,cant see aru/fuglsang going for all 3 weeks in le tour.
It was a fantastic final. Only saw the highlights so really missed much of the early race. Sounds like it was brutal with attacks from the off! Porte did incredibly well considering how isolated he was.

Dauphine was awesome.

Can understand his frustration, but equally what did he expect? It's bike racing! If he was annoyed then it's his team that wasn't up to the task & he can't expect immediate respect from other teams as a GC contender when he's largely unproven as a GT leader/winner. Everyone had done the same to Froome for many years when he was riding as one of Froomes domestiques, equally, he'd done the same to other teams when riding for Sky!

I think he and Froome should've been more aware of Fuglsang and Aru, they'd had a clear warning shot the day on Mont du Chat. The race was Astana's to chase and they really put it to Sky & BMC getting Aru up the road and Fuglsang in that GC group. I felt slightly bad for Froome, in that group and nobody else willing to help him chase, several of them could've podium'd if they'd caught Fuglsang - maybe even top 5 overall. Froome showed he's in good form but just lacking that last few % to finish it off, even without it he was dropping GC contenders from his wheel. Porte in incredible form (better than expected?) - he'll be the one to beat, but I just wonder if he's peaked too early. The real test will be on the rest of BMC - if they can't keep him protected I don't think he stands a chance, he can't chase 80% of the moves in the mountains alone.

There will be lots of new GC guys up there in the Tour, several of them will have cemented their Tour team selection. Fuglsang will be interesting to watch, I normally hate Astana but I've warmed to him as a rider. He comes across in interviews well too. So many young riders doing well is superb to see! And what about Ben Swift too, bet Sky are kicking themselves letting him go! :cool:

Soldato
It's a funny situation. Porte was going well way back in January and he is going well start of June... Cannot help but think he will not maintain or peak in form for 17th July onwards and it will crumble. He also does not have a super team in BMC just like I don't think this year Froome really has the super team he has been used to for previous 2 years. Froome, however, will absolutely nail his performance peak for the tour as he has this to a fine art and his only worry is A) having a team capable, B) getting to week 2 and 3 in one piece.

I do not think Aru is where he needs to be to contend but he does have a super domestique in Fuglsang.
As above for Quintana whilst having Valverde.
Contador, Chaves, Yates are not in contention based on recent unfortunately.
Bardet. Watch him ;) Maintenance mode through weeks 1&2, if he keeps quiet and in contention, come 3rd week... I am calling it here first :)

Soldato
Have to say I was quite disappointed in Chaves' result/riding in the Dauphine (and Yates' to a lesser degree, it hurt to see him going backwards and not be able to stick on Porte's wheel). Both Yates' twins & Chaves are due big wins at some point, so is Bardet for that matter (long overdue)!

Interesting you mention 2 peaks of Porte's form, Kwaitkowski has done similar over a shorter period - he was very competitive in the classics and the Dauphine.

Froome has some quality around him if they're all on form - Kennaugh, Thomas, Rowe & Stannard cannot be underestimated. Kennaugh is obviously in good form (he always seems to be!), Rowe is always one to watch, such a workhorse (if he's in the tour team?). Thomas is in good form (if he can hold it from the Giro) and clears his injury, he has a point to prove. Stannard wasn't looking good when we last saw him, but if he comes into form he'll be dangerous. If Sky can get all of those guys in form it's one hell of a line up & 60% of the team already! ;)

Soldato
Poels is a main mountain man. I fear without him and G being 100% the team will suffer. The way they race the Tour is a masterclass of team discipline and control so they need to have that 100% team or they simply will not be capable of such control.... This does make the race potentially more interesting and exciting though if they are not in such a strong position coming in as previous years!

Soldato
Whats up with Poels actually, I've missed where he is? I reckon Froome will have a strong side out again and as usual Sky will peak at just the right time.

I think this year it will be more about having people available on different days rather than the trains of years of late. Landa will probably carry his form through, Nieve will be there on some days, Kwiat and Kennaugh both look as though they will be there for the medium mountain days if picked, then the usual Stannard or Rowe brutes marshalling the flatter days, can see Moscon or Danny Van Poppel being picked if their form is still there from early season.

Movistar will have more strength in the mountains but suspect they won't have a good enough overall squad. Can't wait, gonna enjoy watching Planche Des Belles Filles in person! Hopefully should be a good first summit finish!

Back
Top Bottom